Umpqua Bank Universal Associate Interview Questions

Updated Apr 30, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Umpqua Bank (Portland, OR) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed first with manager, who then called in other Associates one at a time - the whole thing took an hour and 45 minutes! There was some repeat questioning doing it that way, but it was kind of nice to get to talk to people individually, to get more of a sense of how they would be to work with. It took forever to get to the second interview, with the area manager. That interview took about 45 minutes and was quite pleasant. No really difficult questions in either interview, mostly standard behavioral questions and open-ended "tell us about your resume." They mostly want to know what kind of person you are - they can teach banking, but they need to know your personality is going to be a good fit for the branch and the culture overall.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when... You had to make a decision on your own on an important matter, and how you dealt with that... You had to deal with a difficult customer... you had a goal you wanted to reach, and how you achieved it.... Also: How do you deal with mistakes? What are three words your (former) coworkers would use to describe you at work?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Umpqua Bank

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Umpqua Bank (Portland, OR) in June 2014.

Interview

I was contacted fairly quick and set up an interview the following day. I arrived about fifteen minutes early and waited until he was ready. I was interviewed by three different people. They had a few sheets of paper stapled together on the table with interview questions to ask, which seemed unorganized and unprofessional. I was asked the same questions multiple times by the different interviewers, which was very repetitive. It seemed rushed and I had a feeling in the end that I didn't get the job. The manager said he would let me know either way the following week, and I was never notified. It would have been nice to know instead of waiting for a call that never happened.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were pretty basic, seeing as they printed them beforehand, probably from an online source. Best/worst customer service experience, mistake you made and how you learned from it, name a time you went above and beyond what was expected, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Umpqua Bank (Spokane, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted within a day or two after applying online. The interview was long, they asked many repetitive questions about past experiences and customer service. It lasted almost an hour. The interviewers (2) were great, dealing with the new structure of the interview process, but I was never notified of having reached the next level or not. Even if it's bad news, it's nice to get notice. If you do make it to the next step, you do interview with two more people, and possibly two more after that.

Interview Questions

• Mostly they ask for many examples about dealing with customers, going beyond expectation, difficult situations, mediating, etc. Just the sheer amount of questions is overwhelming.   Answer Question

Universal Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Umpqua Bank.

Interview

Multi-stage interviewing process. Interview with store manager, district manager, Lead Associate, etc. Very lengthy but mostly because interviewing process is also a sales pitch for culture.

Interview Questions

• Questions are pretty generic but it is helpful to read CEO's book   Answer Question

Negotiation

Dependent on employment referral. If you are referred by another manager, that manager can negotiate on your behalf. Otherwise you will be told there is no negotiation, and salaries are determined by policy (untrue)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Umpqua Bank (Reno, NV) in August 2012.

Interview

Interview process, requires at least 4 interviews before a hiring decision can be made

Interview Questions

• typical interview questions, behaviroal and situational   Answer Question

Negotiation

Quick and easy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Umpqua Bank (San Francisco, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Before you are hired you will be interviewed by 4 different people. This may consist of a recruter calling you, and two people interviewing you at once. You will typically meet first with the hiring manager for the location you are applying for, and then sent to interview with others from there. Dress professionally, men should were nice slacks, a button down shirt and necktie while women should opt for either a conservative skirt or pants with a blazer.

Universal Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Umpqua Bank in March 2011.

Interview

Lengthy interview process....including panel interviews. Mostly fluff questions that are found in most interviews. IE why do you want to work here ...what do you know about our culture.... They really focus of customer service experience vs banking experience. Like to liken brand to Nordstrom or Ritz vs Bank of America. Play up customer service experience and downplay banking

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Umpqua Bank (Portland, OR) in January 2010.

Interview

Must interview with four people with the company at minimum. Consisted of one-on-one interviews, group interviews, and phone interviews (when from a different location). Ask situational questions that are largely customer service based. The company seems to value the personality of the employee more than the previous skills since they believe that they can train the individual to complete the operational side.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had an angry customer and how you handled the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaverton, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Umpqua Bank (Beaverton, OR) in November 2009.

Interview

I interviewed with 4 different associates with the bank before I was offered a position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate at all. I accepted the offer.

Universal Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Umpqua Bank in November 2009.

Interview

The interview process at Umpqua is fantastic. It is very structured, so the interviewers can focus on getting to know the candidate, rather than focusing on what questions to ask. Every candidate is interviewed by four people (one 4:1, two 2:1, on 4:1 etc). This is to ensure that the job is offered to a person that will be a good fit. It keeps the hiring manager from hiring out of desperation. The associates are also involved with interviews sometimes, which is awesome.

Interview Questions

• Please provide an example of when you have provided exceptional customer service.   Answer Question
    • Please tell us about a time when you had an angry customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase for me.