Union Pacific Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Pay by your pocket for the first phase of Interview, HR round only, one 2 one interview, your status will automatically updated after 2 weeks for next phase of Interview.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Union Pacific (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a good interview process. The initial interview was conducted with an HR professional and then the second round was at another site with a panel. All of the applicants were sequestered in a holding area until interviewed. Once in the interview I spoke with a panel consisting of two individuals. One was a senior manager, one was an HR professional. Both were very pleasant. The questions weren't overly hard, typical interview stuff. I asked a few questions about work at Union Pacific, even though I knew all of the answers. I decided to then ask questions about their own personal careers. It was a good interview at least from my perspective.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict with a subordinate. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Why should we pick you to work for Union Pacific?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Drove to Portland, OR for first round interview after passing a screening test. This interview went very well. After a few weeks I was flown to Phoenix for a second round interview with a panel of 3. This interview was bad from the start. The lead interviewer was aloof, and to be blunt, kind of rude. He made a comment like, "Why would you want this job, it pays half of what you previously made." For me, I wanted the job because as a military retiree I liked the work and fit was more important than the money. He kept asking me for specific examples over and over on how I made process improvements. He came across as a real jerk. I knew after it was over I probably wasn't selected, and end the end I wasn't. The other two panel members were very professional. I had really good hopes for this company. highly disappointed.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific (Champaign, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Talked to them at career fair, and got invited to the first round of interviews about 2 weeks later. The interview was in person, and they asked behavioral type questions. The interviewer was very helpful. She told me exactly what i would be doing, and even gave me advice on how to deal with moving around during the training program.

Interview Questions

• Name one time that a groupmate/coworker did not cooperate and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Track Laborer (Welder) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific (Roseville, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

We met in the meeting room for a not-so-brief briefing, then had individual interviews. It was an easy process. We were offered free coffee and a nice breakfast, and afterwards had two person panel interviews. They seemed mostly concerned about safety. There were many questions regarding your skills as they relate to the position.

Interview Questions

• who's responsibility is safety   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Interview

Scheduled interview really quickly. First interview was behavior, afterwards they mentioned a test and another series of interviews. Never got a call back for their next step of the interview process.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Union Pacific (San Antonio, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and had an interview at my university a week later. The interview was great, and I was told I would be recommended to HQ for a second round. Overall a positive experience.

Train Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific (San Antonio, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

On campus interview then I apply at their website, then I was asked to take a test. After passed the test, I was scheduled a phone interview. The questions of interview is pretty easy, they focused on safety a lot more than I was expected. Overall, it was a good experience with Union Pacific.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever work at night shift?   1 Answer

Diesel Locomotive Mechanic Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific (Portland, OR) in February 2015.

Interview

Theoretical questions mostly with some questions related to job. Relaxed environment with one senior member and other observing members. Not many questions, but the questions asked required a lot of explaining which made the interview longer than I had hoped for. Formal and semi-formal attire was worn.

Interview Questions

• If there was a stack of 3 pancakes with butter and syrup on top, which pancake would you be?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Went to the UP booth at a college career fair, and one of the booth members scheduled me for a next-day on-campus interview after looking at my resume. The interview was totally behavioral. They were all standard behavioral questions: why do you want to work at UP, most successful/difficult team experience, etc. I do not think I did well, only ok, but at the same time I did not want the internship that bad (I had better (for me) ones in mind).