Ulta Beauty Interview Questions

2.1

Esthetician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coon Rapids, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coon Rapids, MN

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

I was asked to come in to do my first interview after sending in my resume. The salon manager who was doing the interview never showed up for the time we scheduled, she was out of town and didn't bother to inform me. That should have been a sign, but I rescheduled another interview with her for the following week. Interview was fine, typical questions. I was asked to do a second interview where she could "see me in action." I was told to show up and work the sales floor and assist customers for 3-4 hours (unpaid). I should state that I have worked for Ulta before as a sales associate. So I came in to do my time on the floor, and I ended up being the only helpful person around. All of the actual sales employees were standing around talking to each other. Then, I had to stick around and help with a special Dermalogica prom event they had going on (helping teens pick out skincare before the big day). I never received a call back after this day.

Beauty Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

I was a frequent customer in my local ULTA, and I knew several of the employees there. An assistant manager mentioned to me that they were hiring, and that I should apply. I was told to submit an application online, which I did, and I received a call a few days later. A few days after that, I completed an in-store 1 on 1 interview, and was offered a position by the end of the interview. The whole process took about a week.

The interview itself was very easy and very laidback. I had previously interviewed at Finish Line, Olive Garden, Ryan's Buffet, Victoria's Secret, and Applebee's, and this interview was by far the easiest. It took around 15 minutes, much of which was discussing the job responsibilities, ULTA's background and goals, and friendly small talk. The GM who did the interview did comment that the interview was short because I was a regular customer and was familiar with the store and company, and that it's usually longer for people who seldom or never shop at ULTA.

The interview questions were very basic, things like "Tell me about yourself", "Why did you leave your last job", "Why do you want to work at ULTA", "What do you like to do in your spare time", "What is your favorite cosmetic brand", and "Tell me about a time when you had to provide service to an unhappy or angry customer". There were no difficult questions, they were all very straight-forward and simple.

It helps to wear black to the interview, because the employee dress code is all black (with some white allowed), and it will help you look like you belong at ULTA. Also, if you are female, make sure your makeup is done nicely. Throwing in background knowledge about popular brands that they carry helps as well, as it shows you're well informed about what they have to offer. I mentioned that Urban Decay was my favorite brand, and that I frequently use their Naked eye shadow palettes, and the GM and I got into a brief discussion during the interview about our favorite shades on the palettes. Helps get you brownie points if you really know your makeup and brands.

Overall, the interview was much shorter and easier than I expected, and I was offered $1.25 more per hour than what I had asked for.

Interview Questions
    I was asked how much I wanted hourly. I said $7.25/hour, minimum wage, since I had no prior retail experience, and at the end of the interview, the GM offered me $8.50/hour. Was then asked about availability and how many hours I wanted, I said I was available for any shift, and I requested around 20 hours/week.

Beauty Consultant/Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

The online application was very long. It took almost an hour. Most of the questions were very general and basic regarding personality and work environment preferences. The application did ask for detailed information regarding previous employment and education so have that information handy! Dates, wages, location, phone number, contact name, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how to handle a difficult customer regarding a return.   Answer Question

Task Associate Interview

Noticed they were building an Ulta near me so I applied online. A month passed, they were still building so I applied again. A few days after I got a call from the hiring manager informing me that I won't be starting at the position I applied for (beauty consultant) but instead stocking, ordering, etc. I accepted the offer because she also said there are two permanent positions that will be given after evaluating myself & others. There were no interview questions, but a background check was conducted. I now have a schedule in my email :)

Beauty Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Applied for management position, interviewed for beauty consultant aka "cashier." Had one in-person interview with the store's GM (new store, had not opened yet). Received a call within a few days with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • No hard questions, they are making sure that you are capable of customer service and have an interest in what they sell-cosmetics.   Answer Question
    Since I applied for a management position, I asked for $12/hr on the application, but offer was for $8/hr as the cashier.

Prestige Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

After I applied online they called me within 2 weeks to come in for a interview, It was really easy , the manager who interviewed me was really friendly and made me feel comfortable . She told me she would call me 3 days later and she did offering me if I wanted to extend the job offer as prestige consultant.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you went out of your way for a client   View Answer
    • Tell me how you would sell a product to a costumer   Answer Question
    • Basic interview questions like tell me about yourself and why do you want to work for them   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to negotiate , the manager asked me how much would I like to get paid and we stuck with that , I would tell other people to apply there , it's a great fresh start if you are wanting to work in the beauty industry

Beauty Consultant/Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

So the interview was very basic and took about 15 minutes. They asked questions about how I would up sell a customer from drug store brands to prestige brands. Also they asked me how I would deal with an angry customer. It seemed as though the two managers giving my interview liked me and my prior retail experience. I was told at the end of the interview that I would hear back from them by the end of the week regardless of their decision. It has been over two weeks and still no call. Thankfully I received another job offer at another employer but it is highly unprofessional to leave interviewees hanging. I used to be an Ulta shopper but after the unprofessional-ism displayed by the managers I will not return to the location in which I applied for a job. I know that I deserved the job due to my prior experience and consistency in my employment history.

Ulta Prestige Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Ulta Beauty in July 2014.

Applied online for new store opening in my area. Got a call a few weeks later for an interview the next day (Tuesday). Met with two ladies from another ulta in my area who interviewed me. They told me they would let me know by end of week. On Friday a got the call offering me the job ��

Merchandise & Service Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

The interview process was pretty involved. I had 2 in-person interviews and 1 phone interview. Everyone was very nice and the questions were basic. Come prepared to ask your own questions. Also, dress the part as if you already have the job.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolingbrook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolingbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2014.

Applied online and was contacted by internal recruiter within a week. Interview was set up immediately (week later). Went to office in Bolingbrook and met with Hiring Manager, team and another Team. A week later, they called with an offer. The offer was pretty competitive. Then the usual drug screen and background.

Interview Questions
    • None. Discussed background, certain projects they were working on and so forth. It was more of a conversational interview than strictly behavioral.   Answer Question
    I got my offer one morning and reviewed that and the benefits for a day and countered the next morning. We met in the middle and all was good. Took less than 24 hours.