UniFirst Outside Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jan 30, 2015
Updated Jan 30, 2015

3.5

Outside Sales Representative Interview

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UniFirst.

Pretty extensive process, but moved fairly quickly. Submitted my resume and was then contacted by the assistant sales manager the next day to schedule a phone interview. After the phone interview he booked me for a face to face interview. After that I was asked to prepare a presentation and had to come back to meet with the sales manager the following week. After meeting with the sales manager I was scheduled to do a ride along with a tenured sales rep. Then came in the day after that to listen to a call block and had to do a mock cold call to the entire sales team on speaker phone. Finally had a phone interview with the regional sales manager and then was given an offer.

Other Interview Reviews for UniFirst

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Landover, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Landover, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UniFirst in January 2015.

This was a very long interview process, BUT ITS WORTH IT. I had a phone screening about a week after I applied, the following week I had a face-face with the sales manager and sales supervisor. After that I was given two assignments to complete and do power points on the field survey I did (go to 10 different businesses and ask them about their uniforms) and packet that they gave me to read about how to become a top seller there. Once I reported that I completed the assignments I had another interview with the regional sales manager and had to bring in at least 3 references. After that all that was left was a drug screen and background check.

It seems like a long process but it really does prepare you for the job. You do jump through a lot of hoops but in that industry they need to know who's serious about the position and about excelling at the job and you need to know if you can handle the job.

Interview Questions
    • I see that you're a telemarketer have you ever experienced face-to-face sales?   View Answer
    • Give me five things that you want me to remember about you   Answer Question
    • give me an example of how you were at the workplace, had to do with over adversity, and overcame it   Answer Question
    • what kind of car do you drive?   View Answer
    • You've been at your job for over five years what's making you look for a new opportunity?   Answer Question
    There was no need to negotiate they gave me a handsome base salary and with the commission, bonuses, vehicle allowance, cell phone allowance, and BENEFITS I know that I'll be able to make a lot more than I was.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UniFirst.

First had a phone screening, then was brought in for a face to face. Had another face to face then was asked to do a field exercise and presentation. Had a video interview with management at other location then another interview with Branch Manager. Overall a total of 7 interviews. Not too difficult, basic questions

Interview Questions
    • "If you could be any animal what would you be and why"   Answer Question
    Nothing to negotiate

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UniFirst.

Piliminary interview, then meet the Sales Manager for another interview, if you make it past the sales manager you have a good chance. You then will have a panel interview with the regional sales manager and then take an assesement to determine if you Got the Suff for sales. Then you wait for about a week. Its a good 2 week process minimum

Interview Questions
    They give you your job offer and say these are the terms if you choose to accept them. They are fair enough terms nothing shady.

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UniFirst.

Stockton, CA

Applied through the company website. Was rejected before anyone talked to me.

Applied again (same position same location) got a call from somewhere back east, from a nice young lady...very pleasant, not a day over 22 years old. Got thanks but no thanks email.

Applied again (same position same location) got a call from Sales Manager to schedule phone interview in a day or two. Got the call. We talked for a long time...He asked questions I gave great answers. I asked plenty of questions, he gave answers.
    ***He also briefed me on the interview process...Phone interview, in person interview...if that went well you would meet with the GM and schedule an interview with him, and finally interview with a regional manager***

At the end of the conversation he says "okay, If you don't hear from us it probably means we have moved on" WTF? Throwing out the thanks but no thanks disclaimer already? Unprofessional in my mind.
    In 20 minutes I had an email requesting an in person interview.

At this point in excited, schedule the interview and ironed my shirt.

Get to the interview...waited a few minutes. Here he comes, He takes me into the conf room and offers me a water, I say yes please. He disappears for 7 min. Comes back with warm water. He sits on one side of the big conf table I sit on the other...He says "we just switched from career builder to monster, I will be entering your answers so if it looks like I'm not paying attention it is because I'm following my screen" Um, okay. That was about our last eye contact. He did proceed to tell me how great he was.

He goes through a bunch of "tell me about a time..." question.
    Tell me about a time:
    -you made a bad decision
    -you came up with an idea that was not well received, how did you handle it
    -you had to correct someone
    -you came up with a good idea
    -you had to get a team to work on one goal
    -blah blah blah

Then hit me with: "rate yourself 1-10 in the following"
    -time management
    -knowledge of excel
    -knowledge of word
    -comfortable with technology
    -cold calling
    -presentation skills
    There were about 10

So at the end of the interview he AGAIN throws out "If you don't hear from us it probably means we have moved on" WTF? Throwing out the thanks but no thanks disclaimer again? This time I know I am not going to be called again because I didn't get to meet the GM. I did call again and again and again, but no call back, of coarse.

Interview Questions
    • What was unexpected was seeing a conf room microphone on the table linked to his laptop...recording the conversation.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UniFirst.

This was an extremely long interview process. I applied online and received a phone call from the Sales Manager on the same day. At that time we scheduled an interview for 2 weeks in the future. After the initial interview I was given homework to develop a presentation that would be performed at the next interview with the GM. After that (about 2 more weeks) I had a phone interview with the Regional Manager and was then offered the job. About another week went by and I got my physical and drug test scheduled. Once the results came back, I went to work the following week. It took about 5 weeks total from application to start date.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any specific questions.. Just typical discussion about my previous jobs and how I would overcome objections.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UniFirst in May 2014.

I applied via the company's website and received a phone call from a Sales Manager about a week later. The sales manager was taken back a little bit because I actually answered the phone, stated that he was not used to that these days. He described the company and the position, and asked if I wanted to spend some time talking about it. I asked a couple of questions about how the database is set up, and about compensation. He offered me an interview for 3 days later.

The interview lasted about an hour with both of us asking questions of each other. At the end of it, he wanted confirmation that I felt I could do the job. I told him that it was definitely something that I can do. They then give you an assignment to do, to determine your ability to talk to anybody and to be rejected and still be able to carry on. I am waiting for that email to come in this afternoon. He stated the next step is to respond to that, then prepare for a presentation and then meet with another manager.

As part of the interview, I asked about the culture of the company. He stated he had been with the company for almost 10 years, and really enjoyed it; stated that it's a very family-oriented company. They celebrate all of the employees' birthdays the last week of the month, they celebrate founders day, and they have a yearly "presidents club" trip for outstanding sales reps and a guest.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any unexpected or really difficult questions. The one that I had to think about the hardest was "Who is the one person you admire most and why?". I admire many people for many different reasons, so it was a little bit difficult for me to answer in a way that tied back to the interview and other points that had been discussed.   Answer Question
    I was not given the job yet, as I still have several more portions of the interview to go through, but I accepted the next phase of the process.

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UniFirst in April 2014.

I was emailed by the hiring manager. She asked me if I would be available the next day between noon and 5 pm for a telephone interview. I wrote back and told her I would be available.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, mostly her telling me about the position.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UniFirst.

Initial phone interview was very brief. I was asked to tell them a little about myself and my work experience. After a quick conversation, I was asked if I was willing to get 8-12 company's to complete a 6 question survey about their business. This is a great trial by fire vetting task, you know right away if cold calling business to business sales is what you want to do for a living. Great company to work for from what I understand, just not me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UniFirst in January 2014.

Applied online through Unifirst website and LinkedIn. Heard back from a district manager the next week. Process was somewhat long, about 3 weeks total. First was phone interview, then in person interview. After that was a ride along with a sales rep, then a face to face interview with the regional manager.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic: Why will you be a successful outside sales representative at Unifirst?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Set base salary, with great benefits and little add-ons, and then uncapped commission.