Ubisoft Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.9

Game Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ubisoft (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2008.

Interview

i applied online.There was a preliminary screening process

dont know why..

No Job Title Interview

Anonymous Employee in Quebec, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (Quebec, QC (Canada)).

Interview

I was informed via e-mail that I would be getting a review by Ubisoft by their Graphics Technical Director, with out any knowledge of which position (I applied to a few to better my chances, but also have 4 different degrees). As soon as the review started I was told I was a number, while being internally referred by an Associate Technical Director and Motion Capture Director. I went through an incredibly strenuous five review process going through a battery of tests, while being informed that someone was going to help pull for me to reviewer. During this time my website was hacked into, and confronted the reviewer after looking at my website and half of my stuff wasn't working properly. I was pretty upset, the person reviewing my work never got back with me about it, and at the end didn't get this position that I don't even know to this day that I did not get, but also I find out months down the road from Human Resources that based on "Operations of Studios" that my referrals didn't go through while the Assistant Technical Director was pulling for me at a different studio location, same with the Motion Capture Director. I was talking with Coaches, Animators, Directors at the time to get to know the culture, understand what type of environment I would be in if I was given the opportunity, but based on the fact that I knew others in a different studio location, while being told I'm being internally referred and being pulled for, based on operations of studios and studio to studio operations it does not do anything. I still to this day, after a 5 week review, which I even followed up with the reviewer, never got back to me, but told me to keep applying. Outside of that fact, but issues with my website once it was over. I talked with an Animator of the company after I was done, also with the Motion Capture Director, also an Assistant Technical Director about it, and they told me to let it go, also to move on completely. Also to not worry about it. Even still to this day, like I said, I don't even know what position it was for.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Ubisoft (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2010.

Interview

Before we start, Ubisoft Toronto has received 260 million dollars in funding from the Ontario Government in an effort to create jobs. With that in mind let’s begin.

I first applied to Ubisoft Toronto online. I was really impressed with their job board and I was eager to hear from them. Sadly, it after a month I haven’t heard anything. It was really hard to even get a hold at anybody in the company. I know it’s difficult to get a job in the video game industry and they have a lot of wannabes who apply to them every day. I completely understand why it is so hard and why the interview process would be so closed. But this really hurts people who know what they are doing and are trying to get a job.

It took me several long distance calls over a period of about a week to actually get to the HR department at Ubisoft Toronto. I finally got the number and the right person to call.

The interview started off. However, at every interview for a video game company you are going to get asked this question: “Do you have experience in the video game industry”. You pretty much have to say yes to this or else you won’t even get considered for a job.

Luckily, I had programmed, designed and made the art to several games. I also satisfied the technical requirements to upload to console and mobile marketplaces. I made all of the parts of a game from scratch and uploaded them to commercial marketplaces to sell. The reason why I made these games is that few people in the industry have made commercial games by themselves (especially console games).

This is where the interview took a sharp 180 degree turn. Apparently, all of my accomplishments on my resume were in-adequate. I should also point out I have a 4 year bachelor’s degree from a respected university as well. At this point the interviewer was a little bit rude and condescending which I felt was unnecessary. Instead of talking about my accomplishments he dismissed them. What was really needed was experience on a AAA game. This is problematic because in order to get experience on a AAA game you need a job first and most of the time a circular logic argument is presented.

I had then told him how hard it was for me to actually program, make the art, design and satisfy the certifications to upload to the various marketplaces. I had told him that in order to actually get these games out to the marketplace I had to put in long hours after my job. For me being productive and ambitious were not just bullet points on my resume, I had proof and I did the absolute best job I could with the resources I had.

The interviewer was not impressed, and I really got the sense that he didn't even want to talk to me further. I had then explained that my current job was very unsatisfying and I longed to be with creative and ambitious people like myself. It wasn't enough and the interviewer said something along the lines of “We really need people with AAA experience”

I really tried to fight through that with as much logic as I could but that circular logic wall was put up at every turn. I made sure I had a regular portfolio and resume that a standard person would apply with. My name was in the credits for several indie games. But indie games are not AAA games and are therefore irrelevant at least in the particular interviewer’s mind.

Eventually the interview questions and answers just went around in circles and I ended the conversation. I personally felt defeated.

I should point out that if you go find the LinkedIn of employees that were hired most of them have not made and sold games. Lots of them don’t know how to code.

In the following months I applied to Ubisoft and tried to contact the same person and other HR people at company but I had a feeling I had been blacklisted as my calls and emails were not returned. I would have loved to come for a programming test or something along those lines. If I had come in, got tested and failed I would have felt much better about the situation. For me, failing that test would have proved to me that I was not ready to work there. Instead the interview left me a little bitter for a few months after.

Ubisoft grosses about 975 Euros or about 1 billion USD a year. Their net profits are around the 260 Euro range. Why they needed to use taxpayer money to fund their operation in Ontario is a little confusing. That 260 million dollars that was granted was supposed to create jobs in Ontario.

In conclusion it was a difficult interview. As hard as I tried to make my resume competitive it simply wasn’t enough. The tone of voice and condescending remarks about my portfolio were a little unprofessional.

I wish Ubisoft and other applicants the best of luck. If somebody from Ubsioft is reading this, then I suggest reviewing your hiring policies.

Interview Questions

• How many games do you play in your spare time?   1 Answer

Level Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ubisoft (Singapore (Singapore)).

Interview

Sent my resume and got a interview, followed by a test. After being shortlisted, went down for another interview.

Interview Questions

• What game have you played recently, which mechanic do you like and how would you change it.   Answer Question

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (Pune (India)) in July 2014.

Interview

They got my profile from some recruiting website and the interview was straight forward with a technical round which lasted 1 hour and 30 min and then a test and a technical round after that.

Interview Questions

• About memory management-> everything related to this topic   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary is bit of a downside in Ubisoft India studio but you are building games ;)

Tools Audio Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ubisoft (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

initial short call from HR to know expected salary, why interested, etc. Then 2 programming tests, one on audio programming and one on general c++ programming. I think I took too long on the general test, I took like 3hrs when it was limited to 2hrs... in any case my performance on that test wasn't good enough to get an interview

Interview Questions

• audio programming was quite basic, e.g., what is an audio sequencer, what is pro tools. Not really any programming questions in that one. For the general tests, assembly questions (which I ignored), some c#, and some general math/3d questions, like how many vertices are required to be rendered when a game is streaming with a given refresh rate and the player is moving at a speed of X m/s yadayada (pretty sure I bombed that one lol).   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (Montreal, QC (Canada)).

Interview

Took a long time: initial phone interview to filter out bogus candidates. Then a technical interview, then interview with immediate superior + HR drone. Process took about 4 weeks. It did not help that it was during summer, I understand that.

Interview Questions

• Describe all processes involved during initial boot of a server   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negociated my holydays more than my pay itself. I did get what I wanted but it took some talking; they were initialy not inclined to give me what I wanted until I walked out of the negociation; they then came back with an agreement on what I've asked.

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (Pune (India)) in April 2014.

Interview

Fast response. Had applied in their portal. Qualified the written design test but messed up in the telephonic round. Time for the written test was 24 hrs. Telephonic round was tricky. Hard to concentrate on who was asking the questions. Was interviewed by a panel on 3. One was a foreigner. Within 7 days I got a mail which said my profile is on hold.

Interview Questions

• how do you explain the developer the game mechanism of your game?   Answer Question

Technical Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (Singapore (Singapore)) in April 2015.

Interview

After I contacted the recruiter from Linkedin, a phone interview was arrange the next day. And for a big company it was really fast that an interview had been arrange on the following week. The recruiter is cool and do reminds me on stuff that I should take note on the actual interview.

At this point I am still waiting for my last interview.

Public Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied on Ubisoft website. First had a phone interview with university relations manager. Three weeks later went into office for in person interview. Was interviewed by the entire public relations team in five groups of two for half an hour each so I was there for two and a half hours. All pretty much asked the same questions. Got back to me two weeks later.