Ulta Beauty Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.1

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

I was a frequent customer in my local ULTA, and I knew several of the employees there. An assistant manager mentioned to me that they were hiring, and that I should apply. I was told to submit an application online, which I did, and I received a call a few days later. A few days after that, I completed an in-store 1 on 1 interview, and was offered a position by the end of the interview. The whole process took about a week.

The interview itself was very easy and very laidback. I had previously interviewed at Finish Line, Olive Garden, Ryan's Buffet, Victoria's Secret, and Applebee's, and this interview was by far the easiest. It took around 15 minutes, much of which was discussing the job responsibilities, ULTA's background and goals, and friendly small talk. The GM who did the interview did comment that the interview was short because I was a regular customer and was familiar with the store and company, and that it's usually longer for people who seldom or never shop at ULTA.

The interview questions were very basic, things like "Tell me about yourself", "Why did you leave your last job", "Why do you want to work at ULTA", "What do you like to do in your spare time", "What is your favorite cosmetic brand", and "Tell me about a time when you had to provide service to an unhappy or angry customer". There were no difficult questions, they were all very straight-forward and simple.

It helps to wear black to the interview, because the employee dress code is all black (with some white allowed), and it will help you look like you belong at ULTA. Also, if you are female, make sure your makeup is done nicely. Throwing in background knowledge about popular brands that they carry helps as well, as it shows you're well informed about what they have to offer. I mentioned that Urban Decay was my favorite brand, and that I frequently use their Naked eye shadow palettes, and the GM and I got into a brief discussion during the interview about our favorite shades on the palettes. Helps get you brownie points if you really know your makeup and brands.

Overall, the interview was much shorter and easier than I expected, and I was offered $1.25 more per hour than what I had asked for.

Interview Questions
    I was asked how much I wanted hourly. I said $7.25/hour, minimum wage, since I had no prior retail experience, and at the end of the interview, the GM offered me $8.50/hour. Was then asked about availability and how many hours I wanted, I said I was available for any shift, and I requested around 20 hours/week.

MSC Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

the people were judgmental. make sure you look your best. they were a little rude and unwelcoming. just look good. answer quickly too. they seemed to be annoyed if you took the time to think about your answer for too long.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2014.

Applied online and it took about three weeks for them to call back for an interview. The interview was a group interview with 5 girls including myself at a McCalister's next door. There were no surprising questions.

Interview Questions
    When the manager asks you if you have any questions at the end of the interview take this time to stand out and ask questions. In a group interview you want to stand out.

Prestige Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

After I applied online they called me within 2 weeks to come in for a interview, It was really easy , the manager who interviewed me was really friendly and made me feel comfortable . She told me she would call me 3 days later and she did offering me if I wanted to extend the job offer as prestige consultant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you went out of your way for a client   View Answer
    • Tell me how you would sell a product to a costumer   Answer Question
    • Basic interview questions like tell me about yourself and why do you want to work for them   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to negotiate , the manager asked me how much would I like to get paid and we stuck with that , I would tell other people to apply there , it's a great fresh start if you are wanting to work in the beauty industry

Material Handler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chambersburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chambersburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2012.

they hire anybody that can breath , walk, and has 2 arms / and 2 legs , and 2 ears, and 2 eyeballs, they dont want smart people there , because they dont the upper level managment to be questioned

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Hills, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hills, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2013.

Started with a phone interview from a company recruiter. Followed by an in-person interview. Both were really standard questions. They really put a lot of focus on the attitude or enthusiasm for the company/industry.

Interview Questions
    No real negotiation, really important to give a higher pay expectation. Really helped me get more since I was coming from a company that paid better.

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

interviewed with 2 store managers and the DM, the DM at the time was excellent and I interviewed with an interim GM. I don't have anything else to say but they're making me type more

Phone call with salary and email of an offer eltter

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Peoria, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Initially applied online and was contacted about a month later by a recruiter. Was in the process of moving to the area where the job was, so that wasn't a problem. Waited and was contacted by the DM 3 days after I reached the location to come in for an interview. Fairly standard interview.

applied for a co-manager position and was offered an associate manager position that was barely full time making a lot less after I was told the position I had applied for was already filled by a transfer from another location.

Beauty Consultant/Retail Sales Associate Interview

interview with a few managers showed me the product layout, discussed holy rate and sch expectations had a hire orientation. and began the following week. Showed me the employee break room, meet existing employees and salon staff.

Interview Questions
    Was going to school so needed a flexible sch

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in May 2012.

I applied online and got a call later that same afternoon. An interview was scheduled for the next day. I came to the interview and sat down in the middle of the skin care section in a chair facing another chair with the interim store manager. She asked me a little bit about my past experience with customer service and what I was doing other than work.

No negotiation.