Union Pacific

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Getting the Interview

146 candidate interviews

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in September 2013.

Interview Details – Online application, followed by two interviews. First interview was at a hotel with a mix of current employees and new applicants. Two written tests and a personality assessment along with the first actual interview. Fairly standard interview questions,emphasis on safety and leadership, highlight these experiences if you have them. Whole process was about a half a day or so. Second interview was at the regional he, more intimate with a panel of six people or so, made up of the regional Vice President, HR director, and some other high up folks.

Interview Question – Nothing way outside the box, be prepared to answer situational questions about leadership and safety   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate, they have a cap, even if you are experienced, however, the money comes later.they send you an offer letter if they want you and you either accept or decline.

Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – applied online, got one interview but they chose someone else

Interview Question – How did you plan your college experience to become Transportation Manager ?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Roseville, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in March 2014.

Interview Details – Process:
- Apply at career fair with handing in a resume'
- Attend information night to solidify interest
- 1:1 interview with HR manager of local office (STAR method required, all "tell me about a time when...")
- Management test, 4 hours, easy
- 2nd interview (not had yet)
- projected offer

Interview Question – How did you gain approval from a team you were a part of?
What was your biggest mistake?
Define Leadership.
  Answer Question

Track Maintenance Manager Interview

Omaha, NE

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – Phone interview then in person with single HR rep. A month or two later flew into Omaha for a final interview with a few people. They were good about explaining the position and that it is not a fit for everyone. You have to sacrifice a lot of time. They said as you move up the ladder it gets harder, not easier.

Interview Question – Name a scenario where safety was an issue and what you did about it?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took another offer.

Mechanical Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – They used our online, university-based recruiting and set-up a first round interview.

Interview Question – I was uncomfortable filling out their psych evaluation tests before the first round interview. This took me out of the running.   Answer Question

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Diesel Locomotive Electrician
Little Rock, AR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in March 2014.

Interview Details – So far I have complied with the online application and then I was asked to take the skilled battery test and in less than a week I was invited to the interview/hiring process if I pass the skilled battery test

Locomotive Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very politically correct company, hiring process very competitive, includes written skills test and physical abilities test, if called for an interview they get real in depth about all your past experiences, goals,etc.. Explain in detail that you are expected to work 365 days a year 24/7 on call, no scheduled off days. But you really can't fathom this until you do it. These days if you try and take a day off they will harass you and intimidate you, investigate you, fire you. They could not care less about you or your family or your family life. As long as trains are moving they are happy. If you get this in your head you will be fine. Don't worry, You will make lots of money to pay alimony and child support to your family when they leave you!

Interview Question – Since you previously worked indoors, help us understand what makes you think you can work outdoors.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interview Details – I had three phone interviews, and one face to face interview. I also had to take the Berger Advance Programming Test. The process was pretty straight forward. One of the wierdest questions asked on the application is "Do you smoke tobacco?". If you smoke, forget UP. They are looking for non smokers.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. However, UP tries to corner you in a on a job. If you are looking for a job with a wide range of tasks to perform. UP is not the company for you. They are looking for very focus set of skills to fill their very focused position.

Berger Advance Programming Test (B-APT) is a joke. It was so easy a kid in elementary school can take it, and pass it.

The interview process was a waste of time. They already knew who they were going to hire before the in person interview, but they force me to go to Omaha anyways.

What a huge waste of time. If you are software person, DO NOT WORK FOR UP. You are better off working at a real tech company, not a wanna be tech company, which is what UP claims to be - A WANNA BE TECH.

One last thing, if you are not married, and have no kids, do not apply at UP. They want traditional family units. If you have a live in girl friend DO NOT APPLY AT UNION PACIFIC. This will automatically disqualify you from the hiring process. By the way during the interview process, they ask me if I was married, or have kids. Isn't this question illegal. Maybe some discrimination going on here?
  Answer Question

Director of Terminal Operations Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – Very lengthy with a panel over one day.

Interview Question – What do you bring to this company?   Answer Question

Associate Applications Developer Interview

Associate Applications Developer
Omaha, NE

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in September of 2013 and I was offered a phone interview in December of 2013. The questions were mostly behavior and personality questions. I was offered an in person interview in January of 2014. They flew me to Omaha, NE for the in person interview the day before and paid for the hotel. It was an all day thing. The panel interviews were not difficult at all; mostly behavior questions. I was nervous at first, but there is no need to be. The BAPT test is pretty simple as long as you understand how to program.

About two weeks later I received an offer. The offer was more than I expected, and I accepted.

You have to be patient because it is a long process.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation wasn't an option. The number they offered was very generous though.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Union Pacific

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!

Union Pacific Videos

Union Pacific – Why Work for Us?

As a railroad, we can get just about anything from point A to point B. (As North America's largest railroad, we can get it to point Z, too.) But what's truly special about Union Pacific is the way we get the job done… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Pacific interview questions and advice. All 146 interview reviews posted anonymously by Union Pacific employees and interview candidates.