Union Pacific

2.8

Electronics Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cordova, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Union Pacific in August 2011.

A very intense panel interview. Presentations and paperwork took up most of the day. The actual interview process was a little under two hours. Questions started off very general then gradually became technical with every passing round of three interviewers. Be prepared to answer questions regarding microwave technologies and frequencies.

Interview Questions
    • Explain microwaves in relation to communication   Answer Question
    • Are you willing to travel 75% of every month. One week home and three away.   View Answer

received a similar offer from a different company with the same benefits. The new company was closer to home.

IT Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ames, IA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Union Pacific in March 2012.

Did an on campus interview with 2 of their associates. The application online was very long and detailed akin to applying for a security clearance. During the interview they asked very detailed questions such as experience with IT security and different publications that I read.

Interview Questions
    • They asked if I knew certain industry standards and issues(e.g stack overflows).   Answer Question

Train Crewman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific in May 2013.

This company basically lied to us in a hiring session, telling us we would be paid $140-$150 a day to train, then go on the job training at almost $20 union scale an hour.. once we started we were told it was only $10 an hour and we could not join union for 6 months or a year. After almost a month, we still cant get direct answers from anyone, and even the HR people in Nebraska refuse to call the recruiter to ask what we were promies, which seems to point to them knowing of the practice and refusing to do anything about it.

Interview Questions
    • They will not answer any of your questions, although they will have many for you. The class work every day would assign homework that would take an adiittional 4 or 5 hours to complete.   View Answer
    It is HORRIBLE, we still cant get an answer why we were lied to.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in February 2009.

Interview process is somewhat extended. Employees are first sourced through a recruiting session or apply online. If selected for the next round, candidates are brought in and given a series of tests--Operations Management Battery Test--which is essentially some technical/math/reading comprehension key indicators. A personality test is also given to see if you are the right fit for the position. Afterwards you are interviewed one-on-one to screen out any other candidates. Folllowing, you will be contacted and requested to interview will some "higher ups" --from there the interview process is highly varied, but focuses on your intentions, hypotheticals, and background.

Interview Questions
    • The hypotheticals bother me---there was a bit of role playing and you'll spend more time answer how you think they want the scenario addressed instead of being natural. It's more of an intimidation routine to see if you hold up. I thought I bombed mine, but I was offered a position.   Answer Question
    They will contact you via email with an offer. My offer was generous, fair value, and I accepted. Pay was not discussed during the interview process, but I did know the market value of the position I was applying for.

Train Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in April 2013.

Started with a reading comprehension test. Once you pass, depending on the locations you applied for, you will get an hiring session invite. Be warned, once you accept an invitation to a hiring session, if you have applied for any other location, it will automatically cancel and you will not be considered for 6 months... The interview process starts with a safety briefing. Then they give you the doom and gloom speech. After that, they give you an interview time. Depending on how many people is there, your interview could last from 10 to 30 minutes, more so around 15 to 20 minutes. They ask the EXACT same questions from the application.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. If you read the application over and over, you should be ok.   Answer Question

Finance Inter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific.

1st round was an on-campus interview that had been set up by career services. This round was pretty straight forward the recruiter asked Why UP? What do you know about UP? And other basic resume questions. Also asked Are you familiar with Pivot Tables, Excel, SQL, etc?
    2nd round was in person at their headquarters in Omaha. They take care of all of the expenses etc. You interview with the Audit & Finance department and its a mixture of 1:1 and panel. Everyone asks the same questions over and over. Nothing difficult just about resume, Why UP?, How do you feel about Omaha?

Name a time where you led
    Give an example of you analysis skills

None

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Interviewed on Campus, behavioral type questions very nice people. Glamorized the position as a sales position with rapid advancement. Really Focused on team-work, and cultural fit. If selected invited to come to HQ in Omaha. Put you up in a Hotel. (Room had Silverfish) Interview at HQ was a exhausting experience. Local talent pool evident as majority of people were from Nebraska, or Iowa. IF you have a GPA lower the 3.5 prepared to be looked down upon. Initial recruiters at Campus very hospitable in regards to tips for success. HQ interview very brutal, five people in the manner of 3.5 hour period. Employees put on happy faces for new recruits, noticed the gray hairs, balding employees. Get ready for Cubicles, headsets, and Blackberry Devices. Very diverse. Do hire african americans and minorities. Overall decent experience. Paid for my expenses, which was nice of them. For sure seemed as if they hired people with logistic backgrounds, or must be a Husker. Or Like I mentioned before stellar student. Overall I feel I did not get the job because of my lack luster GPA, and potential entrepreneurial background. Felt I would have rocked my cubicle if given an opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • IF you owned a watch company how would you go about running it. (Something like that)
      Why Union Pacific?

Answer Question

OMT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in April 2012.

It lis very long and daunting. Remember to dress professionally. They do like to hire minorities. Come prepared with questions and a resume.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I choose you over all other candidates?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Operational Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in November 2012.

You have a 1st round interview, then an analytical test. In a few weeks to a month or so you may be invited to omaha for the final round. There you will interview with 3-4 interviews all of which are status quo interviews except for their CMO who will grill you very hard so be prepared, but he is a very nice guy.

Interview Questions
    • It costs the company $60,000 to promote from within for this position but $100,000 to hire you. Why should I hire you for $40,000 more?   Answer Question

It was my first offer with no other company searches, too early.

Marketing and Sales Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Met with rep for on-campus interview. Heard back within a week. Was flown up to Omaha for a day to interview. Met with 5 executives.

Make sure to ask questions. Show that you have researched the companies

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Undergrad Interns make $3,500. Graduate interns are able to negotiate.