Ulta Beauty

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

2.1

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Very snooth, I wasn't asked very many questions. I think because the other girl that was veing intercuewed with me had just graduated high schook, didn't ecen have any make up knowledge, and wasn't even interested in going to schook for anything to do with beauty so she was asked nire questions. I just graduated college with a Master Cosmetology diploma and they seemed very excited about that, they also said they coyld vump me up to Esthetician or Stylist as soon as I take state board. I have my second interciew with the GM tomorrow so we will see!

Prestige Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Applied online. Called the following day to set up interview. Offered competitive pay, however i counter offered because it was explained that hours were not guaranteed. They were eager to make an offer to me and wanted an answer very promptly.

Interview Questions
    • What is your availability?   View Answer
    • Have you ever worked in a sales or retail position?   View Answer

General Manager Interview

I have only had an initial phone interview with the recruiter and I'm waiting to here from the local district manager. I had to complete an online survey including a personality/assessment test and giving permission for a complete background check.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in February 2015.

I applied in early December and didn't hear back at all. I called about two weeks ago asking if they were hiring and the women told me they'd be doing a hiring soon. I recently got a call thrusday night asking me to come in for a interview. I came in ten minutes early wearing all black. My interview was in the back office quick and simple. A lot of people have said they had group interviews but mine was just one on one. She asked personality questions and retail experience questions. She said they were looking to cross train people and asked if I was comfortable putting makeup on people. She said they were eager to hire and that id hear from them in the next few days. Hopefully I do!

Prestige Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR
    Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in February 2015.

Applied for Prestige Manager position on a Friday and I called the store on Sunday to speak with the manager. He told me he would call me within the next day or two to set up an interview. I was not local so when he called, he set up my interview with my local Ulta store manager. She reached out to me and we set something up for 2 days later. When I arrived, there was a short wait because the store was busy. We met in her office and she turned off her phone and walkie to give me her full attention. I brought a copy of my resume and she started by asking me to tell her a little about myself and why I wanted to work for Ulta. We then moved to some tough situation questions. Then she told me about Ulta and about the position I was applying for. She was very nice and professional. She told me a little about her store but since I wasn't actually applying for that store, we didn't spend a lot of time on that. At the end of the interview, I asked for feedback which she seemed like she was more than happy to give. She said that I answered the questions well and that my comfort and conversation style was on point, but that I should practice on answering the questions with a bit more detail. I need to speak more towards my leadership roles since it was a management position. She told me that she was going to pass me onto the next interview and forward the results of the interview onto the store manager where I was applying. The next step would be to interview with the District Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to motivate a team of people.
      What was a time where you achieved a goal that you are proud of?
      Describe a time where you had to work as a team and pull through a tough situation.
      Describe a time where you had to deal with an upset customer, how you resolved it, and what the outcome was.

Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Applied for position and got a call literally within minutes. Had an interview the next day. Pretty pleasant experience. Was hired within a week and started within two. I was never told that I was being hired for Operations until I started training. Also wasnt told that I would have to be available at 5/6 AM for Truck, Ad, or Planograms. Which I later found out wasnt even in my job description. I was actually doing the job of two people. Also found out (after being hired) I was offered almost $4.00 less than the person I was replacing.

No negotiations

General Manager Retail Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

I received an email one morning and that afternoon had a phone interview. After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for an interview with the DM the next day.
    I came in for the interview and a manager from another store greeted me and did my interview because the DM was on a conference call. I was disappointed that I could not be interviewed by the DM.
    Typical interview questions. Nothing seemed prepared though. Was just kind of questions off the top of their head.

Ulta Beauty Response

Jan 28, 2015Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback on your interview experience! We appreciate your candor and take your feedback seriously to improve our interview process. We wish you success in your career and thank ... More

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

they were opening a new store in my area, i applied online and received a call the next day. the manager told me to come in for an interview in three days, i wore a dress and heels, something cute and formal, i also wore makeup and big hair, (my usual) i didnt bother pinning my hair up because ulta loves people with vibrant personalities, the interview process was easy, or maybe because it was a new store and they needed lots of people, but it was a few questions about my past work experiences and skills regarding to selling and talking about makeup, im a "people's person" and was doing lots of freelance makeup at the time so i kinda figured i had landed the job, basically be yourself, unless yourself is shy and boring then be happy and open, relax, have knowledge about some products, tell them you use the products even if you dont, you will eventually use them because we always got freebies, and you're great with people*** and selling*** i dont work there anymore because im in college now which is out of state, i didnt bother transferring because i want to focus on school with the help my parents haha GOOD LUCK ( : also i was paid $9 people in prestige were paid $11-13 or higher, i would deff apply there.

Interview Questions
    • she asked me about NYX makeup which i use all the time but didn't know it was under the same company as MAC ...   Answer Question

Arch Expert Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in January 2015.

I applied online and was contacted by the manager about 10 days later to set up an interview. They brought me to the back staff room and asked me some questions about my past experience and how I've handled certain situations in the past. They were very nice, two managers interviewed me at once. They said they would contact me in 3 or 4 days with their decision. I haven't heard from them yet, it's only been one day. I would accept if I did.

Interview Questions
    • How important is flexibility while working in a fast-paced environment? Give an example of a time you needed to make a good first impression and how you did so. Give an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a client and the outcome. Do you prefer to work as a team or an individual?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

It took about two weeks, however the District Manager did not contact me the recruiter did. Was contacted by recruiter, who gave me a phone interview. Then was contacted by DM, she interviewed me in person, however did not contact me after.