Union Pacific Operational Management Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Roseville, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Great process said interviewed well. Lacked experience. They flew me to Roseville, CA. Not upset I didn't get the job would loved to work for such a dynamic company. Coming out of college need to obtain more experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Application

I interviewed at Union Pacific in May 2015.

Interview

After a phone interview I was invited out to their headquarters for four one-on-one interviews. One interviewee was retiring so I spoke with him and his future replacement, two interviews were condensed into the same interview, and the last person never bothered to show up. I sat for over an hour waiting for my final interview before someone stopped in and asked if they had forgotten about me. I was informed by a secretary(?) that he was "in a meeting" and that she would just call a taxi for me to go back to the airport in time for my flight. The taxi never showed up (after waiting half an hour I called another taxi service... the first one did not arrive in the hour I stood waiting). EXTREMELY negative experience. Why bother paying to fly someone out if they clearly had no interest in speaking to me?

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Pay by your pocket for the first phase of Interview, HR round only, one 2 one interview, your status will automatically updated after 2 weeks for next phase of Interview.

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a good interview process. The initial interview was conducted with an HR professional and then the second round was at another site with a panel. All of the applicants were sequestered in a holding area until interviewed. Once in the interview I spoke with a panel consisting of two individuals. One was a senior manager, one was an HR professional. Both were very pleasant. The questions weren't overly hard, typical interview stuff. I asked a few questions about work at Union Pacific, even though I knew all of the answers. I decided to then ask questions about their own personal careers. It was a good interview at least from my perspective.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with conflict with a subordinate. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Why should we pick you to work for Union Pacific?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Drove to Portland, OR for first round interview after passing a screening test. This interview went very well. After a few weeks I was flown to Phoenix for a second round interview with a panel of 3. This interview was bad from the start. The lead interviewer was aloof, and to be blunt, kind of rude. He made a comment like, "Why would you want this job, it pays half of what you previously made." For me, I wanted the job because as a military retiree I liked the work and fit was more important than the money. He kept asking me for specific examples over and over on how I made process improvements. He came across as a real jerk. I knew after it was over I probably wasn't selected, and end the end I wasn't. The other two panel members were very professional. I had really good hopes for this company. highly disappointed.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Union Pacific (San Antonio, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and had an interview at my university a week later. The interview was great, and I was told I would be recommended to HQ for a second round. Overall a positive experience.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Union Pacific in November 2014.

Interview

Was flown out to Omaha, Nebraska to interview with multiple mangers in charge of different operations, such as cars and locomotives. The interviewing process varied with the person conducting the interview. For my first interview, I was not asked any questions regarding my resume. Instead I was simply asked if I had any questions regarding Union Pacific. Definitely threw me off as I was anticipating the typical dialog accompanying resume, experiences, etc. The second interview was much more structured, following a typical interview process of answering questions such as "Name an experience where you had organize a group.", etc. The process did not seem much like an interviewing position, instead it felt much more like a courting experience for both me and the employeers.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for me?   4 Answers

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2014.

Interview

Career fair at school led to an on-campus interview the following day. Upon completion of that, I was extended an invitation to apply online for a position. After the application, a behavioral test was given. I completed that successfully and an offer to interview in Omaha, Nebraska was was extended to me. In Omaha, I had three one-on-one interviews, each lasting about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had an idea that was met with opposition.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in October 2014.

Interview

Two series of interviews. One was on campus after the career fair, and the next was at the corporate site in Omaha. First interview I sat down with one of the recruiters who asked typical behavioral questions. The second was a series of 3 interviews with various people from corporate who pertained to the operations management side of the job.

Interview Questions

• A situation where you saw something that had been done improperly or unsafe, and how you handled the situation.   1 Answer

Operations Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Applied for the position in July and was subsequently scheduled to take the OMT test online. You receive a pass/fail once you complete and submit the test, I passed by the way. A week or two later you receive a first round interview. They go over the job, pitfalls, and how hard its supposed to be as a scare tactic. I passed the first round interview and was scheduled for a second round 3 weeks later. There are two interviewers in the room but here is where it gets interesting, the interview started off fairly well until they inquired about my Bachelors and Graduate Degree. My Bachelor Degree is Pre-Law and my Grad School Degree is in Business Law. I was asked, how is your degrees relevant for the position? Hmm, we would be managers with employees, all aspects of business is governed by laws, from the labor laws to federal regulations blah blah blah. From that point on, I was antogonized for the my degrees and subsequent military service. I was continuously told I couldn't do the job and perhaps I should be doing some sort of labor law job. They were relaying how long the job is, you will be working 12-15 hour days sometimes for weeks at a time and how they have an attrition issue with their managers. I said no problem, I have deployed to a war zone in the most inhospitable places working for that same length of time and longer and managed people at multiple levels. However, I'am also I'm thinking to myself, you know the problem is overworked managers who can't plan or schedule events in their lives. How about double stacking the managers so they can have set schedules with days off instead of working them to the brink of burning out. You are a multi-billion dollar company and you know what the problem is but refuse to fix it. I digress, totally unprofessional interview, I expected more professionalism and I didn't receive that.