Underwriters Laboratories

29 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Interview

Northbrook, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview Details – Initial communication was a phone interview where they screened basic behavior questions and had me walk through their resume. This was followed by an in person resume. More of the same: situational questions, walking through my resume, what led me to the company etc. You need to convey in your interview that you can think logically and communicate effectively. Everything you need to learn is taught to you through their training program.

Interview Question – For a new graduate this had to be the situational questions. Nothing technical about my interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate - this was my first job out of College.

PROJECT HANDLER I Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview Details – It's the typical interview process. They ask questions and you respond.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in September 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews with 3 engineering managers

Interview Question – Everything fairly standard, nothing out of the ordinary. Minimal technical questions. Had to do a writing assessment   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview Details – It lasted 2 weeks, I interviewed with 3 people

Interview Question – No difficult questions, they showed me the facility and lab.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy, they made and offer, I accepted it

Associate Project Engineer Interview

Associate Project Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview Details – Received a call from HR to take a test online. The following day, was invited for an interview that day. I talked to HR, then went to a small conference room to have an interview with my future manager and supervisor. They offered me the job that day, due to me already receiving another job offer the day prior.

Interview Question – There was a skills test given prior to the interview that tested math and reading skills which was timed and pretty difficult.   Answer Question

Regulatory Researcher Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories.

Interview Details – I was hired through a recruiter. Interview was intensive with a test being proctored and evaluated on my performance and success.

Interview Question – Please take the test while I watch your progress.   Answer Question

Client Services Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in September 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a head hunter, phone interview with HR, Assessment, In person interview. Excellent behavioral and face to face interaction with the Hiring Manager and HR Manager.

Interview Question – None really   View Answer

Laboratory Operations Intern Interview

Northbrook, IL

Interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories

Interview Details – I gave my resume to an HR rep during a career fair and didn't expect much to come from it since they said there weren't open positions. Then I got an email to set up a phone interview a month or two later. I took the phone interview. I was asked to tell a little about myself, then to explain the past work experiences I had on my resume and give an example of when I had to deal with a difficult situation. Phone interview went well, it was relaxed and conversational. Then I got an email to go in for an in-person interview. My interview was with one of the most experiences lab employees. Questions were mostly personality questions but I did get asked to explain how to work some of the instruments I mentioned on my resume.

Interview Question – How do you use the spectrophotometer?
Then I was asked about other instruments as well but I ended up working in a completely non-related lab section.
  Answer Question

WiSE Laboratory Engineer Interview

Fremont, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was called by HR for an initial phone screen after applying online. I went for an on site interview a week and a half later. The job description was really vague and I never got a clear answer as to who the hiring manager is. I was just to be put through the gauntlet and tossed wherever they needed warm bodies. Three out of the five interviewers tried various ham handed techniques to get me to interview for the night shift position. I can read and was well aware of the night shift openings. If I wanted to apply for night shift, I would have. One of the interviewers actually bragged about how the average time card he signs off on is 74 hours per week. I'm not sure what kind of candidates this particular department is trying to attract, but it's obvious it's those with no lives or family to raise. One interviewer only talked to me for about 45 seconds,as though I was an annoying distraction.

The last interviewer was the final nail in the coffin. Poor communication skills with a superiority complex. This was definitely one of the most unprofessional interviews I have had.

Interview Question – How would you deal with an irate customer?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Camas, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Underwriters Laboratories in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the job because UL is across the street from where I live, but already had a job so when HR called for an interview, I just decided to not call them back. HR called 4 times over a 2 week period and I found out that I had been accepted to an MBA program and would need a more stable work environment than outside sales...I finally decided to call them back. We did an initial phone interview and then I did not hear back from HR for a 2 or 3 weeks. I was called in for an interview with the hiring manager. I started off with a face to face with the hiring manager and then she brought on a regional director via conference call and he asked his own set of questions. A few days after the phone interview, I received a phone call with a formal offer from HR. They sent me a packet with health benefit info, salary, bonus/incentive plan, etc as well as instructions to complete a drug test.

Interview Question – Every question is standardized. They ask a lot of questions that contain questions within the questions. Example: Name a time that you encountered a coworker who was unexpectedly upset over a mistake that you had made. Did you agree with their complaint? What would you do differently next time, and what is your opinion about the situation looking back now?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The HR rep told me the salary range (between $42,000 and $49,000 base) and they offered me $45,000 which I thought was fair considering I had no engineering sales experience. No negotiation needed.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Underwriters Laboratories

Worked for Underwriters Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Underwriters Laboratories interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Underwriters Laboratories employees and interview candidates.