Ulta Beauty Prestige Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015
Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.2

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty (Rogers, AR) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for Prestige Manager position on a Friday and I called the store on Sunday to speak with the manager. He told me he would call me within the next day or two to set up an interview. I was not local so when he called, he set up my interview with my local Ulta store manager. She reached out to me and we set something up for 2 days later. When I arrived, there was a short wait because the store was busy. We met in her office and she turned off her phone and walkie to give me her full attention. I brought a copy of my resume and she started by asking me to tell her a little about myself and why I wanted to work for Ulta. We then moved to some tough situation questions. Then she told me about Ulta and about the position I was applying for. She was very nice and professional. She told me a little about her store but since I wasn't actually applying for that store, we didn't spend a lot of time on that. At the end of the interview, I asked for feedback which she seemed like she was more than happy to give. She said that I answered the questions well and that my comfort and conversation style was on point, but that I should practice on answering the questions with a bit more detail. I need to speak more towards my leadership roles since it was a management position. She told me that she was going to pass me onto the next interview and forward the results of the interview onto the store manager where I was applying. The next step would be to interview with the District Manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to motivate a team of people.
    What was a time where you achieved a goal that you are proud of?
    Describe a time where you had to work as a team and pull through a tough situation.
    Describe a time where you had to deal with an upset customer, how you resolved it, and what the outcome was.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ulta Beauty

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in February 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted and interviewed with the store manager and then followed up with the DM about a week later. It was a pretty basic retail management interview, just a serious of "Tell me about a time when" style of questions. If you are reasonably good a customer service and coaching you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• The only question that kind of threw me for a loop was "Tell me about a time you showed integrity" I think most people who have integrity just practice it daily, so, it was hard to come up with some specific example,, it's not like I've been in an Erin Brokovich situation before.   Answer Question

I had initially accepted even though I was extremely disappointed with the salary I was offered. I felt that they really tried to low ball me which was a) insulting as I have substantial experience and b) made me think that the company is cheap and that they don't value their talent. I should have countered offered, but, honestly I was so shocked at how low of a salary they were offering that I just said thank you and hung up. I figured that any job was better than no job...that is until I got the benefits packet. The vacation policy was a deal breaker for me. Your first year of employment you only accrue 40 hours of vacation, that is insane! Just about every other retailer i have worked for gives you about 3 weeks of PTO the first year.

Just a few weeks later I got an offer from another retail for much more money and this company has a much better time off policy, so, I made the right decision

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Took my resume in a few days later and was contacted by a hiring manager that evening. We set up an interview for later on in the week. It was pretty relaxed, we sat down and talked for about an hour about my qualifications and how my work experience can translate over to Ulta. She asked some generic interview questions- "Tell me about a time...", but overall it was more like a conversation about what I can bring to the company as well as the job expectations. I had a phone interview with the DM a few days later, and at the end of the week I got a job offer. I went in asking a little higher than I expected- so they came back with an offer which was reasonable.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to go out of your way to impress a customer with the service you provided.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for a little higher than I expected to be paid, they came back with a very reasonable offer, plus great benefits.

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty (Orange, CA).

Interview

Applied online, got a call within a few days. Met GM at Starbucks for interview. Got a call I was hired within a couple days.

Interview Questions

• Mostly I was told about the position. Not many questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ulta was very fair and went with my requests

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews and one face to face interview.

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ulta Beauty (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Applied online and called in for an interview. Interview was 15 min long, basic questions on my experience. Made me an offer 2 days later. I counter offered and I suggest to anyone to do so when working for this company as you will wear many hats on a day to day basis.

Negotiation

Yes, I counter offered and they agreed.

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

I interviewed with the store manager and hit it off with her quickly. She made it clear she would be moving me onto the district manager right away. I bypassed an interview with another store manager and moved onto the district manager. We met early and she initially went to the wrong location and was quite late. I thought I was being stood up. I know a lot of people test you to see how you react to the situation but this wasn't like that. The interview was awkward which I blame more on her lack of personality but I felt like I answered all questions well and felt confidant in my interview. It took a month before the general manager was able to reach her for a decision and I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Basic interview questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They made an offer and I accepted. I should have negotiated for higher.

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Ulta Beauty (Vestal, NY).

Interview

Received a phone call, met in a restaurant, GM conducted interview, she was inexperienced, standard questions. Told I would get a phone interview with RM and he didn't call. Told next day that I was hired. They wanted me to quit without 2wks notice. I said no. Should have realized that this company was a lousy one.

Interview Questions

• No technical questions, no tests, nothing.
      They do not appreciate their applicants time, efforts. Very unprofessional

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation they offered 14.75 when I had asked $16.00 they are cheap and you will get a raise once a year and it will be less than .25 cents.

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Ulta Beauty (Savannah, GA) in September 2012.

Interview

I applied in store and was directed to apply online.
    Heads up, the assessment questions you answer while applying online have everything to do with whether or not you are called back. Those results either green light, yellow light, or red light your application.
    The interview was basic and the questions asked were generic. They focus mostly on your history, ability to adapt, and sales comfortability.
    It was held in their very small, very unorganized office. My initial interview was held with both the general and district manager so there was no need for a second.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The company is fairly flexible in negotiations. The cap they will pay most managers is 22/hr. So don't feel afraid to ask what you're worth.

Prestige Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Ulta Beauty (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

I was contacted via phone for an in-person interview a week after I submitted my application on ULTA.com I met with 2 General Managers who were truly passionate about the company and were a pleasure speaking with. They both gave me a thorough description of the position (duties, typical work day, etc.) and asked questions primarily on customer service, product/company knowledge and sales. I also asked 10 questions of my own about the position, company culture and when to expect a decision (end of the week).

Within 24 hours of the interview, I emailed a thank you letter and followed up on a Friday and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• If given a budget, how would you divide it to increase sales?   2 Answers

Negotiation

No negotiation. Obtained salary desired.