Union Pacific

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online in early March and before the month was out I received a call that said I was invited to a hiring session. My online status also changed.

In early April, I attended a hiring session with about six other candidates ranging from ages 24 to around 50 years old. The session started with an introduction by one of the two HR reps. She also assigned candidates to various positions in case of an emergency (Call 911, administer CPR, etc.). Next, the HR rep gave a brief overview of Union Pacific's history and coverage area. She also covered some of the demands Union Pacific will place its employees. This was more of a scare tactic used to test the dedication candidates.

After the opening, the HR rep went over the tests that were to be issued. These tests were comprised of an un-timed personality test with about 200 questions, another test that measured decision making—also not timed—and another times test that basically gave select information and candidates were asked to draw out an answer based of the info provided. It seemed more like a quick management decision test. This part consisted of graphs and charts. This was obviously the most challenging but it's pass or fail, not to tough. There was one more test that was timed, two minutes at most. The majority of candidates don't finish this test so don't worry.

Throughout the testing process, other that with the timed portions, candidates were called for interviews with the HR reps. The interview consisted of basic management questions like "Tell me about a time when...and how did you handle it?" This was conducted one-on-one and it took place in a small office.

After the interview concluded, it took about a week to get the pass or fail test results back. However, I was not offered a second interview at his point. My status changed online and said, "Congratulations, you passed the Union Pacific Operations Management Test." About another week after that I received and email that said I was granted another interview. This email said the interview would be conducted by a panel and it listed members who would be attending. This list was comprised of various levels of directors and superintends.

The second round included 28 candidates who drove or flew in (payed for by UP) to interview for seven slots. After everyone signed in the HR rep took the list and assigned interview times slots.

Although the email made it seem as if candidates would be sitting in a room in front of 10 panel members, the members were actually split up into three groups and conducted separate panel interviews, which made the process go faster. This interview covered some of the same questions as the first interview. However, there was more of an informal "Tell me about yourself and why you would be a good fit."

Because it seemed like the competition was pretty tough, I used this as an opportunity to let my personality shine. Taking a business-casual approach really lightened the mood and the interview went very smooth. The interview lasted about 45 minutes but because the panel members were so likable it seemed to fly by. It didn't even seem like a job interview at times.

Upon completion of the interview all candidates were released. The HR rep said it would take about a week to hear back from UP.

The interview was on a Tuesday and I believe the next Thursday I received a call from the HR rep who said the company was extending a job offer, continent upon passing background and medical. I accepted the offer and had to fill out a few online pre-employment forms. After I finished another email was sent and my online status changed. I was required to make a health screening appointment.

I'm still waiting on a waiver for visions from my optometrist, but other than that the screen has been approved. As far as background goes, I've been contacted via email by an investigator because he wanted a copy of my DD214. It's a few week into the background process and there has been no new information requested but my status won't change until the vision waiver is completed. All-and-all it's been a long process but should be well worth it.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here and why should UP hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, simply and offer with salary.

Operations Management Trainee

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interviewed in April 2014. Only one HR person from UP was present. She spoke for around an hour about UP and saying the job was hard, hours were long, etc. Presented a training schedule (almost a year) with travel to various UP facilities during the training cycle. Test was a general "see if your brain is connected" exam. Lasted around 3-4 hours for testing. After the written test there was a one-on-one interview. Interview seemed almost too informal. There were only seven people testing so most of us were out of there by mid-day. The HR rep said they were testing for eight slots in their training class for the entire "West" region of UP. Around one week later, I received a text from the HR person letting me know I passed the test. However, I later discovered I was not selected for a second interview. I discovered this when logging into my UP jobs page. In retrospect, I probably would have turned down a second interview based on their described work hours. A 5-12 hour schedule working days or nights, lot's of travel involved. Probably not for the family-minded individual.

Interview Question – I can't remember the specifics of the questions, but the majority revolve around safety, how you address safety issues, etc.   Answer Question

Omaha, NE

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2009.

Interview Details – Interview process is somewhat extended. Employees are first sourced through a recruiting session or apply online. If selected for the next round, candidates are brought in and given a series of tests--Operations Management Battery Test--which is essentially some technical/math/reading comprehension key indicators. A personality test is also given to see if you are the right fit for the position. Afterwards you are interviewed one-on-one to screen out any other candidates. Folllowing, you will be contacted and requested to interview will some "higher ups" --from there the interview process is highly varied, but focuses on your intentions, hypotheticals, and background.

Interview Question – The hypotheticals bother me---there was a bit of role playing and you'll spend more time answer how you think they want the scenario addressed instead of being natural. It's more of an intimidation routine to see if you hold up. I thought I bombed mine, but I was offered a position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will contact you via email with an offer. My offer was generous, fair value, and I accepted. Pay was not discussed during the interview process, but I did know the market value of the position I was applying for.

Operational Management Trainee Interview

Operational Management Trainee
Omaha, NE

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in November 2012.

Interview Details – You have a 1st round interview, then an analytical test. In a few weeks to a month or so you may be invited to omaha for the final round. There you will interview with 3-4 interviews all of which are status quo interviews except for their CMO who will grill you very hard so be prepared, but he is a very nice guy.

Interview Question – It costs the company $60,000 to promote from within for this position but $100,000 to hire you. Why should I hire you for $40,000 more?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was my first offer with no other company searches, too early.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Union Pacific

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!

Union Pacific Videos

Union Pacific – Why Work for Us?

As a railroad, we can get just about anything from point A to point B. (As North America's largest railroad, we can get it to point Z, too.) But what's truly special about Union Pacific is the way we get the job done… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Pacific Operational Management Trainee interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Union Pacific employees and interview candidates.