Union Pacific Operational Management Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations Management Trainee Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Applied for the position in July and was subsequently scheduled to take the OMT test online. You receive a pass/fail once you complete and submit the test, I passed by the way. A week or two later you receive a first round interview. They go over the job, pitfalls, and how hard its supposed to be as a scare tactic. I passed the first round interview and was scheduled for a second round 3 weeks later. There are two interviewers in the room but here is where it gets interesting, the interview started off fairly well until they inquired about my Bachelors and Graduate Degree. My Bachelor Degree is Pre-Law and my Grad School Degree is in Business Law. I was asked, how is your degrees relevant for the position? Hmm, we would be managers with employees, all aspects of business is governed by laws, from the labor laws to federal regulations blah blah blah. From that point on, I was antogonized for the my degrees and subsequent military service. I was continuously told I couldn't do the job and perhaps I should be doing some sort of labor law job. They were relaying how long the job is, you will be working 12-15 hour days sometimes for weeks at a time and how they have an attrition issue with their managers. I said no problem, I have deployed to a war zone in the most inhospitable places working for that same length of time and longer and managed people at multiple levels. However, I'am also I'm thinking to myself, you know the problem is overworked managers who can't plan or schedule events in their lives. How about double stacking the managers so they can have set schedules with days off instead of working them to the brink of burning out. You are a multi-billion dollar company and you know what the problem is but refuse to fix it. I digress, totally unprofessional interview, I expected more professionalism and I didn't receive that.

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in April 2014.

I applied online in early March and before the month was out I received a call that said I was invited to a hiring session. My online status also changed.

In early April, I attended a hiring session with about six other candidates ranging from ages 24 to around 50 years old. The session started with an introduction by one of the two HR reps. She also assigned candidates to various positions in case of an emergency (Call 911, administer CPR, etc.). Next, the HR rep gave a brief overview of Union Pacific's history and coverage area. She also covered some of the demands Union Pacific will place its employees. This was more of a scare tactic used to test the dedication candidates.

After the opening, the HR rep went over the tests that were to be issued. These tests were comprised of an un-timed personality test with about 200 questions, another test that measured decision making—also not timed—and another times test that basically gave select information and candidates were asked to draw out an answer based of the info provided. It seemed more like a quick management decision test. This part consisted of graphs and charts. This was obviously the most challenging but it's pass or fail, not to tough. There was one more test that was timed, two minutes at most. The majority of candidates don't finish this test so don't worry.

Throughout the testing process, other that with the timed portions, candidates were called for interviews with the HR reps. The interview consisted of basic management questions like "Tell me about a time when...and how did you handle it?" This was conducted one-on-one and it took place in a small office.

After the interview concluded, it took about a week to get the pass or fail test results back. However, I was not offered a second interview at his point. My status changed online and said, "Congratulations, you passed the Union Pacific Operations Management Test." About another week after that I received and email that said I was granted another interview. This email said the interview would be conducted by a panel and it listed members who would be attending. This list was comprised of various levels of directors and superintends.

The second round included 28 candidates who drove or flew in (payed for by UP) to interview for seven slots. After everyone signed in the HR rep took the list and assigned interview times slots.

Although the email made it seem as if candidates would be sitting in a room in front of 10 panel members, the members were actually split up into three groups and conducted separate panel interviews, which made the process go faster. This interview covered some of the same questions as the first interview. However, there was more of an informal "Tell me about yourself and why you would be a good fit."

Because it seemed like the competition was pretty tough, I used this as an opportunity to let my personality shine. Taking a business-casual approach really lightened the mood and the interview went very smooth. The interview lasted about 45 minutes but because the panel members were so likable it seemed to fly by. It didn't even seem like a job interview at times.

Upon completion of the interview all candidates were released. The HR rep said it would take about a week to hear back from UP.

The interview was on a Tuesday and I believe the next Thursday I received a call from the HR rep who said the company was extending a job offer, continent upon passing background and medical. I accepted the offer and had to fill out a few online pre-employment forms. After I finished another email was sent and my online status changed. I was required to make a health screening appointment.

I'm still waiting on a waiver for visions from my optometrist, but other than that the screen has been approved. As far as background goes, I've been contacted via email by an investigator because he wanted a copy of my DD214. It's a few week into the background process and there has been no new information requested but my status won't change until the vision waiver is completed. All-and-all it's been a long process but should be well worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here and why should UP hire you?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, simply and offer with salary.

Operations Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Union Pacific in April 2014.

Interviewed in April 2014. Only one HR person from UP was present. She spoke for around an hour about UP and saying the job was hard, hours were long, etc. Presented a training schedule (almost a year) with travel to various UP facilities during the training cycle. Test was a general "see if your brain is connected" exam. Lasted around 3-4 hours for testing. After the written test there was a one-on-one interview. Interview seemed almost too informal. There were only seven people testing so most of us were out of there by mid-day. The HR rep said they were testing for eight slots in their training class for the entire "West" region of UP. Around one week later, I received a text from the HR person letting me know I passed the test. However, I later discovered I was not selected for a second interview. I discovered this when logging into my UP jobs page. In retrospect, I probably would have turned down a second interview based on their described work hours. A 5-12 hour schedule working days or nights, lot's of travel involved. Probably not for the family-minded individual.

Interview Questions
    • I can't remember the specifics of the questions, but the majority revolve around safety, how you address safety issues, etc.   Answer Question

Operations Management Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in December 2013.

First, applicants take an aptitude test and are given an initial interview. I was interviewed in Los Angeles. The test is timed and the interview is brief and efficient.

The second interview was conducted in Roseville, CA. I live in San Diego, and Union Pacific paid for my ticket to fly to Roseville as well as my hotel fare. The interview consisted of a panel of 5 interviewers. The group was very professional and asked direct questions that seemed relevant to the position. I really like this company, felt the interview went well and like the people who interviewed me, but I was eliminated from consideration at this interview stage. I'm not sure why, but it was a good experience and Union Pacific strikes me as a very professional company.

Operational Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in November 2012.

You have a 1st round interview, then an analytical test. In a few weeks to a month or so you may be invited to omaha for the final round. There you will interview with 3-4 interviews all of which are status quo interviews except for their CMO who will grill you very hard so be prepared, but he is a very nice guy.

Interview Questions
    • It costs the company $60,000 to promote from within for this position but $100,000 to hire you. Why should I hire you for $40,000 more?   Answer Question

It was my first offer with no other company searches, too early.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in February 2009.

Interview process is somewhat extended. Employees are first sourced through a recruiting session or apply online. If selected for the next round, candidates are brought in and given a series of tests--Operations Management Battery Test--which is essentially some technical/math/reading comprehension key indicators. A personality test is also given to see if you are the right fit for the position. Afterwards you are interviewed one-on-one to screen out any other candidates. Folllowing, you will be contacted and requested to interview will some "higher ups" --from there the interview process is highly varied, but focuses on your intentions, hypotheticals, and background.

Interview Questions
    • The hypotheticals bother me---there was a bit of role playing and you'll spend more time answer how you think they want the scenario addressed instead of being natural. It's more of an intimidation routine to see if you hold up. I thought I bombed mine, but I was offered a position.   Answer Question
    They will contact you via email with an offer. My offer was generous, fair value, and I accepted. Pay was not discussed during the interview process, but I did know the market value of the position I was applying for.