UniFirst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014
Updated Oct 11, 2014

2.8

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UniFirst in April 2014.

I was emailed by the hiring manager. She asked me if I would be available the next day between noon and 5 pm for a telephone interview. I wrote back and told her I would be available.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, mostly her telling me about the position.   Answer Question

Route Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hummelstown, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hummelstown, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at UniFirst in March 2014.

Initially interviewed for and was at first interested in the Outside Sales Representative position, but also had an interest in the Route Sales Representative position (where you get to drive a truck and make deliveries). After a little over one month from the OSR interview, the Sales Manager had the District Service Manager contact me to schedule an interview for the RSR position. Went in on a Wednesday morning and was essentially offered the job right there and then at the conclusion of the interview. Thought it over that day and accepted it via email with the Service Manager the next morning. Very simple process and quite easy to be honest.

Interview Questions
    • None at all - the Service Manager fully explained the position details and requirements to me and answered all of my questions that I had written down.   Answer Question
    There really wasn't any room for any negotiation. Pay is set for RSR employees and goes up over some time with the company. RSR employees do get other perks and opportunities to make more money with the job itself. I was satisfied with the interview and everything all together.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UniFirst.

Initial phone interview was very brief. I was asked to tell them a little about myself and my work experience. After a quick conversation, I was asked if I was willing to get 8-12 company's to complete a 6 question survey about their business. This is a great trial by fire vetting task, you know right away if cold calling business to business sales is what you want to do for a living. Great company to work for from what I understand, just not me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UniFirst in January 2014.

Applied online through Unifirst website and LinkedIn. Heard back from a district manager the next week. Process was somewhat long, about 3 weeks total. First was phone interview, then in person interview. After that was a ride along with a sales rep, then a face to face interview with the regional manager.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic: Why will you be a successful outside sales representative at Unifirst?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Set base salary, with great benefits and little add-ons, and then uncapped commission.

Sales Interview

You will meet the Sales Manager and Branch Manager. They will string you along until they fire someone. Then they will rush you in to a drug test and "training" which at first is just BS videos about the dead founder and anti union vids.

One salary fits all.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marysville, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UniFirst.

I had similar experinces to what the people before me have written. They want to know your life story, especially anything that shows your competitive edge, starting with highschool. Hopefully you are not currently employed because they will want to interview you 5 times. They will likely also give you a field exercise or ride along. If you really want the job be persistant they like that. Word of caution though, they will monitor your every move (with consistant phone calls and gps tracking) and expect you to be in the field cold calling from 8am to 5pm. The cold calling schedule isn't bad unless you are good at sales and need to do order write ups, and presentations or proposals. If you need to do things like that it has to come out of your own time. As does anything else you need to do to create an order. Planning for you weekly check in meetings happens on your own time too which includes scheduling your cold call route and writting plans on how you are going to penitrate your large accounts. All in all the employees that work for the branch I was at were either constently in trouble or worked 60+ hours a week. I urge you to talk to any current employee to see what the work conditions are because it becomes hard to apply for other jobs and interview when you work so many hours.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me what you were like in highschool. I would recommend asking them what they are looking for during the interview and package your anwsers accordingly since that is what their training will tell you to do.   Answer Question
    Non negotiable and complicated as far as comission goes.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UniFirst in November 2013.

Applied online. Received email from hiring manager and then a phone interview with the Sales Manager. First interview was a long and thorough interview lasting more than one hour. Manager asked multiple questions ranging from "give me a time when you experienced a challenge.." to "walk me through your resume from college."

Interview Questions
    • "If you were in a foot race and you kept getting beat over and over again, what would you do?"   View Answer
    Set offer...base + commission

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UniFirst in October 2013.

It is a lengthy process but beneficial for both parties. The company wants to make sure you are a good fit for the position as well as making sure you think you are a good fit. Gives plenty of information and gives you the opportunity to ride with a rep for a day to see what the job entails. Very transparent with the tasks, compensation, and expectations.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They were upfront about the offer and what is included. All the details were hashed out before the offer was made.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at UniFirst in September 2013.

Very unprofessional Interview/Hiring process. Way too much was promised during the interview process. Promise of high compensations and "presidents club", when reality says differently. Being promised to make an additional $40K-$60K per year in commission by just following the "system", when less than 3% of sales reps nationwide even hit quota.

Interview Questions
    • "If hired, do you plan to develop a career at UniFirst?"
      This is obviously a loaded question, since the turnover rate at this company is extremely high. You answer yes, but you really think to yourself "Do I really intend to stay at a company this unprofessional for the next 20 years?"
        View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, MA

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at UniFirst.

Had a total of 3 interviews, first was a phone interview with department supervisor, then another in person with department supervisor, then with Dept Manager and VP of Marketing. The people were very nice and the interviews were casual and easy-going. At the beginning of the third interview, the VP, who obviously did not review my resume beforehand, says, "Wow, you come from _____? That's a long commute for minimum wage." It pretty much went down hill from there. No matter what I said to diffuse the matter, he could not get his head around the distance issue.

To top it off, I had a two hour drive to get to the interview and had to take a "test" after each interview. A test! Seriously?? I've been in the business almost as long as the supervisor as been alive!

After a month of emails and interviews, I never heard back… not even a rejection letter.