Ultimate Software

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Security Manager Interview

IT Security Manager
Weston, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2008.

Interview Details – The company's recruiter contacted me and ensured my credentials and background were the right fit based on the hiring manager's requirements (CIO Caroline Reyes).
On the day of my interview, I arrived on-time only to discover that the hiring manager was at an office lunch party and running late. Deciding to wait, I sat with one of the people that my position was supposed to manage, and he attempted to stall for 45 minutes while we awaited the CIO's arrival. Upon her arrival, no apologies or thankyou for waiting, and she proceeded to ask appropriate interview questions for 5 minutes, before having to "run out for a moment", but "so and so, will keep going until I get back". After a few moments, her substitute hadn't any idea of what to ask, or what to talk about, so he pulls another manager into the room to keep the momentum. Eventually, I was being interviewed by the very people I was supposed to manage, as the CIO returned to the room and loudly continued a conversation with her co-worker, 10 feet away in the corridor. In all, the entire interview touched on 5% of what the actual job description and duties entailed, and removed any chances to demonstrate or describe my qualifications for the role.
One might suspect that this could be a psychological interview tactic and if it were, it was poorly executed. The bottom line is that my interview with this company was a farce. Surely I followed up with a cordial thankyou letter, hoping for the best, or a second interview based on the hint of one or more of the interviewers being slightly intoxicated. The call never came, and it was perhaps for the best, judging by the way they treat potential employees.

Up to that point, of the many interviews I've been on, my interviewers were attired appropriately and behaved as professionals.

Some of many lessons learned while interviewing with Ultimate:
Never interview on a Friday or any day before a holiday, as most places it's a casual-day and you're the only one formally attired - it makes you seem as if you don't belong and can cause you to appear intimidating to your interviewer if you are more professionally attired than he or she.
Never interview after lunch during the Christmas season
Never interview at Ultimate Software and expect to be treated professionally
If you do interview there, be weary of the CIO (if she's still there) and the IT department's group of rag-tag managers.

Interview Question – How do you deal with personality differences in the workplace?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ultimate Software

Worked for Ultimate Software? Contribute to the Community!