Underwriters Laboratories

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.7

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Easy., they ask you questions related to your expertise, so be prepared to answer all technical questions correctly. Be firm and pleasant. Easy., they ask you questions related to your expertise, so be prepared to answer all technical questions correctly. Be firm and pleasant.

Lab Tech Interview

Questions about strength and weaknesses. What my degree was in. How would my degree help me to complete tasks in the company. Situation questions such as if this were to happen while at work, what actions would you take?

Interview Questions
    • Questions about what would be asked of me in my position.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in December 2014.

I applied online. Received a call from HR to set up preliminary phone interview. Phone interview was very simple. Asked what i knew about the company and why i wanted to work for UL. It lasted about 20 minutes. Then i was invited for f2f interview with the HR manager and hiring manager. I had a positive interview experience. I was given thorough background of the position. I thought the interview went very well and they even said i had the experience that they were looking for. However, i got a call after couple weeks from the HR informing me that the position was offered to somebody more qualified. But, i was asked if i wanted to interview for another customer service position with another manager, which i agreed. However, i found out during the interview that it was for some position i did not have much experience in. I was told that they would make the decision in a week or so.
    It's been more than 2 weeks and i haven't heard from them. I sent an email to the HR manager to see if the decision has been made, but no reply. I thought being such a reputable company they would at the least send an email as a courtesy to candidates who interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Standard interview behavioral questions. What do you know about the company? What experience do you have? What would your previous boss say about you? questions about team work.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

One phone screening and second more in-depth interview via phone where we went over my resume.
    Phone screening was on foot type of call so it was all needed to be spontaneous

Lab Assistant Interview

applied through a school career services, got an email for a phone interview about a week and a half later. went over a brief history of the company, the functions. Went through my resume, and asked for relevant coursework. Process took about 20 minutes.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

The first interview was with the hiring manager via phone. She asked a few behavioral questions: teamwork and leadership. The next interview was with 2 project managers. There were around 8 behavioral questions ranging from leadership, teamwork, problem solving, and pressure questions. Each question had several parts, so I had to keep asking them to repeat the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you had to explain technical things to non-technical people. What did you do? What were the results? What would you do differently next time?   Answer Question

Other companies offered more.

Junior SOC Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in July 2014.

3 Tier Interview process. First Interviewer was the project manager, very informative and respectful. The second interviewer was also informative and respectful. The third was passive aggressive. First he berated the company by saying "It seems here at UL all you have to do is a good job and you get promoted to manager." (Insert sarcasm here)

He then continued on berating my past accomplishments. He also made it clear that I was not going to be able to utilize any past supervisory experience in my position. ( I certainly had not expected to) Thus asserting the fact he was going to be the "Chief Chest Thumper" and would be in complete control of me should I be hired for the position. It was personally insulting.

He even had me describe the ideal boss and told me he was the exact opposite of what I had described. Also told me that to I should expect to be micromanaged by him if I was hired.

Absolutely the most unprofessional interview I have ever experienced.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fremont, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

The UL executives/hiring managers provided a very comfortable and somewhat entertaining environment to be in--not like your typical hiring event. Other potential interns were there as well. One of the employees gave us a tour of the building, and then we were chosen individually for an interview. Overall everyone there, including my interviewer, were very nice and lively individuals.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work on a science project with a team?   Answer Question

Environmental Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in July 2014.

Very laid back interview. They asked standard questions about my resume and background. Gave a tour of the place, and then the main scientist I would work with asked some more technical questions. The group seemed very nice.

Interview Questions
    I didn't try to negotiate, but they ended up rescinded their offer due to the position being moved to their overseas company.

Project Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in July 2014.

Pretty strait forward. Behavior based interview questions. Most questions based on specific job. Also a set a questions based on company values. Check website for the 5 values that they look for. They ask questions that attempt to get to your values. Look for questions that hint at integrity and respect for co-workers

Interview Questions
    • They ask questions that attempt to get to your values. Look for questions that hint at integrity and respect for co-workers   Answer Question