Union Pacific

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

2.8

IT Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Everything was very straight forward. They were at my college career fair, and they asked me to come for an on campus interview the next day. The interview was all behavioral and there were no technical questions. The people were very nice. A week later they contacted me to tell me to apply online. A few weeks after that I got my offer letter.

Railroad Conductor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

The whole process is easy and the interview is pretty basic. The best thing I can tell you if you apply for this company that they don't tell you is if you have a felony it has to be seven plus years since the day you were sentenced! I was an alternate for three months and finally got the job offer and my felony was 15 days away from becoming seven years old but there isn't even a review its an unconditional NO. Understand the company can do what they want but messed up they are not up front with the blanket ban for seven years. Would be good info on the site so I would have waited to apply and not wasted a 8 hour drive.

Interview Questions
    • Is there an accident that is unavoidable   View Answer
    NONE

Train Crew Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific in December 2014.

Applied online. Contacted via email to take a reading comprehension test a few days after applying. I was contacted a couple weeks later notifying that I had been invited to a hiring session. I had a choice of possible dates for which hiring session I wanted to attend (though, all sessions fell within the same week). The day after the hiring session I was notified by phone and email that I had been offered the position.

*Prior to attending the hiring session, I had applied for a handful of Train Crew positions in a variety of locations. I was also invited and declined invitation to a couple other hiring sessions previous to the one which I did attend. Don't feel as though if you decline an invitation to a hiring session you will not be considered to other positions. However, keep in mind UP doesn't have system wide seniority, instead they are broken into service units which you cannot transfer from one region to another, so only apply for positions in areas you are willing to work.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had a disagreement with a supervisor.   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw a coworker breaking the rules?   Answer Question

Not willing to commit to being on-call 24/7/365!

Senior Software Engineer Interview

It had two rounds and all of the technical. I have applied through a another company.

This is should be job for a senior people. You will waste most of the time in meetings and other stuffs. Your actual coding time is very less. If you want to learn new things this not the place.

Train Crewman Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in December 2014.

Applied online. Was notified to take a reading comprehension test online, and when it was completed it, received immediate notification I had passed. About two weeks later, was invited to a Hiring Session.

Arrived 45 minutes early, and wasn't the first one, and the girl from HR was already setting up. There were 18 guys there. Most, like me, wore a dress shirt and pants, and a tie.

Lots of information about the company, then the job. The Hiring Manager came and talked more about the job, unusual schedule, odd hours, etc. Everyone was then given a chance to go out and contact spouse, significant other, etc., regarding whether to go on with the process.

Interviews were scheduled which let you know how long your had before yours.

Mine lasted about 15 minutes and most of the questions were already mentioned on this website. Safety is the BIG thing!! Hence the question, "Who is responsible for safety?"

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in October 2012.

I met a recruiter at a campus job fair. From there I was invited to attend a presentation about the company and signed up for a one on one interview after the presentation and dinner. I did well in the interview and was quickly setup for an onsite interview. Three days before the onsite interview I received a call saying they were canceling the remaining onsite interviews. The recruiter never would give me a straight answer about what happened. Several other students had the same interaction.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in November 2010.

There is an initial automated screening after an online application, then the drug screening, skilled batt. test pertaining to position applied for, interview with possible candidates ( sometimes 20 to 30 scheduled for each hiring session), Then the decision and if chosen trust them if they say your one out of a hundred.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare for a professional interview and dress the same, remember to interview them as well.   Answer Question
    non-negotiable

Operations Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in November 2014.

Was flown out to Omaha, Nebraska to interview with multiple mangers in charge of different operations, such as cars and locomotives. The interviewing process varied with the person conducting the interview. For my first interview, I was not asked any questions regarding my resume. Instead I was simply asked if I had any questions regarding Union Pacific. Definitely threw me off as I was anticipating the typical dialog accompanying resume, experiences, etc. The second interview was much more structured, following a typical interview process of answering questions such as "Name an experience where you had organize a group.", etc. The process did not seem much like an interviewing position, instead it felt much more like a courting experience for both me and the employeers.

Risk Management Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

1. I applied online with one employee reference. It helps getting your foot in the door.
    2. I received a phone call to set up a phone interview.
    3. I did my homework and felt prepared.
    4. I was conferenced in 2 days later in a phone interview.
    5. They asked me about myself, if I was comfortable with the work, if I planned to work in management later on... etc. I felt really good about the interview and then....
    6. "By the way, this position is only going to be in Kansas City for a few months and then we will relocate you to where there's a need." So I ask them where they would move me and they said "We aren't sure yet." When I said that I couldn't do that permanently without knowing where. They responded with "Okay well this doesn’t sound like a good fit. Thank you for applying. Have a nice day. Bye."
    You're asking me to tell you that I'll move anywhere in the continental US and you aren't even sure where that is yet? Who would say yes to that?? I guess that's life on the railroad.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Applied though school and was chosen, went to interview, asked situational questions. After days of waiting for respond back, never heard back from them. When I later spoke with the college, they had no idea what UP had decided.