Undertone

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

2.9

Coordinator Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Undertone.

I had my first interview with HR, followed by two back-to-back phone interviews with the hiring manager and another team member, and a mini follow up with HR. The process concluded with an in-person presentation.

I would recommend that HR pay more attention to their communication flow with candidates. In particular, follow up was quite inconsistent. I would be told that I'd hear from them on a certain day, but I would have to follow up multiple times after the date had passed to hear back from them. I would also suggest that they streamline their communications through one HR specialist. I had to setup my interviews with one HR member and had to talk to another one regarding actual interview questions. It was a bit confusing as to who I needed to go to or follow up with at times. Additionally, the usage of Jobvite is great, but sending communications to a candidate via Jobvite as well as via email can get confusing.

Interview Questions
    They weren't very flexible with negotiations. The first offer was pretty much the final offer.

Salesforce Administrative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Undertone.

The recruiter missed our initial interview call. When we finally chatted she described the position and responsibilities.

After a phone interview and an onsite interview with the hiring managers, the next step was another in person interview where you had to give a presentation on a particular topic.

The recruiter called to schedule this and i asked about the salary. She said she would ask her manager to see if she can reveal that information. She rings me back and said they do not share the salary information at this time.

I found it strange that a company would boost about all their perks but not reveal this information so far into the interview process. She later said on another call, after some probing, the salary was more than what im currently making but the fact that they are not being transparent about it at that point and gave me the runaround left a bad taste in my mouth.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Undertone.

I saw the position listed on Indeed.com and after applying shortly received an email asking my availability for an interview. There were two interviews and a project presentation. The whole process took about a month. Interviews were very laid back and recruiters were easy to connect with.

Learning & Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Undertone in September 2014.

The entire process was thorough and timely. I was impressed by the ongoing communication with the internal Talent Specialists. I was never in the dark regarding scheduling or next steps. I interviewed with several people from different parts of the organization, which was helpful in getting an idea of the culture. My experience was positive and reassuring.

Interview Questions
    • Regardless of the position, candidates are required to put together a PowerPoint presentation and deliver it during the final phase of the interview process.   View Answer

Salesforce.com Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Undertone in August 2014.

This was, by far, one of the best interview processes I have ever experienced. From the first email to the final offer letter, Undertone's hiring manager and team did a fantastic job representing their company and its brand.

The interview process was very efficient. I was contacted by a hiring manager via email to set up a phone interview. Second interview was in person with the position's manager, as well as one of the VPs. Third interview was with a Senior Director. Finally, the fourth interview consisted of an in-person presentation to a grouped audience.

The interview went smoothly because I received constant communication throughout the entire interview. Even when I was preparing my presentation the days leading to the final interview, the hiring manager would check in and see how things were going. How often do you come across an interview where this happens?

Overall, the interview was fun, stress-free, and very inviting. You can only imagine what the company is like - given their interviews!

Interview Questions
    • How would you plan training/orientation for new hires who have never used Salesforce.com before?   Answer Question

Although Undertone offered a great salary with an inviting benefits package, I took an offer that was more aligned with my professional and personal goals.

Senior Analyst Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Undertone.

A recruiter from Undertone reached out to me less than a week after I applied. The interview process took a little over a month; my interview process consisted of one phone screen, one phone interview, three in person interviews, and a presentation. The recruiter was amazing – she always reached out to me after every interview regarding next steps and was very responsive to all questions. Likewise, the team was very accommodating to my hectic schedule, despite the fact that it drew out the interview process. The presentation was a bit challenging but applicable to the role I applied for. I was able to call and ask the recruiter company specific questions to help me with my presentation, and generally received a response within a few hours.

Interview Questions
    • There were no "trick" questions - lots of behavioral questions along with technical questions   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Undertone in July 2014.

NA - There were no real questions. I felt that the clearly inexperienced interviewer was reading off her questions and tuning me out when I responded. No follow up questions whatsoever. I was called out on being "very experienced" - 3 times and the tone was dismissive. I followed up with an thank you email 2 days letter and immediately received a form email letting me know I was not being considered - no reason given. I would really advise the HR leaders to coach the screeners a little more if they are going to waste a half hour of someones time basically reading off descriptions and questions. I found the whole experience insulting and a waste of time.

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Undertone in July 2014.

First discovered company through university's online job search portal. Applied officially online (not for any specific position but mainly for a sales/marketing role). I also had a friend who started working at Undertone about a month or so before I applied, so I also emailed her to see if I could get my resume noticed by HR. Also reached out to an old contact from a past summer's internship for a contact as well. I was contacted by email by an HR person and scheduled an interview over the phone.

The phone interview lasted roughly a half hour and I was impressed with the questions. She asked me about my classes, major, why I decided on my major and minor, my past experiences at my various internships, and asked me about my knowledge of Undertone. After talking for a half hour, she said that I would be invited in for an in person interview next week. I coordinated this with her via email a few days later, and came in for my in person interview the week after my phone interview.

I met with three different people, one on the sales side, and the other two on the marketing side. Both roles were coordinator positions, Marketing Coordinator and Sales Coordinator. The receptionist at the desk had a folder ready for me with an itinerary of who I was going to meet with and when. They also had both job descriptions in the folder as well, which was a very nice personalized touch. After meeting with all three people I felt as if I understood the role very well and connected with the individuals I met. All of them talked about the great office environment, good work life balance, and how great the company is. After getting home, I was contacted again by the HR rep working with me to hear about my feedback when I met with all three people in office. I said that I felt like I had a great interview and would be excited about the next steps.

The next phase of the interview was revealed to me the next day. I had to do a presentation. It was a two part presentation that basically mimicked what I would be eventually doing in both the sales and marketing wings at Undertone. I had the weekend to work on it and came in and presented on Tuesday. Three people came (two hiring managers and the HR woman). I did well on the presentation and made a good impression and after debriefing with the HR woman after about next steps, she said that I would be contacted in the next few days. After I got home, I was sent an email to include my references. They were contacted the next day.

After my references were contacted, I received an offer officially the day after. I accepted and started after the weekend. All in all, it was a very thorough, in depth interview process that took about 3 weeks to a month. HR was great at being transparent and really cared about how I felt the process was going. I was of course nervous that all of the kindness would not lead to an offer, but I was excited to officially receive one within a few days of my final presentation.

Interview Questions
    • Not anything too difficult or unexpected, but interview was very conversational so I suppose I answered a lot of different questions through a natural dialogue.   Answer Question
    Being an entry level candidate, I did not negotiate and was very happy about my offer. I accepted on a Thursday and started work on a Monday (by my own volition).

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Undertone in July 2014.

I applied online and never got a response. Contacted recruiter directly and had phone interview a few days later. After one thank you email and 5 days of no word. Followed up with recruiter who did not answer my email but immediately sent rejection notice. Its a sad world when the buck stops with a junior "recruiter" with a condescending attitude. What a sad representation of an otherwise fantastic company.

Interview Questions
    • No HR questions. No questions. Just a review of the resume and experience. When asked if I had any questions, recruiter could not answer them and seemed very bothered that I had any! Why was the job open? What needs to be accomplished in first 90 days? What is the culture? Nothing. Just a statement that they would contact candidates the next week.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Undertone in July 2014.

The interview process at Undertone was great. They were very communicative and kept me updated throughout the entire process, filling me in on the progress and the state of the position I was applying for. Everyone I met was amazing and more than happy to help/answer any questions I had.

Interview Questions
    • Would you accept the job if we offered it to you right now?   View Answer
    No, I was not able to negotiate, which was the only downside of my whole process.