Union Pacific Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 8, 2015

2.6

Sheet Metal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Union Pacific (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

You are invited to a "hiring session" with a group of people a video is played, and you are allowed to ask questions. Then you are scheduled for a individual interview by three UP employees (a panel interview) Do not lie on your application the UP police will check/ investigate. A kid asked what the job duties were and didn't even get a clear answer, He was told "everything". To top it off online we were told the job was to take place in Crystal Lake during the hiring session we then learned it would take place in Highland Park almost an hour away from Crystal lake?

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Union Pacific?
      What experience do you have With Fuel systems Sanding systems Hydraulic and pneumatic systems?
      Have you ever been late for work?
      What kinds of hand tools have you used before?

Answer Question

OMT INTERVIEW for TRANSPORTATION Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Union Pacific (Chicago, IL) in November 2014.

Interview

Had to take a test online- followed by an invitation to a hiring session- if the initial interview is passed invited to face to face in the region that you select.

Train Crewman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

There were a lot of applicants and the interview process was all day long. There are no tests and you have to solely rely on your personal interview and resume to get the job. If you are not safety minded and display that in your interview you will NOT get hired.

Negotiation

Its all over the internet. You receive an email within a few days and have to complete everything in your employment hub online.

Train Crew Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific (Chicago, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

Application process went quite quickly. I applied online. I think the next day I took the reading comprehension test. About a week later, I got an email inviting me to attend an interview session that was scheduled about 2-3 weeks away.

I attended the interview session and had my interview. The HR person said that we would know by the end of the night if we were offered the job or not. I thought the interview went very well. Answered the questions correctly. It was a very nice, calm atmosphere that even included some light humor. I really don't understand why I didn't get the job quite honestly, but I do understand that everything happens for a reason.

I will say that they need some work on their online site. I was confused as to whether I got an offer or not because my status online didn't change, but my application did not go to "No longer considered" either.

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melrose Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific (Melrose Park, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Fill out application online, you don't need a resume since you are filling out the form online. Make sure you are very close on the dates and don't like about anything because the railroad police are going to verify everything. They try to scare you off and I almost wish I walked out, the reality of second shift with tuesdays and wednesdays as my "weekend" is hard to swallow. The whole process is difficult and stressful, then when you see your new coworkers you realize they would have hired literally anyone who would put up with these weird shifts and days off.

Interview Questions

• They ask vague questions and let you answer them as you see fit, you will not get any feedback or emotion out of the hiring managers they will let you ramble on. Some questions were: Describe a typical day at your current job. Why should we hire you? why do you want this job? What would you do if you saw an employee violating a safety rule?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It's union job so a big labor union already negotiated a mediocre wage.

Transportation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific (Saint Charles, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

invited to hiring session with approx 10 others. It took most of the day, ended with no talk of a call back

Transportation Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Elmhurst, IL

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Union Pacific (Elmhurst, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

The hiring session consisted of a presentation about the position and then a test battery. The test battery consisted of a business acumen (intelligence) test, a 5 minute test that no one can complete and a very long personality test. The intelligence test is not that difficult, mostly common sense. The 5 minute test is just there to see how well you work under pressure and how quickly and accurately you think. The personality test is long and very thorough. After that you break for lunch and proceed to 1:1 interviews. The interview questions are safety focused and evaluate how you handled learning new information and strategies that you used to overcome challenges. Provide examples of leadership, ability to adapt, willingness to relocate and examples of safety. I recently got an email stating that I passed the test battery but have not yet found out if I will proceed to the next step which is to fly out to Omaha, Nebraska for the second round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe one instance where you had to use your knowledge of safety to prevent an accident?   Answer Question

Conductor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Union Pacific (Chicago, IL) in June 2010.

Interview

they will tell you how horrible it is then when the lazies get up and leave then they tall how much money your going to make lol