Union Pacific

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operation Manager Interview

Operation Manager

Interviewed at Union Pacific

Interview Details – I got an email saying that I was invited to the interviewing process. When you get to the interview site the interviewer gives a short presentation. Then take four test that take about four hours. two of the tests are personality profiles. The test were not that bad. As for the interview it was pretty basic. They ask you situational questions.

Interview Question – Over the past week when have you incorporated safety into your daily routine   Answer Question

Railroad Conductor Interview

Railroad Conductor

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – They love ex-military. No other job like it really so they see if you have previous experience working with large machinery and on a 24/7 schedule.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. If you show confidence and can prove a good work ethic you have a shot.   Answer Question

Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program Interview

Transportation Manager - Operations Management Training Program
Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in August 2013.

Interview Details – Recruitment begins with applying online. If accepted, a hiring session invitatiion will be posted on your application status followed by a phone call a few days prior to the hiring invitation. The hiring session includes a brief presentation about the company's mission and details of the job. The applicant then takes a series of written tests and the final step is an interview with the hiring individual.

Interview Question – none... interview included the basic leadership and management questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – An offer is not made until the test scores are completed and the applicant means the required scores

Railroad Conductor Interview

Railroad Conductor

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – Interview was with several candidates. Over 30 in one room. Plan to be there all day. Found out only hiring 3 positions. No call that night, but did get called the next day. After hired the class wasnt bad. Rather easy. Just plan on getting paid very little for 12-14 weeks.

Interview Question – Have you ever missed work for any reason.   Answer Question

Systems Engineering IT Intern Interview

Systems Engineering IT Intern
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in September 2012.

Interview Details – Interacted with recruiter at career fair (fairly little traffic at the interviewer's booth) and signed up for interview slot there.

Interview Question – What is an object and class?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation in terms of compensation; however, UP extended my reply time twice.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – One interview at school, invited to interview in Omaha, but declined.

Interview Question – Must take a required skills/knowledge test during interview   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Too much travel

Apprentice Train Dispatcher Interview

Apprentice Train Dispatcher

Interviewed at Union Pacific

Interview Details – I received UPs Hiring Session E-mail last night while at work, but was unable to access the link on my Mobile Device and was unable to access a PC until I returned home. Upon arriving home, I expeditiously attempted to sign up online for the session, but was unable. So, I immediately notified Director HR Customer Services of this leaving them a voicemail. This morning I contacted the other H.R. phone # listed on the E-mail for the Service Center. They happily offered to fix the problem, but noticed the seats were full. They advised me to contact Director HR Customer Services and explain what happened and if there was a way to get into the session OR if they would open another session. I left two voicemails: one on office and one on cell phones.
Within 24hrs the problem was rectified. Now awaiting the hiring session...

Interview Question – Clicking submit for the hiring session and getting no response   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Carmen Mechanical Department Interview

Carmen Mechanical Department
Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – First a written interview, then you somehow get what they call Carmen papers but this is just so other employees can't time slip you for pay...your job training is thrown in the pool to say the least and your job is always being threatened in some way...very stressful

Interview Question – Don't try to stand out..be willing to take the fall for other managers..in their words it's the railroad first then you then God..they practice this well   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They told you forget your passed life or having a life at all working for them

Very Difficult Interview

Train Crewman Interview

Train Crewman
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online - interviewed at Union Pacific in May 2013.

Interview Details – This company basically lied to us in a hiring session, telling us we would be paid $140-$150 a day to train, then go on the job training at almost $20 union scale an hour.. once we started we were told it was only $10 an hour and we could not join union for 6 months or a year. After almost a month, we still cant get direct answers from anyone, and even the HR people in Nebraska refuse to call the recruiter to ask what we were promies, which seems to point to them knowing of the practice and refusing to do anything about it.

Interview Question – They will not answer any of your questions, although they will have many for you. The class work every day would assign homework that would take an adiittional 4 or 5 hours to complete.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It is HORRIBLE, we still cant get an answer why we were lied to.

Train Crewman Interview

Train Crewman
San Antonio, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Union Pacific in March 2012.

Interview Details – Apply online. Jobs are not open long because once they have received a certain number of applicants the posting is removed. You will be contacted through email and it will give specifics. You will test for position and also be scheduled for physical. if you pass all that then you continue to monitor email for interview and overview and you will be contacted to inform you if you have been accepted for the position.

Interview Question – it is an overview of the job and what you can expect from the position. You may lose a few applicants during this process but training/ studying during training can be overwhelming. It is demanding but it will take a lot time away studying for exams during your 3 weeks of training. Complete the first 3 weeks and then it is the hands-on portion before returning back to classroom training.   Answer Question