UniFirst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stockton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockton, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UniFirst.

Stockton, CA

Applied through the company website. Was rejected before anyone talked to me.

Applied again (same position same location) got a call from somewhere back east, from a nice young lady...very pleasant, not a day over 22 years old. Got thanks but no thanks email.

Applied again (same position same location) got a call from Sales Manager to schedule phone interview in a day or two. Got the call. We talked for a long time...He asked questions I gave great answers. I asked plenty of questions, he gave answers.
    ***He also briefed me on the interview process...Phone interview, in person interview...if that went well you would meet with the GM and schedule an interview with him, and finally interview with a regional manager***

At the end of the conversation he says "okay, If you don't hear from us it probably means we have moved on" WTF? Throwing out the thanks but no thanks disclaimer already? Unprofessional in my mind.
    In 20 minutes I had an email requesting an in person interview.

At this point in excited, schedule the interview and ironed my shirt.

Get to the interview...waited a few minutes. Here he comes, He takes me into the conf room and offers me a water, I say yes please. He disappears for 7 min. Comes back with warm water. He sits on one side of the big conf table I sit on the other...He says "we just switched from career builder to monster, I will be entering your answers so if it looks like I'm not paying attention it is because I'm following my screen" Um, okay. That was about our last eye contact. He did proceed to tell me how great he was.

He goes through a bunch of "tell me about a time..." question.
    Tell me about a time:
    -you made a bad decision
    -you came up with an idea that was not well received, how did you handle it
    -you had to correct someone
    -you came up with a good idea
    -you had to get a team to work on one goal
    -blah blah blah

Then hit me with: "rate yourself 1-10 in the following"
    -time management
    -knowledge of excel
    -knowledge of word
    -comfortable with technology
    -cold calling
    -presentation skills
    There were about 10

So at the end of the interview he AGAIN throws out "If you don't hear from us it probably means we have moved on" WTF? Throwing out the thanks but no thanks disclaimer again? This time I know I am not going to be called again because I didn't get to meet the GM. I did call again and again and again, but no call back, of coarse.

Interview Questions
    • What was unexpected was seeing a conf room microphone on the table linked to his laptop...recording the conversation.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied online. About a week later I received an email requesting a phone interview and accepted. When Mathew called me, he was completely distant and sounded annoyed the entire time. He clearly had a list of required questions to ask and was only interested in getting the answers written down as quickly as possible to get it over with. Throughout the whole call, he never let me finish a single thought or answer, had zero personality, and made snide comments to many of my answers. At one point, he asked me to list all me accomplishments since 8th grade. That was 20 years ago! I named one, and he moved on.

At the end, he said he will score my answers and contact me if I qualified for an interview. I asked him to talk to me about the job and he said he doesn't do that on this call.

Even if I get an interview, I will not accept it. As a customer service oriented professional, I would NEVER work for a company who thinks that this way of treating people is acceptable. Horrible first impression!! Clearly, this is how they treat people, potential employees or customers, and I will gladly not be a part of it!

Interview Questions
    • List your accomplishments since 8th grade.   View Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UniFirst in August 2014.

received call from Sales Manager, (returned call 3 times), He called back to set up phone interview.
    After phone interview, scheduled face to face. At his office on his time.

Interview Questions
    • how to you feel about cold calling. 25 cold calls a day. How do feel about recording all your actions on a tablet PC for management to review. Why should we hire you. Why do you want to work at a difficult highly competitive industry like ours.   View Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Puyallup, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UniFirst in September 2013.

Very unprofessional Interview/Hiring process. Way too much was promised during the interview process. Promise of high compensations and "presidents club", when reality says differently. Being promised to make an additional $40K-$60K per year in commission by just following the "system", when less than 3% of sales reps nationwide even hit quota.

Interview Questions
    • "If hired, do you plan to develop a career at UniFirst?"
      This is obviously a loaded question, since the turnover rate at this company is extremely high. You answer yes, but you really think to yourself "Do I really intend to stay at a company this unprofessional for the next 20 years?"
        View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UniFirst in January 2014.

Applied online through Unifirst website and LinkedIn. Heard back from a district manager the next week. Process was somewhat long, about 3 weeks total. First was phone interview, then in person interview. After that was a ride along with a sales rep, then a face to face interview with the regional manager.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic: Why will you be a successful outside sales representative at Unifirst?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Set base salary, with great benefits and little add-ons, and then uncapped commission.

Route Sales Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at UniFirst in August 2010.

I sat in that chair for two hours and answered every question under the sun. Much of the time was idle chit-chat. I believe my patience was just being tested. In the end I got the job. Worst. Mistake. Ever.

Flat corporate mandated base rate + opportunity for additional commissions.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at UniFirst in May 2014.

I applied via the company's website and received a phone call from a Sales Manager about a week later. The sales manager was taken back a little bit because I actually answered the phone, stated that he was not used to that these days. He described the company and the position, and asked if I wanted to spend some time talking about it. I asked a couple of questions about how the database is set up, and about compensation. He offered me an interview for 3 days later.

The interview lasted about an hour with both of us asking questions of each other. At the end of it, he wanted confirmation that I felt I could do the job. I told him that it was definitely something that I can do. They then give you an assignment to do, to determine your ability to talk to anybody and to be rejected and still be able to carry on. I am waiting for that email to come in this afternoon. He stated the next step is to respond to that, then prepare for a presentation and then meet with another manager.

As part of the interview, I asked about the culture of the company. He stated he had been with the company for almost 10 years, and really enjoyed it; stated that it's a very family-oriented company. They celebrate all of the employees' birthdays the last week of the month, they celebrate founders day, and they have a yearly "presidents club" trip for outstanding sales reps and a guest.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any unexpected or really difficult questions. The one that I had to think about the hardest was "Who is the one person you admire most and why?". I admire many people for many different reasons, so it was a little bit difficult for me to answer in a way that tied back to the interview and other points that had been discussed.   Answer Question
    I was not given the job yet, as I still have several more portions of the interview to go through, but I accepted the next phase of the process.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at UniFirst.

I received a call from the sales manager. He asked the "so tell me a little bit about yourself". I was then given the choice for an official "Skype" or face to face interview. I chose a the face to face interview

Interview Questions
    • There were not any unexpected or difficult questions. However, I felt like the person interviewing me was talking me out of the position. The interview lasted for more than one hour. I have not heard back from them.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at UniFirst in April 2014.

I was emailed by the hiring manager. She asked me if I would be available the next day between noon and 5 pm for a telephone interview. I wrote back and told her I would be available.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, mostly her telling me about the position.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UniFirst.

Phone interview that quickly leads to a face to face with the local sales manager and branch manager. If you proceed then an interview with regional sales manager. If you make it this far you are going to extend an offer. Unifirst has an over 80% turnover rate so they are looking to expedite the hiring process.

Interview Questions
    Numbers are universal and set at corporate. There is no ability for the local branch to negotiate anything.

Worked for UniFirst? Contribute to the Community!