Uncommon Schools Interview Questions

Updated Jul 25, 2015

3.1

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools.

Interview

It is very easy to contact recruitment staff. They have a very straightforward application process. Recruiters answered all of the questions that I had and were eager to help me find the position to apply for.

Interview Questions

• Asked typical questions about what achievement gap means, how I felt about common core, adjectives I would use to describe myself, etc.   Answer Question

Instructional Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools.

Interview

They demanded 250 and 500 word answers for multiple questions in initial application, then included a comment I thought was inappropriate and therefore did not complete: In 500 words or less, because Uncommon leaders use data to drive instruction, we look for leaders who have a proven track record of doing the same. As part of the application process, we ask that you submit achievement data for the students you’ve taught. *

Interview Questions

• As part of the application process, we ask that you submit achievement data for the students you’ve taught. *   1 Answer

Dean Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools.

Interview

-Incompetent phone interviewer who did now outline interview or facilitate effectively. Lots of silences and I had to lead most of it. -Did not gain a sense of who they are, what they do -Recruiter did not know what was happening at school level and could not talk specifics (curriculum, discipline etc.)

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools in June 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was very brief. The recruiter asked me questions such as "How do you stay organized?" and "Describe a time you feel you went above and beyond with customer service." Also, "What drew you to Uncommon Schools?" The lady that called me to interview me moaned during the times I was speaking, which made me very hard for me to remain focused on what I was thinking.

Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard back for a 15-20 minute phone interview within two weeks. In a little over another two weeks, I was asked in for the Development Coordinator Immersion Day. The Immersion Day was a 3-4 period of two interviews with the Development team and 3 job-related tasks. I was impressed by how realistic the 3 tasks were - I feel like it was a good sampling of the job expectations.

Interview Questions

• What do you think of teamwork/ What does teamwork mean to you?   Answer Question

Learning Supports Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

-Submit Application online -If they are interested, they will email you to set up a phone interview -If they are still interested, they will set up an in-person interview for a Demo Lesson/Interview -You are given an agenda once you enter the school (tour, observe classrooms, present demo lesson, interview with principal/staff) -Whether they want you or not, they will email you back if they will offer you a position at their school.

Interview Questions

• - How do you think you did in your demo lesson? - Why did you want to become a teacher? - What is your best accomplishment? - What are some things you wished would change about your current job? - Why do you wish to work at our school/charter school?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools.

Interview

This is a pretty basic/typical interview process. The first phone screening lasts 15-20 minutes and talks about why you want to work for Uncommon. After this, I was followed up via email to join and Immersion Day that last 4-5 hours. The Immersion Day has an intense skills test (role-plays, formal interview, excel testing, etc). These are reviewed by the team of interviewers, some are used later that day while some I think they review after the day has ended. Be prepared, if you are NOT passionate about Uncommon you will NOT get the job even if you have all the skills.

Interview Questions

• What is the worst thing about your current job?   Answer Question
    • Talk about an uncomfortable conversation you have had at work.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools.

Interview

Overall took around 3 weeks. I was first referred from a friend and had a phone interview with a recruiter. The phone interview lasted around 20-30 minutes and heard back around 3 days later for an in-person interview. Went to the in-person interview the next week and heard from them about 3 days later regarding an offer. The in-person interview lasted around 4 hours and started with a tour on the school, morning circle, viewing other teachers, doing a mock lesson, and ending with a debrief on your lesson and a final interview with the principal.

Interview Questions

• What is the achievement gap? Why Uncommon Schools? What is your feeling on feedback? They make you instantly view your lesson and you have to discuss your lesson with them.   Answer Question

Special Projects Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools in April 2015.

Interview

Strung along for 5 months with several different interviews-- response times were generally a lot longer than expected. The in-person full day interview was too rapid and task-filled, in my opinion. Less time spent getting to know candidates and more time assessing answers/performance tasks to see that they fit a tailored Uncommon Schools approach and mindset. Feedback was extremely positive but I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a miscommunication with a supervisor, and how you dealt with it   Answer Question

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to set up a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was with a very nice woman and some basic questions about why I was interested in working for Uncommon Schools. A week after my phone interview I was asked to do a demo lesson as a school, they sent me a scripted lesson plan which I was told to make no changes to. I arrived on a Friday at 7am and stayed till about 11. Another person was also interviewing. We were allowed to freely observe the school for a few hours before conducting our demonstration lesson. My lesson was 25 minutes based on a read aloud, I presented in front of the principal and 20 students. After the lesson I was given more time to observe before conducting a 1 on 1 interview with the principal. The following Tuesday I was informed I was not being offered a position.

Interview Questions

• If I had all your loved ones in one room what would they tell me is your worst quality?   Answer Question