Union Pacific

2.8

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Train Crewman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

There were a lot of applicants and the interview process was all day long. There are no tests and you have to solely rely on your personal interview and resume to get the job. If you are not safety minded and display that in your interview you will NOT get hired.

Its all over the internet. You receive an email within a few days and have to complete everything in your employment hub online.

Train Crew Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in June 2014.

Application process went quite quickly. I applied online. I think the next day I took the reading comprehension test. About a week later, I got an email inviting me to attend an interview session that was scheduled about 2-3 weeks away.

I attended the interview session and had my interview. The HR person said that we would know by the end of the night if we were offered the job or not. I thought the interview went very well. Answered the questions correctly. It was a very nice, calm atmosphere that even included some light humor. I really don't understand why I didn't get the job quite honestly, but I do understand that everything happens for a reason.

I will say that they need some work on their online site. I was confused as to whether I got an offer or not because my status online didn't change, but my application did not go to "No longer considered" either.

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melrose Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melrose Park, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in May 2014.

Fill out application online, you don't need a resume since you are filling out the form online. Make sure you are very close on the dates and don't like about anything because the railroad police are going to verify everything. They try to scare you off and I almost wish I walked out, the reality of second shift with tuesdays and wednesdays as my "weekend" is hard to swallow. The whole process is difficult and stressful, then when you see your new coworkers you realize they would have hired literally anyone who would put up with these weird shifts and days off.

Interview Questions
    • They ask vague questions and let you answer them as you see fit, you will not get any feedback or emotion out of the hiring managers they will let you ramble on. Some questions were: Describe a typical day at your current job. Why should we hire you? why do you want this job? What would you do if you saw an employee violating a safety rule?   View Answer
    It's union job so a big labor union already negotiated a mediocre wage.

Transportation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Charles, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Charles, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in July 2011.

invited to hiring session with approx 10 others. It took most of the day, ended with no talk of a call back

Transportation Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elmhurst, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Union Pacific in February 2011.

The hiring session consisted of a presentation about the position and then a test battery. The test battery consisted of a business acumen (intelligence) test, a 5 minute test that no one can complete and a very long personality test. The intelligence test is not that difficult, mostly common sense. The 5 minute test is just there to see how well you work under pressure and how quickly and accurately you think. The personality test is long and very thorough. After that you break for lunch and proceed to 1:1 interviews. The interview questions are safety focused and evaluate how you handled learning new information and strategies that you used to overcome challenges. Provide examples of leadership, ability to adapt, willingness to relocate and examples of safety. I recently got an email stating that I passed the test battery but have not yet found out if I will proceed to the next step which is to fly out to Omaha, Nebraska for the second round of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one instance where you had to use your knowledge of safety to prevent an accident?   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Union Pacific in June 2010.

they will tell you how horrible it is then when the lazies get up and leave then they tall how much money your going to make lol