Ulta Beauty Interview Questions

2.1

Salon Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Old Saybrook, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Old Saybrook, CT

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2014.

The initial interview was given by the National Salon Recruiter. She was very informative and helpful in regards to answering all the questions I had about the company. She was patient and a great listener on the phone. She responded quickly via email.

Beauty Advisor Interview

Called by GM to come in for group interview. 6 others attended. 8-10 questions dealing primarily with customer service experience. Had to be dressed fashionable and wearing makeup was a necessity. Was called within a week to know if I was to be hired.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to help a customer through a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Ulta Prestige Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2014.

I applied online. I received a call within a week and was able to schedule an interview for 2 days later. The interview was very easy and natural. The general manager was very polite, and professional. The questions were what I expected. Why do you want to work for Ulta? What would you bring to the Ulta team? Give an example of when you received outstanding customer service. Give an example where you demonstrated team work/ leadership. I wore black slacks, a black blouse, and a gold and teal statement necklace. I also wore a full face of make up, but kept it neutral and simple. The best advice I can give is be confident, honest, and enthusiastic. I received a call the same day with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • I found the most difficult questions was when the manager asked if I had any questions for her. I think it is important to plan on asking a question or two.   View Answer
    I wish I would have asked for a higher pay to give room for negotiation. Ulta is very reasonable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2014.

The ladies I interviewed with were both pleasant and easy to talk to.
    I had two interviews at the Tucson Oracle location. Both interviews ended so positively and I was exactly what they'd said they were looking for in an applicant. I've got 2 years in retail management experience, I have experience as a beauty advisor elsewhere, and I quickly become the go to gal for my work place. The second manager said she was looking to fill the void of someone that had gotten promoted within the company that was her right hand person.
    I doubt that for a part time beauty advisor they found anyone more so qualified than myself. I was told if I didn't hear from one over the week end, I'd be hearing from the other Monday. Monday evening I called, left a message for the store manager that I was still interested in the position and to call me back.
    It's almost the end of the week and no word. That's very unprofessional to lead someone on like that and make it sound like a deffinate thing, then not even have the decency to return a call to say you went with another applicant. If you say you're going to call someone, do it, even if it's not easy. It's the professional thing to do.

Interview Questions
    • The questions asked by both were standard and the interviews were more like easy flowing conversations because we were all on the same level professionally (only I call people when I say I will).   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sanford, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sanford, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in May 2012.

Applied online & got a phone call to come in for an interview just a couple days later. It was me and about 5 other girls for a group interview. This particular Ulta was just about to have a grand opening so it was nice that everyone was starting fair and did not know each other. Questions were pretty basic, like strengths/weaknesses. Also "how would you handle a customer that..." kind of questions. Really easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • No really hard questions, just basic interview questions. Only hard thing like in every group interview is coming up with your own individual answers and not having the same ones as others.   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2014.

I applied online from Indeed and was directed to apply on the Ulta website. I was contacted my phone. It took a while to get the initial interview set because they would call me when I was working my current job and refused to utilize email. I had to go through an interview with the general manager and a few days later a manager at another store as a secondary. It took a week and a half to get the call offering the job after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would make a business decision without all of the pertinent information needed.   View Answer

The pay rate was only $16 an hour and that was after it was supposedly "bumped up" for my experience level. It turned out to be that I was going to be on the sales floor helping people with drug store cosmetics and other basic things, no real managing or business acumen needed at all. It was a position better geared for an 18 year old with Walgreens experience. I was not pleased!

Esthetician Interview

Not many questions asked, discussed hourly and commission right away. Was asked to come back for a practical within 10 minutes. Did practical review within a few days. The key to get hired is to up-sell waxing or other services and sell product at the end.

Beauty Consultant/Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

So the interview was very basic and took about 15 minutes. They asked questions about how I would up sell a customer from drug store brands to prestige brands. Also they asked me how I would deal with an angry customer. It seemed as though the two managers giving my interview liked me and my prior retail experience. I was told at the end of the interview that I would hear back from them by the end of the week regardless of their decision. It has been over two weeks and still no call. Thankfully I received another job offer at another employer but it is highly unprofessional to leave interviewees hanging. I used to be an Ulta shopper but after the unprofessional-ism displayed by the managers I will not return to the location in which I applied for a job. I know that I deserved the job due to my prior experience and consistency in my employment history.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

I was a frequent customer in my local ULTA, and I knew several of the employees there. An assistant manager mentioned to me that they were hiring, and that I should apply. I was told to submit an application online, which I did, and I received a call a few days later. A few days after that, I completed an in-store 1 on 1 interview, and was offered a position by the end of the interview. The whole process took about a week.

The interview itself was very easy and very laidback. I had previously interviewed at Finish Line, Olive Garden, Ryan's Buffet, Victoria's Secret, and Applebee's, and this interview was by far the easiest. It took around 15 minutes, much of which was discussing the job responsibilities, ULTA's background and goals, and friendly small talk. The GM who did the interview did comment that the interview was short because I was a regular customer and was familiar with the store and company, and that it's usually longer for people who seldom or never shop at ULTA.

The interview questions were very basic, things like "Tell me about yourself", "Why did you leave your last job", "Why do you want to work at ULTA", "What do you like to do in your spare time", "What is your favorite cosmetic brand", and "Tell me about a time when you had to provide service to an unhappy or angry customer". There were no difficult questions, they were all very straight-forward and simple.

It helps to wear black to the interview, because the employee dress code is all black (with some white allowed), and it will help you look like you belong at ULTA. Also, if you are female, make sure your makeup is done nicely. Throwing in background knowledge about popular brands that they carry helps as well, as it shows you're well informed about what they have to offer. I mentioned that Urban Decay was my favorite brand, and that I frequently use their Naked eye shadow palettes, and the GM and I got into a brief discussion during the interview about our favorite shades on the palettes. Helps get you brownie points if you really know your makeup and brands.

Overall, the interview was much shorter and easier than I expected, and I was offered $1.25 more per hour than what I had asked for.

Interview Questions
    I was asked how much I wanted hourly. I said $7.25/hour, minimum wage, since I had no prior retail experience, and at the end of the interview, the GM offered me $8.50/hour. Was then asked about availability and how many hours I wanted, I said I was available for any shift, and I requested around 20 hours/week.

MSC Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

the people were judgmental. make sure you look your best. they were a little rude and unwelcoming. just look good. answer quickly too. they seemed to be annoyed if you took the time to think about your answer for too long.

Interview Questions

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!