Ulta Beauty

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.1

Arch Expert Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in January 2015.

I applied online and was contacted by the manager about 10 days later to set up an interview. They brought me to the back staff room and asked me some questions about my past experience and how I've handled certain situations in the past. They were very nice, two managers interviewed me at once. They said they would contact me in 3 or 4 days with their decision. I haven't heard from them yet, it's only been one day. I would accept if I did.

Interview Questions
    • How important is flexibility while working in a fast-paced environment? Give an example of a time you needed to make a good first impression and how you did so. Give an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a client and the outcome. Do you prefer to work as a team or an individual?   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

It took about two weeks, however the District Manager did not contact me the recruiter did. Was contacted by recruiter, who gave me a phone interview. Then was contacted by DM, she interviewed me in person, however did not contact me after.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

they were opening a new store in my area, i applied online and received a call the next day. the manager told me to come in for an interview in three days, i wore a dress and heels, something cute and formal, i also wore makeup and big hair, (my usual) i didnt bother pinning my hair up because ulta loves people with vibrant personalities, the interview process was easy, or maybe because it was a new store and they needed lots of people, but it was a few questions about my past work experiences and skills regarding to selling and talking about makeup, im a "people's person" and was doing lots of freelance makeup at the time so i kinda figured i had landed the job, basically be yourself, unless yourself is shy and boring then be happy and open, relax, have knowledge about some products, tell them you use the products even if you dont, you will eventually use them because we always got freebies, and you're great with people*** and selling*** i dont work there anymore because im in college now which is out of state, i didnt bother transferring because i want to focus on school with the help my parents haha GOOD LUCK ( : also i was paid $9 people in prestige were paid $11-13 or higher, i would deff apply there.

Interview Questions
    • she asked me about NYX makeup which i use all the time but didn't know it was under the same company as MAC ...   Answer Question

Salon Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in January 2015.

Applied on line and then received and e mail four days later. I responded and then was asked to come in for an interview. I was not told I would be interviewing with three people at once. I was asked to bring in a model and then was told the DM would call the next day...they never did. Monday we spoke and then took another test of three and had 2 phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was just customer service oriented and please know something about Ulta.   View Answer
    no negotiation

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Our store was brand new so they were looking for everything. I sat with a manager and we talked about cosmetics and my prior retail jobs. Asked about my knowledge of brands and if I knew anything about cosmetics.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer was upset that we were out of one of her favorite brands?   Answer Question

Prestige Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in December 2014.

I applied online. Took my resume in a few days later and was contacted by a hiring manager that evening. We set up an interview for later on in the week. It was pretty relaxed, we sat down and talked for about an hour about my qualifications and how my work experience can translate over to Ulta. She asked some generic interview questions- "Tell me about a time...", but overall it was more like a conversation about what I can bring to the company as well as the job expectations. I had a phone interview with the DM a few days later, and at the end of the week I got a job offer. I went in asking a little higher than I expected- so they came back with an offer which was reasonable.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to go out of your way to impress a customer with the service you provided.   Answer Question
    I asked for a little higher than I expected to be paid, they came back with a very reasonable offer, plus great benefits.

Hair Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Filled out an Application online and was called the next day to set up an interview. Was told to bring in a model to do a cut and partial highlight during my interview, I brought in my mom, Did my work as the lady kind of watched me. After she and the manager of the store asked me how comfortable i would be going out to the salon to push products on people who were simply shopping in the store and if I was okay going up to them and trying to talk them into coming back into the salon to get something done. They didn't care how well my services were they just wanted people in the door!

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

I applied online and received an email invitation to interview in person with the GM. I requested an initial phone interview to learn more about the role and assess whether I would be a suitable fit however the GM declined and said she needs to see me in person. I arrived 15 minutes early to the interview, however the GM was 25 minutes late. The interview was conducted in a public space near the store because there was no allocated location. The meeting lasted approximately 40 minutes. The questions were easy but redundant because she read off a paper so it was not conversational or flowing. I am unsure whether she even understood the questions she asked because it was extremely repetitive. I also found that the job description discussed during the interview did not match the one on their careers website and the questions asked did not align with my background. It was highly unprofessional and I was disappointed with the overall experience- not worth my time.

Overqualified

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Filled out the app online and got a call 4 days later, then had an interview the following week.
    The woman was really nice and super easy to talk to. She interviewed me and another girl at the same time. It only lasted about 15/20 minutes. She called me the very next day to offer me the position!

*Do your makeup nice and wear all back to the interview. It is their dress code and it shows you are dedicated to getting the position.

Interview Questions
    • -Why do you want to work for Ulta?
      -Explain a time you received good feedback from a manager/supervisor?
      -How do you handle stressful or busy situations?
      -What's the best advice a supervisor has given you?

Answer Question

Task/Temporary Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

I applied online for a new store opening close to home. I was called by the manager the next day and scheduled an interview. The interview was held at a different ulta store because the one I applied to hadn't opened yet