Ulta Beauty

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marlboro, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and heard back within a couple days or so, received a phone call (which I missed), then had an interview at the store. The store was busy so we had the interview next door at the Whole Foods cafe. Typical interview, no pressure. Got the job, however the job was very temporary (only for a week). I wore business casual.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself, what was your past experience, what is your availability, why did you choose ulta   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, minimum wage. Was willing to work with my schedule.

Huntington Beach, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview Details – Very professional, were able to work with my schedule.

Interview Question – "Are you able to get here by 6 am?"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was too far for me to get there by 6 am every morning.

Task Team

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview Details – Met at a café for a one on one interview since the store is not yet open. Very relaxed atmosphere. The hiring manager didn't ask me a lot of questions so I did have to kind of keep the conversation going and fill in the things I wanted her to know about why I would be good for the position and how I would benefit them as a team member.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Everyone started off the same and only part time is available.

Owensboro, KY

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interview set-up was via email. The actual interview took place at a fast food restaurant and was very informal and disorganized. The GM conducted it (if that's what you can call it) and she actually asked me what type of questions she should ask me! After the interview, the job offer, start date, and specifics were sent to me via email.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult at all about it. Unexpected? The whole situation was unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I just got an email offer with details about dress code, pay, and a start date.

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in September 2011.

Interview Details – It was a group interview. There were supposed to be 4 other girls but me and one other girl were the only ones that showed up. The merchandising manager interveiws us and asked us the most basic questions. We took a tour of the store and were told we were hired on the spot.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It took a month to get my first day due to paperwork being changed to electronic and corporate being late sending it in.

Virginia Beach, VA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2011.

Interview Details – The application is online and consists of a personality test. Then they called me for a group interview which only consisted of 1 other girl because the rest never showed up. We were asked questions like "Define customer service" "How do you handle difficult customers" "name a time you went out of your way to help someone". Then you get a tour of the store and where everything is. Me and the girl were both hired on the spot. However it took a month to actually start because we had to wait for the Store Manager to call us for our orientation date and the home office took forever to send in the nessecary documents. She actually had to set our orientation date back by 1 day because she didn't get our information in.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate anything

Woodbury, MN

The process took a day - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in November 2011.

Interview Details – It was a group interview. I was nervous at first but it's kind of nice having others there so the attention is not on you all the time. I would recommend trying to speak first so you don't repeat others answers. We did a little bit of role playing and it wasn't too bad. Also the manager was super nice! It didn't take them too long to get back to me and offer me the job. It took a week at the most!

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Arrive early and bring extra resumes and a note book. Also ask questions! They like that.

Task Team

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ulta Beauty in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call from the general manager maybe a week later. After setting the date, I ran onto glassdoors for some tips. ;P I dressed business casual, black and white, and with daytime makeup. I met with the GM and she asked me some really basic questions like why do you want to work here, and what's your relevant experience (of which I had little). Probably the question that tripped me up the most was when she asked how long I wanted to work for them, lol. I was all over the place with that no-brainer. She was nice about it, cut me some slack with my nervousness and generally seemed like her mind was on more important things.

She then told me she wanted her stock/truck manager to talk to me but she was busy so I had to reschedule for a second interview the next week. The stock manager was nice and also laid back, asked basic questions about how my schedule fit and my transportation and stuff. I basically knew I was hired by then because I applied for a grunt position with undesirable hours, but then she tacked on some "interview" questions at the end just to be official (Why do you want to work here, Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a team member and how'd you handle it, What's your favorite kind of makeup and why, etc). Afterwards, she discussed it with the GM and I was hired on the spot. It was a very laid back experience. Nerve-wracking for someone as shy and lame-resumee'd as me, but for the rest of y'all normal people, it's probably a walk in the park.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ulta Beauty

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty Task Team interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees and interview candidates.