Uncommon Schools Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to set up a phone interview a week later. The phone interview was with a very nice woman and some basic questions about why I was interested in working for Uncommon Schools. A week after my phone interview I was asked to do a demo lesson as a school, they sent me a scripted lesson plan which I was told to make no changes to. I arrived on a Friday at 7am and stayed till about 11. Another person was also interviewing. We were allowed to freely observe the school for a few hours before conducting our demonstration lesson. My lesson was 25 minutes based on a read aloud, I presented in front of the principal and 20 students. After the lesson I was given more time to observe before conducting a 1 on 1 interview with the principal. The following Tuesday I was informed I was not being offered a position.

Interview Questions

• If I had all your loved ones in one room what would they tell me is your worst quality?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

Interview

It took a month. First I had to answer online essays. Then I had to do a skype interview remotely with one of the recruiters. And then I was called into the school for a finalist interview during which I had to give a lesson to a room full of 30 students. The process is too much...

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

So far I've had the phone interview... Super friendly guy names Brian who asked me a few basic questions .. He's very helpful.. I have an in person interview coming up. They have asked that I teach a sample lesson. I recommend viewing all theirs videos online.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application then was contacted for a phone interview. A few days after the phone interview, I was called in to model a scripted lesson. I was there for about 3 hours--modeled my lesson, received feedback from the principal and was notified a week later that I would not be given an offer.

Special Projects Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

I sent in my resume and cover letter and was contacted by the HR. I then had a telephone interview with the typical resume/behavioral interview questions (why Uncommon Schools, why Special Projects Coordinator, how do you work in teams etc). Then there was the final interview day that incorporated an Excel skills test (HR warned me in the telephone interview, but quite frankly, it's more applied statistics with Excel) and two group interviews. There was also some random "what would you do" questions we had to answer and email.

Interview Questions

• None, really. I think the skills test is what threw me off. I definitely did not do that part of the project right.   Answer Question

Associate Development Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

About 30 minutes after finishing my initial phone screening, I was emailed an invitation to interview in NYC 3 business days later. But because their reimbursement policy is $350 for flights (takes up to 8 weeks to receive), and the cheapest flight I could find within that timeframe was $1000, I asked if they would kindly reconsider their reimbursement rate or could I interview with a little further notice. She said, "No problem, I will call you next week with a date for the interview." After one month of stringing me along with promises to contact me "next week" with a new date, I was asked to take a phone interview. The interviewer had 2 years experience (I have ten) and as I expected, was a terrible interviewer. The 4 questions asked were, "How did you get in this field?" "What do you like most?" "What do you like least?" and "What do you expect to be your biggest challenge?" So after being asked to fly in for a full day of immersion and interviews, I was given a 4 question interview. That interviewer said they would be in touch (you guessed it) "next week" with next steps. I checked in the next week, and the week after, only to get a "next week" again. Finally, I received a form email letting me know someone had been hired for the position. I was stunned because in every communication they continued saying we are looking for a date to bring you up. In that time, I declined other interviews in the city because I did not want to be out of pocket for several companies at a time and this one was the one I was most interested in. I was sorely disappointed by their lack of professionalism.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not difficult and did not allow for interesting dialogue.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uncommon Schools (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

You'll get an education in education. Uncommon has some strongly held philosophies. Reading (and practicing) the techniques in Teach Like a Champion could get you far. You'll begin with a phone screen. They will fly you to them to meet the staff in person. I was impressed with how smart and strategic everyone is.

Interview Questions

• They want all teachers to be on the same page - to be consistent. Some might perceive that as less freedom (and more work), but it provides necessary structure for getting kids ahead of the curve.   Answer Question