Union Pacific

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

IT

Interviewed at Union Pacific

Interview Details – The interview was very traditional but most of the questions were read from a sheet of paper. Nothing particularly hard or deep in the questions. Standard all around but he was very good in the part where the interviewee asks the questions. He seemed very interested in the interview and his job and was courteous throughout.

Interview Question – Name a time where you had to ask for help and what was it and how did it go?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got a better counter offer from another company

Omaha, NE

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in January 2013.

Interview Details – Attended an open house for their Austin, TX satellite office and forwarded my resume to a manager there. He then set up a phone interview with a Software Engineer from HQ in Omaha, NE. We had a 45 minute behavioral interview that was pretty easy and I felt comfortable with how it went.

Less than a week after the phone interview, I received a phone call wanting them to fly me out to Omaha for an on-site interview. Once I set that up, it was nice accommodations. They set me up in a Doubletree Hotel across the street from HQ with breakfast the morning before the interview. The on-site interview was fairly straightforward. It started with a 30 minute company and IT department overview. Then, there I had two one-on-one interviews with Senior Managers who mainly asked the standard behavioral questions about weaknesses, strengths, and where I see myself in five years.

After the one-an-ones, there was a panel interview with four people at once who were a combination of Senior Engineers and Managers across several different groups within IT. It was also a fairly straightforward interview where they didn't ask any technical questions.

After all of the interviews, we had an informal lunch in the cafeteria in the building. After lunch, we went on a tour of the data center, their lab, various other parts of the building, and they drove me around Omaha.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

IT
Omaha, NE

The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2011.

Interview Details – Started with a 1:1 interview. They use a list of standard questions they give to everyone. Next was a couple of phone interviews detailing a position and its requirements. After the initial phone interview with management team, was brought in for an in person panel interview with many of the same questions as the first 1:1 interview. Do your homework before you interview here. You should have a solid understanding of what UP does, how they are doing, where they are going and what challenges they currently are facing. It is important to them that they know you have spent time understanding the railroad industry. Also, try and relate past experiences into your answers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – more salary. There is a lot of opportunity at UP. Getting your foot in the door is a big accomplishment. There is lots of room to grow. So realize you might end up accepting less than you might like.

Omaha, NE

The process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in September 2011.

Interview Details – Very positive interview experience. The Union Pacific rep was very friendly, easy to talk to, and seemed like someone who I would want to work with. Some of the questions were of the HR nature, but most of the interview dealt with my background and how Union Pacific and I could be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation where you were in charge of a group.   Answer Question
  • Have you ever had to deal with a team member that was difficult and how did you deal with the situation?   Answer Question

Omaha, NE

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in June 2010.

Interview Details – Met at career fair, on-campus interview, then phone interview. Invited to Omaha for panel interview.

Interview Question – What was your least favorite class?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Union Pacific

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!

Union Pacific Videos

Union Pacific – Why Work for Us?

As a railroad, we can get just about anything from point A to point B. (As North America's largest railroad, we can get it to point Z, too.) But what's truly special about Union Pacific is the way we get the job done… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Pacific IT interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Union Pacific employees and interview candidates.