Union Pacific Interview Questions & Reviews

161 interviews

2.8

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in July 2012.

There was a preliminary phone interview conducted due to the fact I lived out of state. I had to follow up on this interview to get feedback to which I was told that they were going to hire me. Then a week later I was told that they wanted to conduct a in-person working interview. They flew me out and it went very well. At the conclusion of the interview, I was told that they would be in contact with me. It took them over a month to finally get me an offer and an additional 2 months to finally start work.

Interview Questions
    • It was a technical question concerning radio frequency attenuation.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase was long and drawn out, they drug their feet getting back to me and presented the offer as non-negotiable.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2010.

Pretty basic STAR Questions, as this was entry level right out of college. You fly down interview with all three managers, and those that impress, interview with an upper level management employee. If that person likes you, you get an offer in a pretty timely fashion. Be prepared with relevant questions about the company.

Railroad Conductor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ months - interviewed at Union Pacific.

They will interview several people for 5-10 openings. You will take a reading test before you will be able to attend an interview. During the interview they will try to scare you away by telling how horrible it is to work for the railroad. It's not as bad as they put it. Just remember to preach safety.

Interview Questions
    • Who is responsible for your safety when you walked thru that door?   View Answer

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2010.

Met them at our college career fair. They were really welcoming and did their best to make the candidates feel wanted, however, they did provide false information. Initial interview was on campus, then we were selected for second round. This one is tedious as there will be at least 5 interviews with various individuals at the company.

Interview Questions
    • Process related questions...that change from time to time. They are looking for how quick you think on your feet   Answer Question
    No negotiations. I was offered one of the higher pays for this job.

OMT Training Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at Union Pacific in August 2013.

Met recruiter at job fair and told to apply online. Applied an was invited to 1st interview. Met with HR rep an took 4 tests. Told to wait for test results an see if invited for 2nd interview.

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in November 2010.

Having a family member or family friend who works at HDC already is one of the easiest ways to get hired. 2000 people apply each round so any criminal background and your done, be a non smoker or your out. Military background is a plus more so than college.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever worked shift work, holidays and been on call 24-7?   View Answer
    No negotiation, they believe there are thousands of other people to take your job so you need to be happy with what you get.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2012.

Applied on the website, did not hear back for a few months. Once I did get word back they wanted a phone interview. I had a phone interview with the person who would be my direct manager.

He invited me in for an in person interview. I arrived and was taken up with the manager to a conference room.

The interview was a panel of 5 - Manager, Director, and three employees of the department asking questions about myself and my basic skillset

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question had to do with the way that I would troubleshoot an assembly line if it was not flowing properly   Answer Question

Apprentice Train Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific.

The hiring process was pretty easy for me. I was interviewed once by an HR supervisor and was given an offer. I think it might be a little easier for people having to relocate as in my case. The other apprentice dispatchers I heard had to go through 2 or 3 panel interviews. The hiring process is also competitive.

Interview Questions
    • What prior experience do you have that would relate to this position?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. They explain to you the pay and raise schedule and you can take it or leave it. The reason for this is because the raises are automatic for the first 3 years and in the third year your at 76K. There is no relocation package.

Locomotive Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Laredo, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laredo, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2009.

Focus on you dedication to working safe and the safety of others. Let them know that you will work all the time and anywhere. No smokers the company does not hire smokers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me when you have corrected a supervisor that was not working safe.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, it is a union job

Network/Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2013.

Very technical intensive interview process. Manager was very specific with testing skills they required.

Interview Questions
    • What's is a VPN? Not it's definition but it's overall function   Answer Question