Ultimate Software

Getting the Interview

31 candidate interviews

Programmer Interview

Weston, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Ultimate Software in September 2008.

Interview Details – We basically talked 2 to 1, the interview was my first and needless to say I was unprepared because they asked a lot of different programming based questions. A lot of which I knew but I couldn't quite explain it since I don't know the terms all too well, it was pertinent that this was to be reviewed prior to the interview. They also asked about what I knew about the company and I basically cited info I read online which they knew exactly where it came from...funny sorta. They also asked why did I see myself as a good person for the company. Interview lasted 30 minutes. NOTE: My rating is really off since it has been my only interview.

Interview Question – What is polymorphism?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Weston, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2010.

Interview Details – Talked to the recruiter on the phone for about 1/2 hour before setting up and on-site. The on-site interview consisted of a skill test and 3 group interviews. Not a bad way to get to meet a lot of potential co-workers but it also didn't allow much of a chance to get to know anyone or styles.

After that day I had to wait a little long for the results.

Interview Question – No specific question was especially harder but I had a group interview with 6 people at once.   View Answer

Virtual Trainer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software in August 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiter called for a 1/2 phone screen then 2 days later a phone interview with the hiring manager. Within 1 week a face-to-face was scheduled. This consisted of a training demonstration in front of about 10 managers and other trainers. This was followed by a panel interview and then one-on-one interviews with members of the team. I am currently waiting to hear back to see if they will be offering me the job.

Interview Question – What experience and/or knowledge makes you the best candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Weston, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Ultimate Software in August 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process consist of 3 separate interviews. The first interview is a phone interview with a manager. It was an overview of my experience and some simple .NET questions. The second interview was an in person interview that consisted of two separate tests. The first test was a C# test. The interviewer sat me in front of a laptop running visual studio and asked me to solve an issue with a small console app he had written. The second test was a whiteboard session with a lead developer. He asked me several questions about SQL. The final part of the interview was a walk through of the facility (very impressive I may add) and a history of the company.

Interview Question – I won't put anything too specific but the expectations are high...you must know C# and SQL in and out   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Weston, FL

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Ultimate Software.

Interview Details – I applied through their website; received a phone call 5 days later to schedule an interview. I had 3 separate 1-on-1 interviews with different accounting managers. They were all very nice and the questions were more "tell me about yourself and your experience", Received a phone call 3 days later for a 2nd interview. Had 3 additional 1-on-1 interviews with other accounting staff members; interview was similar to first time. I was notified that the company had narrowed down to four final candidates, including myself, and they would have an answer within 2 weeks. Right about the 2 week mark I received an email that another candidate had been chosen.

Business Analyst Interview

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2012.

Interview Details – I saw the job opening on internet and applied online. A few days later one of HR consultants contacted me view email requesting a phone interview. I was a little surprised to find out the person who would be interviewing me located in another state. We exchanged a couple of emails and set up a time for a phone interview. The interview lasted about one hour and the questions were fairly standard. She asked me about my relevant working experience, education background and why I was leaving my last employment. There were also opportunities for me to ask questions and found out more about the company. The consultant appeared to be friendly and professional. I felt positive about the interview experience.

Interview Question – What aspect of your last position is the most challenging and why?   Answer Question

IT Security Manager Interview

Weston, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2008.

Interview Details – The company's recruiter contacted me and ensured my credentials and background were the right fit based on the hiring manager's requirements (CIO Caroline Reyes).
On the day of my interview, I arrived on-time only to discover that the hiring manager was at an office lunch party and running late. Deciding to wait, I sat with one of the people that my position was supposed to manage, and he attempted to stall for 45 minutes while we awaited the CIO's arrival. Upon her arrival, no apologies or thankyou for waiting, and she proceeded to ask appropriate interview questions for 5 minutes, before having to "run out for a moment", but "so and so, will keep going until I get back". After a few moments, her substitute hadn't any idea of what to ask, or what to talk about, so he pulls another manager into the room to keep the momentum. Eventually, I was being interviewed by the very people I was supposed to manage, as the CIO returned to the room and loudly continued a conversation with her co-worker, 10 feet away in the corridor. In all, the entire interview touched on 5% of what the actual job description and duties entailed, and removed any chances to demonstrate or describe my qualifications for the role.
One might suspect that this could be a psychological interview tactic and if it were, it was poorly executed. The bottom line is that my interview with this company was a farce. Surely I followed up with a cordial thankyou letter, hoping for the best, or a second interview based on the hint of one or more of the interviewers being slightly intoxicated. The call never came, and it was perhaps for the best, judging by the way they treat potential employees.

Up to that point, of the many interviews I've been on, my interviewers were attired appropriately and behaved as professionals.

Some of many lessons learned while interviewing with Ultimate:
Never interview on a Friday or any day before a holiday, as most places it's a casual-day and you're the only one formally attired - it makes you seem as if you don't belong and can cause you to appear intimidating to your interviewer if you are more professionally attired than he or she.
Never interview after lunch during the Christmas season
Never interview at Ultimate Software and expect to be treated professionally
If you do interview there, be weary of the CIO (if she's still there) and the IT department's group of rag-tag managers.

Interview Question – How do you deal with personality differences in the workplace?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Ultimate Software in February 2010.

Interview Details – Phone call from HR to setup phone interview with HR, which was 2 days later. If successful, received phone call from HR 2 days later to setup phone interview with hiring manager. If successful, phone call from HR 3 days later to set up one on one interview with hiring manager and one on one interview with the department head in the same day, back to back. If successful, phone call days later for job offer, if not successful, 2 weeks later an email that the position has been filled.

Interview Questions

Software Developer Intern Interview

Weston, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Ultimate Software in December 2010.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from the company's recruiter. He asked me about my resume and experience and explained about Ultimate Software and why it's a good place to work. Then he asked me if I would want to go for an on-site interview. I agreed. In the interview, there was a C# question that I was supposed to solve on the computer. It was very easy but since I didn't have experience with C# I only outlined the solution. The rest of the interviews were about my past experience, behavioral questions and object oriented design questions. Pretty laid back interview, I'd say.

Interview Question – If we ask about you from your previous supervisors what would they say?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated because the initial offer was just obscene. I was able to get an offer which was 60% more than the initial offer

Marketing Communications Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Ultimate Software in August 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communication was via email and a few days later a phone interview took place

Interview Question – How much information do you know about cremations?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ultimate Software

Worked for Ultimate Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ultimate Software interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by Ultimate Software employees and interview candidates.