Ubisoft

Ubisoft Interview Questions

Updated Nov 1, 2014
Updated Nov 1, 2014

Generalist Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft in May 2013.

Phone interview of about 20 minutes with recruiter to know the reason why I applied, my expected salary range and when I would be available. I answered I'd give three weeks notice to my current employer.

Interview on site with recruiter, team lead and director. Technical and non-technical questions. Their intention was to know my personnality, my strengths and weaknesses, how I would fit in the team. They kindly answered my questions, really honest answers. Interview lasted about one hour. They said I'd get an technical interview online that I'd be able to answer from home, needed to plan for 100 minutes.

Got the technical questions, took about 120 minutes to complete at my own pace. Very broad range of subjects as it was intended for a generalist programmer.

A phone about one week after the technical questions to plan for a small phone interview. This interview was with recruiter, two team leads and the director and they wanted to know more about my long term goals, had questions about my personal career path up to that point.

Got a phone call 3-4 days after the last phone interview, saying they wanted to give me an offer but needed to verify some professional references before, which I gave them the next day.

The verification of references took about one week and I got an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about MMX specific Assembly code. I don't know much about Assembly other than my general course on computer architecture in University.   View Answer
    No negotiation, the offer was fine for me.

No Job Title Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quebec, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quebec, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft.

I was informed via e-mail that I would be getting a review by Ubisoft by their Graphics Technical Director, with out any knowledge of which position (I applied to a few to better my chances, but also have 4 different degrees). As soon as the review started I was told I was a number, while being internally referred by an Associate Technical Director and Motion Capture Director. I went through an incredibly strenuous five review process going through a battery of tests, while being informed that someone was going to help pull for me to reviewer. During this time my website was hacked into, and confronted the reviewer after looking at my website and half of my stuff wasn't working properly. I was pretty upset, the person reviewing my work never got back with me about it, and at the end didn't get this position that I don't even know to this day that I did not get, but also I find out months down the road from Human Resources that based on "Operations of Studios" that my referrals didn't go through while the Assistant Technical Director was pulling for me at a different studio location, same with the Motion Capture Director. I was talking with Coaches, Animators, Directors at the time to get to know the culture, understand what type of environment I would be in if I was given the opportunity, but based on the fact that I knew others in a different studio location, while being told I'm being internally referred and being pulled for, based on operations of studios and studio to studio operations it does not do anything. I still to this day, after a 5 week review, which I even followed up with the reviewer, never got back to me, but told me to keep applying. Outside of that fact, but issues with my website once it was over. I talked with an Animator of the company after I was done, also with the Motion Capture Director, also an Assistant Technical Director about it, and they told me to let it go, also to move on completely. Also to not worry about it. Even still to this day, like I said, I don't even know what position it was for.

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annecy (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Annecy (France)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ubisoft in February 2013.

2 phone interviews, one with HR and then with studio production team, and then followed by an on-site interview. On-site was over half a day and introduced me to the direction group and team I would be working with. Standard interview questions and very friendly.

Able to negotiate start date, salary and relocation

Junior Software Developer Interview

Their recruiter contacted me and arranged an interview soon after. After a few more interviews I received the jobs. It took them a week to send an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Given numbers 1 to 100 in an array a random number was replaced with 0. Find the which number it was in constant time (100).   View Answer
    I did not negotiate anything. was too dumb.

3D Gameplay Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft.

3-4 rounds of interview which includes various technical and aptitude tests.

1-2 weeks

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bucharest (Romania)

I applied online – interviewed at Ubisoft in October 2012.

I was contacted by phone, by the HR department after having applied online. An interview regarding HR and technical questions was setup. The questions was easy and common in any interview for this position. The next steps included 3 more interviews: one with the HR department, and 2 technical interviews.
    I did not like the fact that the initial technical interview was with a person from the HR department, not with a technical person. I find that disrespectful for any candidate applying for a technical position.

I got a better offer.

Community Manager EMEA Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ubisoft.

I first applied online after a few weeks I heard back from them and was asked to have a phone interview with them. Had that about a week later, a day later I was asked to come to an in person interview at their office. Then after a week they sent me an email it was a no, there was another better suited candidate.

Game Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

I applied online – interviewed at Ubisoft.

Apply for the post online on ubisoft pune official site. If they accept your resume the will reply for the interview.

Programmeur Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ubisoft.

J'ai candidaté en ligne sur un site dédié. J'ai ensuite été contacté par les ressources humaines pour un entretien. Mon premier entretien ne m'a pas permis d'obtenir un emploi, mais on m'a recommandé à une autre équipe et j'ai finalement été embauché.

Interview Questions
    • On vous demande de répondre en anglais à une question de culture vidéoludique. Ce qui peut s'avérer difficile pour les français.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bucharest (Romania)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ubisoft.

I interviewed a long time ago - things surely changed in the meantime.
    There are now tests involved and what they are after is a very trained, logical, structured person.
    Make sure you built some mods, built some levels and understand the basics of game design - rules, sign&feedback, etc.
    Search the internet for the Ubisoft Design Academy courses. I remember a Gamasutra article - that might help.

Interview Questions
    • You will be asked to design something - so make sure your design patterns are clear and progressive.
      If I might seem like i talk nonsense - welcome to the design world :)
        Answer Question
    I had very little choice at that time and I got a small salary - but the journey was fun.