Ulta Beauty Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

2.1

Beauty Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

The interview process was short, we went over my background. The Gm asked my career goals, what she was looking for in an employee, what the job involved. She asked if i had questions for her, so make sure you come prepared. Also research the company, look into the values of the company. This will help shape your answers to the questions to go along with company values

Beauty Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

I applied as a beauty consultant as I'm a freelance MUA but have minimal "formal" training and wasn't expecting to be thrown on a counter anywhere right off the bat. The Assistant manager called me back pretty quickly and I was in for an interview the next day. She was very easy to talk to, as were the rest of the staff, and offered me a position on the spot. Having a lot of retail experience already and also a decent amount as a makeup artist, I was asking two dollars above the starting pat rate, which she was totally willing to compromise on which was great. I can't say much about the position yet, but the interview process was very casual and comfortable, I ended up accepting this position over one at the Sephora color bar based on the fact that the environment was much more comfortable and less high pressure/pushy about sales, which I appreciate when it's an un commissioned position.

Interview Questions

• Why Ulta? Tell me about yourself/ your interest in beauty? What's your availability like/ what kind of hours are you seeking?   Answer Question

Negotiation

If you want more pay or more specific scheduling just ask. If you're straight forward about your requests they are much more accommodating and willing to negotiate.

Hair Designer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I filled out the application online and started calling locations within my area because I could not fill out more than one application for different areas. Everyone was hiring, but I was not receiving any call backs. 3 weeks later after finally receiving word that my reciprocity (basically my cosmetology license) was switched to GA from TX. I called one location on a Thursday and asked to speak with the salon manager about a hairstylist position and I got a call back in a couple hours and had a mini interview over the phone and was asked to come in for a sit down the following Monday to talk about the basics of their expectations and see if I would still be interested in moving forward with a technical interview (a color,cut, and highlight timed for two hours). My application was lost in the system so the manager had to contact HR which to me felt like forever!! I agreed to move forward even though she still did not have my application and came in the following Monday with my own model and showed my skills. The salon manager was pleased with my skills coming straight out of school but told me that we could not move forward without my application, to wait for a call back on Wednesday. She did not call, so I called on Thursday and she had my application finally. I was then offered the position with a 90 day probationary period to see if I have made any progression and fit as a stylist. Just waiting on a background check (I was told takes about 2-3 days) to start working by next week.The process was long to finally get a call back for an interview, but once started, it took my interview process about two weeks.

Interview Questions

• If you are doing a color and there is a hint of red in the clients hair, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • What do you feel is your biggest challenge as a stylist??   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. You start off at a base hourly pay. If your commission is higher than your hourly pay, you get commission.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

Conversation with recruiter over the phone to set up initial interview. Had first interview with the recruiter and then had a secondary over the phone interview with the district manager. Then had a third interview with a different district manager. Then had a face to face interview with the district manager. Then a couple of days later the recruiter called with a job offer.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Smyrna, GA).

Interview

The interview was very straight forward and easy. I dressed the part (as if I am already employed there). The dress code is black and white, by the way. The hiring manager asked about my interests, previous retail sales, why I wanted to work at Ulta, and what position I am interested in the company. Afterwards, the manager walked me around the layout of the store, which I was already familiar with. It helped that I shopped at the store frequently to begin with. Know the products the store sells.

Prestige Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

I applied originally for the B.A position, this was 2 months ago, I forgot I applied (lol) and the GM called me yesterday asking to interview today at noon or one. I wore all black (except my leggings had white bow & arrows on them) and some trendy jewelry and did my makeup like I do everyday which is always done up and my hair. The GM offered me a position as Clinique Brand Rep, which I didn't want to do, so I steered more toward the B.A position she also offered. She told me my makeup was amazing, and liked that I had a lot of previous retail experience (if you have any, MENTION IT) I had been a previous Walgreens b.a which surprisingly has a LOT of similarities. Make sure you do your hair and makeup 100 percent, obviously, and be happy & cheerful. Act how you do at work though, don't oversell yourself and say things you won't/can't do. After the interview, she told me she was super interested and would call me by the end of next week to tell me what she needed from me (?) and if she didn't call to call for sure. I'm assuming this means I got the job..but who knows! Also she didn't ask ANY of the questions I read on here? Most were just about my availability ect.

Interview Questions

• What was the position as B.A at Walgreens?   1 Answer
    • How have you dealt with a bad employee as Head B.A at Walgs.?   Answer Question

IT Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolingbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Bolingbrook, IL).

Interview

The interview process is too too slow..they keep you waiting and waiting and then hire consultants or internal hire..too slow and even though the interview goes well..lots of internal politocs.

Hair Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Clearwater, FL).

Interview

They have you apply online, and they call you within a few days to come in for an interview, after your initial interview they have you come in again and do a technical interview. They provide your model for the technical and you have to color, cut, and style her. And they call you in a couple days to let you know if you've gotten the job.

Interview Questions

• They ask about your available schedule, questions about your previous work experience, and why you chose to apply at ulta.   Answer Question

Hair Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Short Pump, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Short Pump, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the General Manager and was offered the job right after the interview pending a technical interview where I would bring a model. I accepted (only because I needed a job) and then left for another interview at a different salon. Thankfully I got that job as well and accepted. I did not want to work for Ulta because the general manager was rude and made me feel stupid during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How long have you done hair? What color lines have you used? What I am most comfortable doing?   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Big Flats, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Big Flats, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Process took a week. Applied online, received a call the next day and scheduled an interview for the next week. I interviewed on a tuesday and was offered the job the next day. Very easy and relaxed.