Uhlig

Updated Aug 14, 2014
Updated Aug 14, 2014

2.6

Staff Writer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uhlig.

The most notable aspect of the process is that I inquired about whether I might need an accommodation during the skills test. I didn't know if aspects of the testing would need to be adjusted because of my disability. I emailed the in-house recruiting department and asked if someone could discuss the testing conditions to help me determine if I needed to request an accommodation. I received no response to my query. The next day, I left a phone message to the same effect for the department. I got no answer. I called again the following two days and left similar messages. I still received no answer.

The day before the scheduled test, I called the main number at Uhlig and explained my situation. I asked if there was someone in human resources who could speak with me about my accommodation query. After being put on hold, I was informed that nobody was available to help me with my question. The person I spoke to neither provided me with contact information for someone with whom I could follow up, nor did she request my contact information so a representative of Uhlig could contact me.

Subsequent to the conversation detailed above, I emailed the recruiting department again and stated that I had tried several times to connect with them so I could find out if I needed to request an accommodation for the test. I explained that, since I'd gotten no answer after repeated attempts to reach them over a period that spanned two weeks, I would need to postpone my testing date until that conversation could take place.

I finally received a call from someone in the recruiting department. This individual seemed to not understand what "requesting an accommodation" means, though that is the specific language used in disability laws and by employers. For example, when I asked what equipment would be needed for the test, I was told there wasn't anything I needed to bring with me. I explained that what I meant by equipment was what equipment the tester would be using (e.g., the type of computer, the monitor and its resolution). I also asked about the conditions in the room itself.

The individual I spoke with said it was a paper test and that anyone could take it. This individual's lack of disability accommodation awareness surprised me. Those with advanced arthritis, chronic pain syndromes, or limited use of limbs—just to name a few relevant disabilities—might not be able to take a paper test or perform well under those conditions. Uhlig’s belief that it has established a system which allows “anyone” to perform on the test when the conditions actually create a barrier for some applicants is problematic. Those with disabilities should not encounter barriers of any kind as part of the interview process.

I related that I had been trying for days to have my questions about a potential accommodation addressed. I said that might be a process they want to look into so other applicants don't have the same difficulty making an accommodation request in the future. When I was met with defensiveness, I explained that, as a patient advocate, my concern was to help remove barriers for others with disabilities. I didn't want to see what had happened to me be a deterrent for anyone else. I conveyed that my suggestion stemmed from a desire to streamline the process for others and that I hoped the department and the company as a whole would welcome the feedback.

Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uhlig in September 2012.

HR emailed and requested writing samples and compensation requirements. A few days later, they asked me to come in to take a skills test that included proofreading a news story and completing a writing exercise. Next, they scheduled interview with the "hiring" manager, although his boss was actually the one asking the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or difficult. They seemed particularly interested in why I left previous jobs. Hiring manager's boss was borderline unpleasant.   Answer Question

Logo Creator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Uhlig in July 2011.

There is a test everyone has to take before they can receive an interview. It covers punctuation, font recognition, spelling and a few other things. I passed the written test and was granted an interview. The woman that interviewed me asked the standard cookie cutter questions. This company want people who will say there is no such thing as a mistake. You have to aim for perfection. I could tell by the type of questions I was being asked. They also are only looking for a certain demographic to hire. I recently submitted an application for another position I qualified for. I received a response saying my skills are impressive, but i am being denied an interview. I have never heard of a company informing you that they are deciding not to offer you an interview. I am investigating Uhlig and looking into their hiring practices.

Interactive Media Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lenexa, KS

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uhlig in February 2011.

Overall the hiring process was standard consisting of a phone interview asking about essential skills and getting to know you as a person. Then I was asked to meet with a HR director where I was informed of the benefits which were substandard. Afterwards I was asked to meet with the department hiring manager where I spoke with him where he seemed a little less than happy about his job. While his input was informative he was definitely making it clear that he did not like his job. Afterwards I did a skills evaluation based on my knowledge of programming when the job requirements were specifically based around design not development. After this process I met with the board of directors where they all asked me a series of questions, pretty much the same as the HR director. Do not treat them like regular people apparently they believe they are higher than you and being yourself and showing them who you are as a professional is not smart. After my interview process I was call a week later informing me that I was a really good candidate but the owner of the company decided not to hire for the position anymore and was not sure if they needed the position. While I understood this it completely contradicted what the hiring manager said, specifying that they had the budget to hire 4 interactive designers and wanted to expand in this area. I was call 2 weeks after tha saying they were sorry but they did not know what was going on and they understand if I had to consider other employment. a week later I was mailed a letter saying I was not qualified for the position. So if you plan on looking for a job in this are I would consider my options and keep your expectations low when applying here.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to overcome a problem with a client   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uhlig in May 2010.

After several skills tests on excel, writing, etc., the kicker was the lame panel interview with the VPs and CEO. The VP who I would have reported to, if I had taken their lowball offer, was clearly not interested in the process. She walked out 5 minutes into the interview complaining of a ticklish throat. I had indications from the HR person that she was difficult to get along with. Since she had someone else in mind for the job, an internal friend perhaps, it seemed like a disaster waiting to happen.

Interview Questions

The VP I would report to had a chip on her shoulder because they didn't hire someone else. The company is tightfisted and pays a lousy salary. Also, I don't like to be offered 3k less than I'm currently making to take a crappy job as a PM on a staff that is generally underpaid.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uhlig in February 2010.

I can confirm the previous posters experience . I had a face to face interview and was asked to return for a second interview the following week with the director of H/R. Upon arrival for the second interview I was asked to fill out an application and take a skills test, this is where it gets strange. The position I was applying for was a Financial Analyst the skills test was based of copy editing, proofreading and name that typeset. After completing the forms I was told that the person I was to interview with had an emergency meeting and that they would have to call me If they would like to interview me again. A few days later I received a letter informing me that there where no positions available. I do not mind coming in to take a test but a least be truthful with people and tell them your real intentions.

Interview Questions
    • Do you object to long hours and staying until the job is done?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uhlig in September 2009.

I originally applied for a Sales Representative Position online at CareerBuilder.com. I then received an email from Rossana Scaglia inviting me to take their skills test. Because their were no details about the compensation for this position listed on the the job posting, I told Rossana to only schedule me to come into take the test if a base salary of 48k or higher was feasible for this position. So she confirmed by scheduling my test for the next week. So I take off work to take this test that involves copy editing, spelling, etc... (Not the easiest test in the world, but not the SAT either). A week later I receive another email from Rossana inviting me for an interview. So I take off work AGAIN so I can interview with the Hiring Manager, Laura Ann McGinnis. I'm on my way out the door, when I get a call asking to postpone the meeting until the end of the week because something came up with Laura. So I ask off work AGAIN to meet with Laura. When I arrive, I have a great conversation with Rosanna as I wait 20 minutes past my interview time for Laura (plus 10 minutes since I showed up early). The interview goes fine for the first part, but then she starts talking about compensation, benefits etc... Right around this time I notice that she was being very vague, and kind of beating around the bush. Since I've been in sales for a while, and I wasn't born last night, I start to probe and ask the questions to get to what she was failing to tell me. It turns out the position is straight commission (not even a draw). To top it off you only get paid once a month and the commissions are a month behind. Additionally, the first 90 days is a trial period to see whether they like you or not (you have to earn working for free?). Right about now I am getting really peeved off because I took 3 days off work when I specifically told them not to schedule my skills test unless they could match or exceed a base of 48k. Now here is the icing on the cake...she kept trying to tell me she was justified in saying they were going to exceed that base and well beyond by giving me a "book of business." So I ask more questions about this so called "book of business." It turns out Laura's definition of "book of business" is a list of company names that have the potential of being able to use Uhlig's product. I'm sorry a "book of business" in my mind is a list of existing clients, or at the very least a prospect that has expressed interest in buying your product. She was trying to scam me into making a bad career decision. A phone book that list all of the managed properties in the area does not replace a base of 48k. You have got to be out of your (fill in with your favorite profanity) mind. I want my 3 days of vacation back, and a written apology to my wife who is just as happy as I am about how we went through this emotional roller coaster thinking we might have a future with this company to only being let down in the end.

Interview Questions
    • "Why don't you want this job, hundreds of people that I have interviewed want it...you're are the only one that has a problem with no base."   View Answer

Because I wanted to be able to pay for my mortgage, and still have money left over for food to eat.