Union Pacific Interview Questions

2.8

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melrose Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melrose Park, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in May 2014.

Fill out application online, you don't need a resume since you are filling out the form online. Make sure you are very close on the dates and don't like about anything because the railroad police are going to verify everything. They try to scare you off and I almost wish I walked out, the reality of second shift with tuesdays and wednesdays as my "weekend" is hard to swallow. The whole process is difficult and stressful, then when you see your new coworkers you realize they would have hired literally anyone who would put up with these weird shifts and days off.

Interview Questions
    • They ask vague questions and let you answer them as you see fit, you will not get any feedback or emotion out of the hiring managers they will let you ramble on. Some questions were: Describe a typical day at your current job. Why should we hire you? why do you want this job? What would you do if you saw an employee violating a safety rule?   View Answer
    It's union job so a big labor union already negotiated a mediocre wage.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Applied through collage

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in April 2014.

I applied online in early March and before the month was out I received a call that said I was invited to a hiring session. My online status also changed.

In early April, I attended a hiring session with about six other candidates ranging from ages 24 to around 50 years old. The session started with an introduction by one of the two HR reps. She also assigned candidates to various positions in case of an emergency (Call 911, administer CPR, etc.). Next, the HR rep gave a brief overview of Union Pacific's history and coverage area. She also covered some of the demands Union Pacific will place its employees. This was more of a scare tactic used to test the dedication candidates.

After the opening, the HR rep went over the tests that were to be issued. These tests were comprised of an un-timed personality test with about 200 questions, another test that measured decision making—also not timed—and another times test that basically gave select information and candidates were asked to draw out an answer based of the info provided. It seemed more like a quick management decision test. This part consisted of graphs and charts. This was obviously the most challenging but it's pass or fail, not to tough. There was one more test that was timed, two minutes at most. The majority of candidates don't finish this test so don't worry.

Throughout the testing process, other that with the timed portions, candidates were called for interviews with the HR reps. The interview consisted of basic management questions like "Tell me about a time when...and how did you handle it?" This was conducted one-on-one and it took place in a small office.

After the interview concluded, it took about a week to get the pass or fail test results back. However, I was not offered a second interview at his point. My status changed online and said, "Congratulations, you passed the Union Pacific Operations Management Test." About another week after that I received and email that said I was granted another interview. This email said the interview would be conducted by a panel and it listed members who would be attending. This list was comprised of various levels of directors and superintends.

The second round included 28 candidates who drove or flew in (payed for by UP) to interview for seven slots. After everyone signed in the HR rep took the list and assigned interview times slots.

Although the email made it seem as if candidates would be sitting in a room in front of 10 panel members, the members were actually split up into three groups and conducted separate panel interviews, which made the process go faster. This interview covered some of the same questions as the first interview. However, there was more of an informal "Tell me about yourself and why you would be a good fit."

Because it seemed like the competition was pretty tough, I used this as an opportunity to let my personality shine. Taking a business-casual approach really lightened the mood and the interview went very smooth. The interview lasted about 45 minutes but because the panel members were so likable it seemed to fly by. It didn't even seem like a job interview at times.

Upon completion of the interview all candidates were released. The HR rep said it would take about a week to hear back from UP.

The interview was on a Tuesday and I believe the next Thursday I received a call from the HR rep who said the company was extending a job offer, continent upon passing background and medical. I accepted the offer and had to fill out a few online pre-employment forms. After I finished another email was sent and my online status changed. I was required to make a health screening appointment.

I'm still waiting on a waiver for visions from my optometrist, but other than that the screen has been approved. As far as background goes, I've been contacted via email by an investigator because he wanted a copy of my DD214. It's a few week into the background process and there has been no new information requested but my status won't change until the vision waiver is completed. All-and-all it's been a long process but should be well worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here and why should UP hire you?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, simply and offer with salary.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Union Pacific in April 2014.

Interviewed in April 2014. Only one HR person from UP was present. She spoke for around an hour about UP and saying the job was hard, hours were long, etc. Presented a training schedule (almost a year) with travel to various UP facilities during the training cycle. Test was a general "see if your brain is connected" exam. Lasted around 3-4 hours for testing. After the written test there was a one-on-one interview. Interview seemed almost too informal. There were only seven people testing so most of us were out of there by mid-day. The HR rep said they were testing for eight slots in their training class for the entire "West" region of UP. Around one week later, I received a text from the HR person letting me know I passed the test. However, I later discovered I was not selected for a second interview. I discovered this when logging into my UP jobs page. In retrospect, I probably would have turned down a second interview based on their described work hours. A 5-12 hour schedule working days or nights, lot's of travel involved. Probably not for the family-minded individual.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember the specifics of the questions, but the majority revolve around safety, how you address safety issues, etc.   Answer Question

Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

applied online, got one interview but they chose someone else

Interview Questions
    • How did you plan your college experience to become Transportation Manager ?   Answer Question

Track Maintenance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Phone interview then in person with single HR rep. A month or two later flew into Omaha for a final interview with a few people. They were good about explaining the position and that it is not a fit for everyone. You have to sacrifice a lot of time. They said as you move up the ladder it gets harder, not easier.

Interview Questions
    • Name a scenario where safety was an issue and what you did about it?   Answer Question

Took another offer.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in March 2014.

Process:
    - Apply at career fair with handing in a resume'
    - Attend information night to solidify interest
    - 1:1 interview with HR manager of local office (STAR method required, all "tell me about a time when...")
    - Management test, 4 hours, easy
    - 2nd interview (not had yet)
    - projected offer

Interview Questions
    • How did you gain approval from a team you were a part of?
      What was your biggest mistake?
      Define Leadership.
        Answer Question

Diesel Locomotive Electrician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in March 2014.

So far I have complied with the online application and then I was asked to take the skilled battery test and in less than a week I was invited to the interview/hiring process if I pass the skilled battery test

Mechanical Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

They used our online, university-based recruiting and set-up a first round interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was uncomfortable filling out their psych evaluation tests before the first round interview. This took me out of the running.   Answer Question

Director of Terminal Operations Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Very lengthy with a panel over one day.