Union Pacific

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.8

Mechanical Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific.

They used our online, university-based recruiting and set-up a first round interview.

Interview Questions
    • I was uncomfortable filling out their psych evaluation tests before the first round interview. This took me out of the running.   Answer Question

Director of Terminal Operations Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Very lengthy with a panel over one day.

Train Crew Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Had to wait all day for the interview and really didn't know what to expect. When I got in the room it was easy as pie. I'm normally nervous at interviews but with this company the interview is simple 10mins and I was out.

Interview Questions
    • What do you bring to the company?
      Who is responsible for safety?

View Answer
    No negotiations. it's all unionized

Senior Manager, IT Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Pannel interview process with the hiring manager

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in February 2014.

The interviewer was not very organized and the interview itself did not have a format like most companies have. I was essentially a description of the job and asked me if I had any questions. The interview was quick but it was mainly me asking questions to keep the interview going. After the interview was done, the interviewer was very hard to get in touch with and did not do what he said he was going to do. We scheduled meeting days and the interviewer would not show up and would not answer emails or phone calls. Overall a disappointing experience.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Union Pacific? Will you be willing to relocate?   Answer Question

Crew Dispatcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Took a while, but was an overall good experience

Interview Questions
    • are you ok with shift work and overnights   View Answer
    Union based position, so no negotiation

Operations Manager Interview

Be sure to tailor your resume appropriately. If your resume is adequate you will receive an invitation to attend a hiring event. Click on the invitation and select the date and location where you wish to attend. If you get through that interview you will be called for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare at least 5 unique facts about yourself and 5 unique facts about the company.   Answer Question

Associate Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in January 2014.

I applied in September of 2013 and I was offered a phone interview in December of 2013. The questions were mostly behavior and personality questions. I was offered an in person interview in January of 2014. They flew me to Omaha, NE for the in person interview the day before and paid for the hotel. It was an all day thing. The panel interviews were not difficult at all; mostly behavior questions. I was nervous at first, but there is no need to be. The BAPT test is pretty simple as long as you understand how to program.

About two weeks later I received an offer. The offer was more than I expected, and I accepted.

You have to be patient because it is a long process.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation wasn't an option. The number they offered was very generous though.

Railroad Conductor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific.

They will interview several people for 5-10 openings. You will take a reading test before you will be able to attend an interview. During the interview they will try to scare you away by telling how horrible it is to work for the railroad. It's not as bad as they put it. Just remember to preach safety.

Interview Questions
    • Who is responsible for your safety when you walked thru that door?   View Answer

Operations Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in December 2013.

First, applicants take an aptitude test and are given an initial interview. I was interviewed in Los Angeles. The test is timed and the interview is brief and efficient.

The second interview was conducted in Roseville, CA. I live in San Diego, and Union Pacific paid for my ticket to fly to Roseville as well as my hotel fare. The interview consisted of a panel of 5 interviewers. The group was very professional and asked direct questions that seemed relevant to the position. I really like this company, felt the interview went well and like the people who interviewed me, but I was eliminated from consideration at this interview stage. I'm not sure why, but it was a good experience and Union Pacific strikes me as a very professional company.