Uline

Relevance Date Difficulty

Director of Purchasing and Inventory Interview

Director of Purchasing and Inventory
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Uline in March 2011.

Interview Details – Uline responded to my resume submitted in response to their posting on Career Builder. They advised that based on my resume they would like to schedule an interview at their headquarters in Pleasant Prairie, WI. A time and date was set, and the HR Representative said that she would be e-mailing me some release and forms to fill out and brought with to the scheduled intereview, as well as some on-line tests to be completed and returned by e-mail prior to the interview date.

The forms to be completed included a Pre-Employement Inquiry Release to allow a background check, a Consent Form to allow drug testing, a Personal Information Form regarding address history and criminal convictions authorizing further background checkes, and an Emplyment Application.

The tests to be completed on-line included a version of a Jung Typology Test to "identify" your personality type. A "Sales Success Profile" test is in included, which is strictly a test of knowledge of current sales fashion and jargon. The third and final test is called "Uline Writing Style," in which you have to summarize a give paragraph down into a concise statement consisting of key bullet points. It took approximately 3-4 hours work to complete the three tests.

The interview was a one-on-one session with a HR Manager, and consisted of fairly standard first inverview background questions. There were several questions regarding number of SKU's managed at past positions. This is obviously a concern for a catalog company with over 20m sku's. Another question was, "what is a mistake that you made in a prior position"? An attempt was made to draw out a specific dollar amount salary requirement from me, to which I did not give a specific response. The inverview took only slightly over 30 minutes, and was described as a "preliminary interview." I was advised that my responses would be discussed with the individuals this position would report to, and that I would hear from Uline within a week.

Approximately one week later I received an e-mail thanking me, and advising that Uline would be pursuing other candidates whose background more closely matched their needs, but that my resume would be kept on file for a year, should other possibilities arise.

The interview process was professional and efficient, and would not have been unreasonable were it not for the excessive amount of time that was required to complete the tests that they demanded. I do not know of any other firm that requires a lengthy Sales test be completed , reportedly by all Uline applicants, regardless of the position for which they are applying. This is a strong and rapidly growing firm, but they have a reputation for calling a huge number of applicants for all advertised positions, so understand what you are getting into when you apply.

Interview Question – What is a mistake that you made in your position at a previous employer?   Answer Question

Director of Purchasing and Inventory Interview

Director of Purchasing and Inventory
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Uline in February 2011.

Interview Details – Uline has you submit 4 tests including your personality, sales, writing, and the way you perform at work based on a series of questions. I thought this was extensive for a phone interview. Took about two hours to complete all of the tasks.
I am not sure why I had to take a test on sales, when the position is not in sales, none-the-less I of course completed it.
HR performed the first interview. It appears the interview is very scripted and very quick, maybe 30 minutes.

Interview Question – What is your greatest career achievement?   Answer Question

Worked for Uline? Contribute to the Community!