Uncommon Schools

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Special Projects Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Uncommon Schools in February 2013.

I sent in my resume and cover letter and was contacted by the HR. I then had a telephone interview with the typical resume/behavioral interview questions (why Uncommon Schools, why Special Projects Coordinator, how do you work in teams etc). Then there was the final interview day that incorporated an Excel skills test (HR warned me in the telephone interview, but quite frankly, it's more applied statistics with Excel) and two group interviews. There was also some random "what would you do" questions we had to answer and email.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. I think the skills test is what threw me off. I definitely did not do that part of the project right.   Answer Question

Associate Development Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Uncommon Schools in August 2012.

About 30 minutes after finishing my initial phone screening, I was emailed an invitation to interview in NYC 3 business days later. But because their reimbursement policy is $350 for flights (takes up to 8 weeks to receive), and the cheapest flight I could find within that timeframe was $1000, I asked if they would kindly reconsider their reimbursement rate or could I interview with a little further notice. She said, "No problem, I will call you next week with a date for the interview." After one month of stringing me along with promises to contact me "next week" with a new date, I was asked to take a phone interview. The interviewer had 2 years experience (I have ten) and as I expected, was a terrible interviewer. The 4 questions asked were, "How did you get in this field?" "What do you like most?" "What do you like least?" and "What do you expect to be your biggest challenge?" So after being asked to fly in for a full day of immersion and interviews, I was given a 4 question interview. That interviewer said they would be in touch (you guessed it) "next week" with next steps. I checked in the next week, and the week after, only to get a "next week" again. Finally, I received a form email letting me know someone had been hired for the position. I was stunned because in every communication they continued saying we are looking for a date to bring you up. In that time, I declined other interviews in the city because I did not want to be out of pocket for several companies at a time and this one was the one I was most interested in. I was sorely disappointed by their lack of professionalism.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult and did not allow for interesting dialogue.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uncommon Schools in February 2010.

You'll get an education in education. Uncommon has some strongly held philosophies. Reading (and practicing) the techniques in Teach Like a Champion could get you far. You'll begin with a phone screen. They will fly you to them to meet the staff in person. I was impressed with how smart and strategic everyone is.

Interview Questions
    • They want all teachers to be on the same page - to be consistent. Some might perceive that as less freedom (and more work), but it provides necessary structure for getting kids ahead of the curve.   Answer Question