Union Pacific Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Interview

Scheduled interview really quickly. First interview was behavior, afterwards they mentioned a test and another series of interviews. Never got a call back for their next step of the interview process.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

I had 2 interviews, one by phone and one on-site. Phone interview was almost purely behavioral. On-site interview started with some easy questions like "What is a garbage collector?" "Describe how you can still have memory leaks with a garbage collector." etc. It got a little harder, some data structures stuff, but it was not super hard if you studied the basics of data structures/sorting algorithms. They contacted me by email with an offer, I asked for an extension and they gave it to me.

Interview Questions

• Sorting singly linked lists, creating min/max heaps from sorted arrays, etc. At this company I honestly think the behavioral part may have been more important.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I felt the offer was good and didn't really try to negotiate much, I got the signing bonus raised a little though.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in September 2014.

Interview

I first spoke to UP at my college's College of Computing specific career fair. They were the only out-of-state company I approached, and I did so only because I knew a handful of people that had interned there the previous summer who spoke very highly of their experiences.

I spoke to two different UP representatives at the career fair, and both were helpful and knowledgeable. When I asked about their tech stack and the type of projects they worked on they were able to respond with actual answers (because they weren't just recruiters). They invited me to sign up for an in person interview in a couple weeks. After speaking with them, I had a very good feeling about them and about UP.

The in-person interview was on campus and was scheduled to last about half an hour, though it did end up running a bit over. I interviewed with one of the representatives that I met at the career fair. He explained how the interview would go, talked a little bit about UP and the internship, and asked a handful of questions. It felt like an interview, but it also felt like a conversation. I had prepared for mostly conceptual OOP questions (based on Glassdoor comments and the experiences of the people I knew), but I wasn't really asked any technical questions at all. Only behavioral questions, though I did talk a good bit about some projects I had worked on and the tools and technologies that I had used (in response to some of his questions).

At the end of the interview he explained exactly how things would proceed from that point: he would continue conducting interviews that day and the next. After that, he would forward his recommendations to HR, and stated that I should hear something in 2 to 3 weeks (whether I received and offer or not).

It was about a week and half after that when I received an e-mail from HR asking me to fill out an online application for the position (or to notify them if I was no longer interested) and about four or five days (three business days) later that I received an offer via e-mail.

Interview Questions

• I was only asked behavioral questions:

Do you smoke/use tobacco products?
      Describe what your ideal internship would be like.
      How have your classes helped prepare you for a position in software development?
      What is something you could improve about yourself/something you struggle with? (I don't remember the exact wording.)

Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't attempt to negotiate. It was an internship, and the offer and perks were already pretty solid, and it was in line with the research I had conducted.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview

Applied on their website and also on my college department trough career services. Received and invitation for an On-campus interview. The lady that interviewed me was pretty nice and helpful. Ask behavioral and some basic programming to test your abilities. Received follow up interview but declined.

Interview Questions

• There was no difficult questions. Whats the difference between a class and an object?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Union Pacific (Omaha, NE) in March 2008.

Interview

they have multiple rounds of interviews. Usually a panel interview.
    first 5 minutes is a ice breaker.
    then they get into your resume
    then they ask questions like,: where do you see yourself in 5 years
    how did you handle conflict, etc

Interview Questions

• describe a conflict with your boss, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Union Pacific in September 2010.

Interview

Basic 1:1 behavioral. No technical questions.

Interview Questions

They didn't ask any technical questions and I want to work somewhere that makes people in technical roles answer technical questions.