Uline

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Interview

IT
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Uline in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online via Uline website, and received a call about two days after. Went to the headquarters in Wisconsin about 2 weeks later for an on site interview. When getting there took two quick matching/pattern tests before my interview. Afterwards stayed to take 3 different Microsoft Office proficiency tests that tested basic skills on Access, Excel, and Word

Interview Question – Nothing to difficult - Mostly behavioral questions ( What classes have you taken in the current field? Relevant work experience, strengths and weaknesses...)   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied online and interviewed at Uline.

Interview Details – I had 2 interviews. The first one with and HR rep. 4 weeks later I had a second interview with the person who would've been my supervisor. I never heard back after that interview. I think when a company can't even let you know the position has been filled is VERY poor practice.

Interview Question – Talking about the whole dress code experience - women must wear dresses or skirts with panythose.   Answer Question

Customer Service Management Trainee Interview

Customer Service Management Trainee
Hudson, WI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Uline in June 2014.

Interview Details – Job Fair was posted online at the Hudson, Wisconsin location for 06/05/2014 from 5-7pm. Arrived at 5:15pm and was directed to a parking space by individuals with flags (like what occurs at an event parking - e.g. concerts). This is am early indication that there may be a good number of people attending the job fair. Upon entering the warehouse (which is the cleanest warehouse I have EVER seen) you approach a table. If you don't have a completed application (which is available online) you're directed to a group of tables to complete an application. If you have a completed application (or have just completed one), a representative at the table quickly reviews it for completeness and then signs the "witness" portion on the last page. You're then given back the completed application and directed to a seating area. From the seating area, you (and a group of other people) are directed to a row of tables. Once everyone is seated, representatives administer 2 timed (4 minutes each) tests. One test has you identify like numbers - e.g. 1284 - 1248 (does not match), 8589 - 8589 (match), and 9232 - 9332) (does not match). The other test measures your ability to recognize number sequences - e.g. 2,4,6,8,10...what are the next two numbers? Answer: 12, 14

After the tests, your test sheets and application/resume are gathered and you're directed to another seating area. (Note: All these table/seating areas are in the actual warehouse....separated by security tape...next to each other) In front of this seating area multiple 2-chair groupings.....2 chairs facing each other with about 10 feet between each grouping. When called from the seating area by a representative, they take you to one of the grouping...you sit down facing the representative...and the interview begins. After the interview ends, they thank you for coming and direct you to the exit.

OBSERVATIONS:
1) As noted in other reviews, I saw no minorities or what appeared to be anyone over the age of 45 during the interview process.
2) Privacy was almost non-existent. While waiting to be called for the interview portion of the process, you could hear the interview conversations occurring in the seating pods closest to the seating area.
3) There was a constant flow of people going through the multi-step process during the time I was there.
4) The warehouse was clean to the point of concern. I've been called a neat freak...but the cleanliness of the warehouse - e.g. ALL the box inventory on the warehouse racks were shrink wrapped - borders on some type of compulsive/cleanliness disorder.
5) The length of the interviews varied. I observed some that lasted 20 minutes and others that ended in 5 minutes. My interview lasted about 10 minutes and consisted of 3 questions: Tell me about you work experience? Why do you want to work for Uline? Do you have any questions? Very simple and superficial questions. It seemed to me that the interviewer (who stated she was a Lead Representative at the call center) lacked interviewing experience and thus the reason for the simple, direct questions. (Note: As I was applying for the Customer Service Management Trainee position, I couldn't help but wonder to myself why the company had posted the position; as most companies like to hire from within - e.g. Lead Representatives. While an outside perspective is valuable at times, good management will generally focus on developing people within their organization for promotion.)
6) I have lived in Minnesota for 10 years and have seen Uline posting jobs (warehouse, management, call representative and administrative) consistently during those 10 years - even during the Great Recession following 2008. I've always wondered why they are constantly posting job vacancies - especially given the associated pay scales for the positions. As a veteran employee of both a call center and warehouse distribution environment, I understand that the industries experience high turnover....but that much turnover? And can a company grow that much...so consistently....over 10 years?

New Position Interview

New Position
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Uline in June 2014.

Interview Details – Uline emailed me immediately that they had other more qualified candidates, then called me for an interview. They emailed multiple "assessments" and then had me take a couple more then I arrived for the interview. Everyone there was professional in their manner. I had an interview with HR and another with the manager. They spent a lot of time with me, and the HR area was FULL of people applying for various positions.

Interview Question – How do you handle stress in your personal life?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Warehouse Associate Interview

Warehouse Associate
Coppell, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Uline in June 2014.

Interview Details – First there are a few basic skills test. Math and problem solving assessment. You have 4 minutes to complete or answer as many questions as you can. Then there is the pre interview with an HR representative. If you get pass these, you're on your way to a second interview. Good Luck. You'll need all you can over credentials.

Interview Question – credit. Geese! I wasn't buying a car or house!   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

Finance Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Uline in March 2014.

Interview Details – For the Finance Intern position, there was a two step interview process. After applying through our school's career center, Uline conducted a pre-screen interview on campus with basic HR questions (leadership roles, skills, past experience). Next, they called out interns for on-site interviews with several of their accounting and finance analysts. Either after or before the interviews, they would ask interns to do simple math tests (identify dissimilar numbers, basic addition) within a constrained time (200 questions in 1 minute). They ask that you do not skip questions or jump but purely do as much as you can. In addition, they also asked that you complete a series of Microsoft Office tests (Word, Access, Excel) before your on site interviews.

Interview Question – None of their questions are extremely difficult but they are extremely selective of their interns. They look for that "home-grown" Mid-Western feel that fits their culture. The most likely want candidates who will be there in the long run and not someone who will intern and leave for another full time offer   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager

Interviewed at Uline

Interview Details – The interview process is very antiquated. 1st - The human resource representative could not answer basic questions regarding the position i.e. Why is the position open? Who does the open position report to? I was told that I should ask the human resource manager when I came in for the interview (which was comparable to a phone screening. The HR manager suggested that I ask the hiring team several questions) . 2nd - I had to take a 50 question Sales Assessment along with 3 other assessments before the interview. I was told that everyone had to take the Sales Assessment regardless of the position being applied for, 3rd - I had to take some numbers tests i.e. numbers sequencing and numbers verification. A simple phone screening could have saved both Uline and myself time.

Interview Question – Question on the Sales Assessment: What is an “objection” of a sale?   Answer Question

Internet Marketing Specialist Interview

Internet Marketing Specialist
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied online - interviewed at Uline in March 2014.

Interview Details – I first interviewed with Uline at their headquarters in Pleasant Prairie, WI after taking several assessments sent to me via email. Once you get to the office, you are asked to take some numbers tests and a computer assessment. The first interview is primarily behavioral and you speak with a HR person. It was very much expected. In the second round of interviews I spoke with the people would be the immediate manager and his manager for this position. Here they went more in depth about the position and wanted to ensure that I was really interested in the position. In the end, I was not offered a position.

Interview Question – Are you really interested in this position?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Pleasant Prairie, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Uline in April 2014.

Interview Details – I went through two interviews. The first was a general HR interview, basically learning about your background and basic questions about your resume. The second interview was two hours long. It consisted talking to four different people for 30 mins each. These were more in depth interviews consisting of behavioral type interview questions and trying to see if you fit with the organization and vice versa. The process as a whole was long but nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Question – What is something that you have not told me about yourself from the questions we have already discussed?   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
Milwaukee, WI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Uline in April 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was fast, I received a interview confirmation a week after applied. This interview was a general interview and not to know skills for the position. I performed several test online, and a couple more on site such as detail oriented test, and numerical series analyses.

Interview Question – what kind of leadership style do you like more?   View Answer