Ulta Beauty

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

General Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview Details – Initially contacted via Linked In by an Ulta Recruiter. Once passed those set of questions, sent to District Manager for interview. Then once I accepted the offer, was sent for testing.

Interview Question – Lots of behavioral and IQ type questions need to be passed after the interview on line. How do you lead questions are the brunt of the questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I actually declined the first contact then was contacted several months later again for " pick my brain " questions from the District Manager. I ended up giving them a second consideration and accepted the offer because of the benefits and pay rate.

General Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview Details – I was first interviewed over the phone by a recruiter in the corporate office. She asked me about what I would do in certain situations like If you weren't making your goal mid day what would you do? Tell me about an obstacle you overcame and how you did it. How would you handle an angry customer...... Then I got a second interview with the District manager. They asked more specific questions about sales, managing, coaching.... Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 years. How do you acheive your goals.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. You just need to be prepared to speak to managing and retail. If you know the basics its easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given a salary offer by the DM and then sent one by email to comfirm.

Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in April 2010.

Interview Details – must go through usually 2-3 interviews; final will be with DM

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you made a risky decision and the outcome was not what you expected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – negotiation goes through 2 people; DM and recruiter

Montgomery, IL

Interviewed at Ulta Beauty

Interview Details – Being able to work all hours, hire and fire, travel to annual conference, schedules, mop the floor, manage a salon with out salon experience, motivate and train, report to DM each month, pass drug screen, manage shipments each week, follow OSHA rules, daily huddles, if you can do all that you are hired.

Interview Question – Are you willing to come in at 6 am on a Friday to meet the truck for delivery should one of your task crew not come in?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Offer was accepted.

General Manager

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview Details – Recruited, called by recruiter, interviewed with Dm, she was fired, so interviewed with VP, then had to interview with SenMgr, then Vp of operations.

Interview Question – This area is difficult to manage why would I want to manage here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – if you travel far enough ask for more compensation for travel, recruiters have enough ability to go up or down so ask for as much as you can...

Estero, FL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in April 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview, in-person interview with district manager, phone interview with regional vice president

Interview Question – How would your friends describe you   Answer Question

General Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview Details – It is about a 3-4 week process so be patient. Depending on position you will be interviewed by many people.

Interview Question – Standard interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were a little surprised by my asking for more pay. They did negotiate a slightly higher pay than originally offered.

Dublin, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2010.

Interview Details – Not professional and somewhat insulting.

Interview Question – Do you like being center of attention?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none

General Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in March 2013.

Interview Details – Spoke mostly about Client Service. ULTA wants to be more Client Service driven.
 I was little brother when she stated the company I currently work is a low volume when compared to ULTA. When I tired to explain to her that my company was international etc. She seem to not care..I wished she knew her research better of my company.

Interview Question – Just basic client service questions. Be prepared for ULTA to ask questions in regards to the salon.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Once again if she knew the volume I was coming from she would know to offer more money. I am third in charge at my current job and for me the take the highest position in a store at ULTA It would of been a pay cut.

General Manager

I applied online - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2012.

Interview Details – First interview consists of a phone interview with a recruiter who works for ulta. The second interview is with the DM, and th third interview is with the regional.

Interview Question – I wouldn't say difficult but an unexpected question was considering I have told what this job entails, do you feel you are capable of managing all this chaos?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very very vague. I asked about performance based bonuses but never received anything in writing. The base salary seems ok until you are in the trenches and realize that you will be working 50 plus hours per week. The bonuses we're nonsense and a joke ranging from $150-200 every quarter.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!