Union Pacific Train Crew Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.3

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Train Crew Interview

Safety checklist first, then a short company video before an information session. 1 HR manager and an Engineer -> Manager for UP attended. Make sure you know the job - the lifestyle of Train Crew - before you go. Dress professionally and ready for an interview, but also look like you're ready to work on the line. You'll be dismissed to a waiting area and then they'll call you back for your individual interviews (by last name... be prepared to wait). Safety, Safety, SAFETY. Experience really doesn't matter, safety is above all. Can you be safe? Good. Do you like being safe? Good.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about heavy equipment you've used in the past.   Answer Question

Lifestyle

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Train Crew Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in September 2014.

Applied online a day or two later was sent an email telling me to log back on to the site for a test which had reading and some other easy stuff on it a few days after the test I was sent an invitation though the company site with multiple days to select from for a hiring session. The day of the hiring session has arrived start time is 730am be there like 20 mins early I seen them turn people away being 5 seconds late. First part of the day is videos about the company and job position then they tell you the unpleasant part of the job ie working holidays until you get over 15 years in no vacation time until 120 days of full work not training living out of a hotel every other day no set schedule you will be on call. a lot of people left during the break I stayed along with 20 other people interview was easy make sure you mention how safe of a worker you are when they ask why should we hire you.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a time when you had a disagreement with a supervisor   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in August 2014.

I first applied online in May 2014 for a Train Crew position. I was filling out a lot of applications in the meantime, and nearly forgot about them. In the middle of August 2014, I was selected to do a reading assessment, passed that, then was selected to attend a Hiring Session close to where I lived. I had a friend of mine listed as a referral who worked for UP, and thought that might help me land a job.

The week between I was selected for the Hiring Session and the actual date, I took to researching and learning as much about the company as possible. I looked up information about what I would actually be doing, called my friend for information about the position, researched their interview questions, as well as general knowledge about the customers and competitors of Union Pacific so I could put the company in a proper perspective. I learned that they always do the same interview questions, so I practiced with my wife. I got myself a nice button-up with slacks and a tie, notebook and identification in hand.

The Hiring Session took place at 0900 at the Ford Building in SLC. I arrived 20 Minutes early to make sure I made it, but saw that I was one of the last ones in the room. The moment you arrive, they start to notice what you do. I was prepared for this contingency and started to converse lightly with the other candidates. I even brought an extra pen for one of the candidates who didn't bring one. They started with a Safety Brief and an introduction.They then spoke a bit about the job and we watched a 20 minute video presentation about working at Union Pacific.

After the video, the HR specialist spoke at length about how much this job requires of you. She spoke to the effect that for the first 5 years, and likely the entirety of your career, you will have no life.Then, she went back to talking about the strain it would put on families to work this position, and had us take a break for 5 minutes to tell our wives what it would mean. I texted my wife, we already knew what it would require due to my prior research and talking to my friend. It was the type of gloom and doom speech I was anticipating, and made sure to react as if this were not a big deal for me. She went on to talk about Union Pacific expectations and goals. I was making sure to take notes of what she said, knowing that during the interview, she would ask questions about it. The Hiring Session is said to go from 9-5 in the email, but her speech, videos, and extra paper handouts lasted only until 11:45. From then, it was the interview session, each interview taking approx 30 minutes.

Waiting for the interview was fairly boring, so I went and got some lunch and came back and waited another hour or so until it was my turn. The Interview threw no curve balls, I had anticipated each question. The only difficult part of the interview was when they asked me how I react to a difference of opinion. Every other interview question had brought nods and smiles and had gone as planned. They asked me ,"When you are doing your job and you don't agree with the course of action, how do you respond?" I responded by saying I was a generally agreeable person who doesn't get worked up over a difference of opinion, and I usually do as I am told. They then probed me for more information and asked me to describe a time I had a conflict with a coworker. I thought a bit, and told them about a time when an old supervisor told me to do something against regulation, and I handled it by quoting regulation and going over his head to the GM. Yeah..... not great......This was not received as I had planned. Where other answers had brought smiles, this one brought nothing. Just a look of contempt. They saw me as a tattle tale. Never mind the whole business they talk about at the beginning where "Regulations save lives?" We chatted a minute and then the interview was done. I made sure to push my chair back in, shook hands, and that's it.

After leaving, I realized I could have answered that one with a little more tact. They said they would get back to you within the next business day with a job offer if you were selected, and I received my rejection after 2 days.

Interview Questions
    • Describe to me a time where you had a disagreement with a coworker.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Villa Grove, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Villa Grove, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in July 2014.

Applied online. A few days later I was emailed to take a reading comprehension test. About 2 days later, I received a call to attend an interview session that would take place in 3 weeks.
    There were 60 candidates for 12 positions,
    We were told if we didn't get hired during this round, to apply again. Here is what I don't understand.
    I have 12 years experience as a conductor and locomotive engineer with CSX.
    Never in my career have I had any disciplinary or safety violations, but I was not offered a job. The interview went really well ( in my opinion ).
    Typical questions of: Have you worked outside?
    Have you been on call?
    Have you worked around large machinery?
    Who is responsible for your safety?
    Have you ever had a safety violation at work?
    They asked me why I wanted to work for UP and not CSX, and I told them it was the money. CSX and NS are the lowest paid Class one railroads in the U.S. A conductor on the UP with 5 years seniority, will make more than an engineer on CSX with 30 years seniority.
    So, I thought maybe everyone in the interview had prior railroad experience. I just applied for another train crew position in Salem, IL (same seniority hub as previous application, ie; same HR person hiring) and my application went straight to no longer being considered.

The only reason I can think of for not being hired was because I'm over 50 years old. I know it's illegal to discriminate due to age, but how would you prove it? I would be curious how many new hires are over 50 years old. Oh well, their loss. They'll have 50% of the new hires quit after they find out what the job is like or the first time they get furloughed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Union Pacific in June 2014.

Hiring Manager and HR person run 2-3 hour information session. Take notes they will ask you follow up questions. Be sure to dress professionally(slacks, button up long sleeved shirt and tie. Bring two forms of ID and pen and paper. Print the application from the website you submitted.

You get a 10 minute break during the doom and gloom speech to call your family. Interviews are scheduled throughout the day. if you're luck you get to go first. interview lasts 10-15 minutes tops.

4 week training pay is $400 a week. After that you're more like 42k. After you pass conductors training you make more like 52k a year. Overtime is expected. They do really lay it on that you can and probably will be forced to work a different location than you signed up for until you get seniority. I applied for St. Paul and they said we'll probably get duluth, eau claire or marshfield. basically when you're new they can give you the poop end of every stick. You're good after 5 years, seniority, set schedule, vested in pension. They will pay you a lot of money for the crap you have to put up with. If you don't have a degree be so grateful there are jobs like this out there for you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for UP? Have you worked shift work? Have you worked outside? Are you willing to relocate? Is your family on board with your decision to make this sacrifice?   View Answer
    No Negotiation. I haven't been Denied or Accepted yet. Should hear back today or tomorrow.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Union Pacific in June 2014.

Application process went quite quickly. I applied online. I think the next day I took the reading comprehension test. About a week later, I got an email inviting me to attend an interview session that was scheduled about 2-3 weeks away.

I attended the interview session and had my interview. The HR person said that we would know by the end of the night if we were offered the job or not. I thought the interview went very well. Answered the questions correctly. It was a very nice, calm atmosphere that even included some light humor. I really don't understand why I didn't get the job quite honestly, but I do understand that everything happens for a reason.

I will say that they need some work on their online site. I was confused as to whether I got an offer or not because my status online didn't change, but my application did not go to "No longer considered" either.

Train Crew Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific.

Had to wait all day for the interview and really didn't know what to expect. When I got in the room it was easy as pie. I'm normally nervous at interviews but with this company the interview is simple 10mins and I was out.

Interview Questions
    • What do you bring to the company?
      Who is responsible for safety?
        View Answer
    No negotiations. it's all unionized

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in April 2012.

Fill out application online, go for a reading test battery, then go for a hiring session, wait anywhere from a couple of hours to months to find out if you got hired (as well as check your status on the company website)

Interview Questions
    • If you do not live in Minnesota be prepared for cold winters like single digits to double digits below zero   Answer Question
    There is no negation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Charles, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Charles, LA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in January 2012.

Applied online and received an invite the following day to take a reading test. The test was administered by a 3rd party and was basic reading comprehension. A few days later my online status changed to "qualified on test" and a week or so after that I was invited to attend a hiring session the following month in Lake Charles,La .

The hiring session was held in a hotel conference room by 1 HR's and 1 manager. They spoke about their experience working for UP, some of the less desirable aspects of the job. They then answered questions from the group and assigned times for our interviews .They started the interview off by asking me to tell them a little about myself. They were all engaged and easy to talk to. They asked probably 10-15 basic personality questions and 5-10 questions about handling the work environment. A weeks days after the interview I received a call and an email notification of a conditional offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Union Pacific in December 2011.

Applied online and received an invite the following day to take a reading test. The test was administered by a 3rd party and was basic reading comprehension. I'm convinced a 10 year old could easily pass this test. A few days later my online status changed to "qualified on test" and a week or so after that I was invited to attend a hiring session the following month.

The hiring session was held in a hotel conference room by 2 HR's and 2 managers. They spoke about their experience working for UP, some of the less desirable aspects of the job and then played a short video. They then answered questions from the group (about 20 of us) and assigned times for our interviews. My name was called right on time (the interviews are very structured) and I sat across the table from the 2 HR's and 1 manager. They started the interview off by asking me to tell them a little about myself. They were all engaged and easy to talk to. They asked probably 10-15 basic personality questions and 5-10 questions about handling the work environment. A few days after the interview I received a call and an email notification of a conditional offer.

As part of the conditional offer, I was required to fill out pre employment forms within 24 hours of receiving it. It took about an hour and a half to complete them. I was informed that the in depth background check would take up to 3 weeks to complete. Meanwhile, I had to schedule a medical evaluation and a physical abilities test within 5 days of accepting the offer. The PAT consisted of pulling on a machine that didn't give while they measured my heart rate during the work and rest periods. They also measured my grip strength and my back flexibility before and after the test. The medical exam was a 12 page questionaire, a simple eye chart/color blind test, hearing test, lung capacity test, urine drug test and an ear examination by the doctor. If everything checked out my status on the website was supposed to change to "released to start"

5 weeks later it did. With no call or email notice (so check that website daily)! I should also mention that my conditional offer had my training schedule and my released to start notification was given 3 weeks prior to my start date.

Interview Questions
    Nothing. Everything is based on union collective bargaining.