Ulta Beauty Interview Questions & Reviews

2.1

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sanford, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sanford, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in May 2012.

Applied online & got a phone call to come in for an interview just a couple days later. It was me and about 5 other girls for a group interview. This particular Ulta was just about to have a grand opening so it was nice that everyone was starting fair and did not know each other. Questions were pretty basic, like strengths/weaknesses. Also "how would you handle a customer that..." kind of questions. Really easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • No really hard questions, just basic interview questions. Only hard thing like in every group interview is coming up with your own individual answers and not having the same ones as others.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2014.

I applied online from Indeed and was directed to apply on the Ulta website. I was contacted my phone. It took a while to get the initial interview set because they would call me when I was working my current job and refused to utilize email. I had to go through an interview with the general manager and a few days later a manager at another store as a secondary. It took a week and a half to get the call offering the job after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would make a business decision without all of the pertinent information needed.   View Answer

The pay rate was only $16 an hour and that was after it was supposedly "bumped up" for my experience level. It turned out to be that I was going to be on the sales floor helping people with drug store cosmetics and other basic things, no real managing or business acumen needed at all. It was a position better geared for an 18 year old with Walgreens experience. I was not pleased!

Esthetician Interview

Not many questions asked, discussed hourly and commission right away. Was asked to come back for a practical within 10 minutes. Did practical review within a few days. The key to get hired is to up-sell waxing or other services and sell product at the end.

Beauty Consultant/Retail Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

So the interview was very basic and took about 15 minutes. They asked questions about how I would up sell a customer from drug store brands to prestige brands. Also they asked me how I would deal with an angry customer. It seemed as though the two managers giving my interview liked me and my prior retail experience. I was told at the end of the interview that I would hear back from them by the end of the week regardless of their decision. It has been over two weeks and still no call. Thankfully I received another job offer at another employer but it is highly unprofessional to leave interviewees hanging. I used to be an Ulta shopper but after the unprofessional-ism displayed by the managers I will not return to the location in which I applied for a job. I know that I deserved the job due to my prior experience and consistency in my employment history.

MSC Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

the people were judgmental. make sure you look your best. they were a little rude and unwelcoming. just look good. answer quickly too. they seemed to be annoyed if you took the time to think about your answer for too long.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

I was a frequent customer in my local ULTA, and I knew several of the employees there. An assistant manager mentioned to me that they were hiring, and that I should apply. I was told to submit an application online, which I did, and I received a call a few days later. A few days after that, I completed an in-store 1 on 1 interview, and was offered a position by the end of the interview. The whole process took about a week.

The interview itself was very easy and very laidback. I had previously interviewed at Finish Line, Olive Garden, Ryan's Buffet, Victoria's Secret, and Applebee's, and this interview was by far the easiest. It took around 15 minutes, much of which was discussing the job responsibilities, ULTA's background and goals, and friendly small talk. The GM who did the interview did comment that the interview was short because I was a regular customer and was familiar with the store and company, and that it's usually longer for people who seldom or never shop at ULTA.

The interview questions were very basic, things like "Tell me about yourself", "Why did you leave your last job", "Why do you want to work at ULTA", "What do you like to do in your spare time", "What is your favorite cosmetic brand", and "Tell me about a time when you had to provide service to an unhappy or angry customer". There were no difficult questions, they were all very straight-forward and simple.

It helps to wear black to the interview, because the employee dress code is all black (with some white allowed), and it will help you look like you belong at ULTA. Also, if you are female, make sure your makeup is done nicely. Throwing in background knowledge about popular brands that they carry helps as well, as it shows you're well informed about what they have to offer. I mentioned that Urban Decay was my favorite brand, and that I frequently use their Naked eye shadow palettes, and the GM and I got into a brief discussion during the interview about our favorite shades on the palettes. Helps get you brownie points if you really know your makeup and brands.

Overall, the interview was much shorter and easier than I expected, and I was offered $1.25 more per hour than what I had asked for.

Interview Questions
    I was asked how much I wanted hourly. I said $7.25/hour, minimum wage, since I had no prior retail experience, and at the end of the interview, the GM offered me $8.50/hour. Was then asked about availability and how many hours I wanted, I said I was available for any shift, and I requested around 20 hours/week.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2014.

Applied online and it took about three weeks for them to call back for an interview. The interview was a group interview with 5 girls including myself at a McCalister's next door. There were no surprising questions.

Interview Questions
    When the manager asks you if you have any questions at the end of the interview take this time to stand out and ask questions. In a group interview you want to stand out.

Prestige Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

After I applied online they called me within 2 weeks to come in for a interview, It was really easy , the manager who interviewed me was really friendly and made me feel comfortable . She told me she would call me 3 days later and she did offering me if I wanted to extend the job offer as prestige consultant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you went out of your way for a client   View Answer
    • Tell me how you would sell a product to a costumer   Answer Question
    • Basic interview questions like tell me about yourself and why do you want to work for them   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to negotiate , the manager asked me how much would I like to get paid and we stuck with that , I would tell other people to apply there , it's a great fresh start if you are wanting to work in the beauty industry

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chambersburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chambersburg, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2012.

they hire anybody that can breath , walk, and has 2 arms / and 2 legs , and 2 ears, and 2 eyeballs, they dont want smart people there , because they dont the upper level managment to be questioned

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hills, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2013.

Started with a phone interview from a company recruiter. Followed by an in-person interview. Both were really standard questions. They really put a lot of focus on the attitude or enthusiasm for the company/industry.

Interview Questions
    No real negotiation, really important to give a higher pay expectation. Really helped me get more since I was coming from a company that paid better.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!