Union Pacific

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interviewer was not very organized and the interview itself did not have a format like most companies have. I was essentially a description of the job and asked me if I had any questions. The interview was quick but it was mainly me asking questions to keep the interview going. After the interview was done, the interviewer was very hard to get in touch with and did not do what he said he was going to do. We scheduled meeting days and the interviewer would not show up and would not answer emails or phone calls. Overall a disappointing experience.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Union Pacific? Will you be willing to relocate?   Answer Question

Operations Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in September 2013.

Interview Details – Online application, followed by two interviews. First interview was at a hotel with a mix of current employees and new applicants. Two written tests and a personality assessment along with the first actual interview. Fairly standard interview questions,emphasis on safety and leadership, highlight these experiences if you have them. Whole process was about a half a day or so. Second interview was at the regional he, more intimate with a panel of six people or so, made up of the regional Vice President, HR director, and some other high up folks.

Interview Question – Nothing way outside the box, be prepared to answer situational questions about leadership and safety   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate, they have a cap, even if you are experienced, however, the money comes later.they send you an offer letter if they want you and you either accept or decline.

Roseville, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in March 2014.

Interview Details – Process:
- Apply at career fair with handing in a resume'
- Attend information night to solidify interest
- 1:1 interview with HR manager of local office (STAR method required, all "tell me about a time when...")
- Management test, 4 hours, easy
- 2nd interview (not had yet)
- projected offer

Interview Question – How did you gain approval from a team you were a part of?
What was your biggest mistake?
Define Leadership.
  Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at Union Pacific

Interview Details – Be sure to tailor your resume appropriately. If your resume is adequate you will receive an invitation to attend a hiring event. Click on the invitation and select the date and location where you wish to attend. If you get through that interview you will be called for a second interview.

Interview Question – Prepare at least 5 unique facts about yourself and 5 unique facts about the company.   Answer Question

Operation Manager Interview

Operation Manager

Interviewed at Union Pacific

Interview Details – I got an email saying that I was invited to the interviewing process. When you get to the interview site the interviewer gives a short presentation. Then take four test that take about four hours. two of the tests are personality profiles. The test were not that bad. As for the interview it was pretty basic. They ask you situational questions.

Interview Question – Over the past week when have you incorporated safety into your daily routine   Answer Question

Operations Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – One interview at school, invited to interview in Omaha, but declined.

Interview Question – Must take a required skills/knowledge test during interview   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Too much travel

Little Rock, AR

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied via website - received e-mail and follow-up robocall when scheduled for interview. Onsite interviewers were professional, friendly, and informative. I realized quickly that I had asked for too much money and been too inflexible on start dates (items which cannot be changed after application is submitted) Tests given on that date were fairly simple and interview was friendly, two interviewers, one asking questions and one taking notes.

Interview Question – Tell us about an experience you had which involved a safety issue   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was more like a conversation, the only weird thing was how they rate you right in front of you. Overall, the interviewer was friendly. Also, the questionnaire packets that you have to fill out take at least 4 hours.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in September 2011.

Interview Details – It all starts with information session on company culture, and what company does. After that you interview with a local recruitment manager, if selected you get invited to a company regional office to panel interview with regional officers where decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Describe a decision you made that was unpopular and how you handled implementing it.   Answer Question
  • Have you had to convince a team to work on a project they weren't thrilled about? How did you do it?   Answer Question

Operations Manager

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was straight forward, they asked you where you would want to work like what specific region in the US. They ask about your interest in working for Union Pacific and if you're willing to spend a lot of time working. I thought I had nailed the interview because they call me back to do a series of test that included a personality test, management test and verbal reasoning test. I received an email later letting me know that I had passed the test, but a week later was sent another email saying "thank you for applying but at this time we are reviewing other applicants". I don't know what I did wrong but I guess the recruiter didn't like me very much.

Interview Question – If you're managing a group of people and they are working on something important and you get a call asking you to work on something else right away what would you do to accommodate this new task?   Answer Question

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!