Union Pacific

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Train Crew

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – Had to wait all day for the interview and really didn't know what to expect. When I got in the room it was easy as pie. I'm normally nervous at interviews but with this company the interview is simple 10mins and I was out.

Interview Question – What do you bring to the company?
Who is responsible for safety?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. it's all unionized

South Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in April 2012.

Interview Details – Fill out application online, go for a reading test battery, then go for a hiring session, wait anywhere from a couple of hours to months to find out if you got hired (as well as check your status on the company website)

Interview Question – If you do not live in Minnesota be prepared for cold winters like single digits to double digits below zero   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negation

Lake Charles, LA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an invite the following day to take a reading test. The test was administered by a 3rd party and was basic reading comprehension. A few days later my online status changed to "qualified on test" and a week or so after that I was invited to attend a hiring session the following month in Lake Charles,La .

The hiring session was held in a hotel conference room by 1 HR's and 1 manager. They spoke about their experience working for UP, some of the less desirable aspects of the job. They then answered questions from the group and assigned times for our interviews .They started the interview off by asking me to tell them a little about myself. They were all engaged and easy to talk to. They asked probably 10-15 basic personality questions and 5-10 questions about handling the work environment. A weeks days after the interview I received a call and an email notification of a conditional offer.

Interview Questions

North Little Rock, AR

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in December 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and received an invite the following day to take a reading test. The test was administered by a 3rd party and was basic reading comprehension. I'm convinced a 10 year old could easily pass this test. A few days later my online status changed to "qualified on test" and a week or so after that I was invited to attend a hiring session the following month.

The hiring session was held in a hotel conference room by 2 HR's and 2 managers. They spoke about their experience working for UP, some of the less desirable aspects of the job and then played a short video. They then answered questions from the group (about 20 of us) and assigned times for our interviews. My name was called right on time (the interviews are very structured) and I sat across the table from the 2 HR's and 1 manager. They started the interview off by asking me to tell them a little about myself. They were all engaged and easy to talk to. They asked probably 10-15 basic personality questions and 5-10 questions about handling the work environment. A few days after the interview I received a call and an email notification of a conditional offer.

As part of the conditional offer, I was required to fill out pre employment forms within 24 hours of receiving it. It took about an hour and a half to complete them. I was informed that the in depth background check would take up to 3 weeks to complete. Meanwhile, I had to schedule a medical evaluation and a physical abilities test within 5 days of accepting the offer. The PAT consisted of pulling on a machine that didn't give while they measured my heart rate during the work and rest periods. They also measured my grip strength and my back flexibility before and after the test. The medical exam was a 12 page questionaire, a simple eye chart/color blind test, hearing test, lung capacity test, urine drug test and an ear examination by the doctor. If everything checked out my status on the website was supposed to change to "released to start"

5 weeks later it did. With no call or email notice (so check that website daily)! I should also mention that my conditional offer had my training schedule and my released to start notification was given 3 weeks prior to my start date.

Interview Question – Why should the Union Pacific Railroad hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Nothing. Everything is based on union collective bargaining.

Train Crew Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Interview Details – Applied 7/26, took reading test 8/3, invited to hiring session 9/10. 17 of us interviewed that day (60 total) and they were looking for 7. Got a call on 10/16 that the class had been postponed and that they would call me in January.

Interview Question – Describe what Safety means to you.   Answer Question

Train Crew Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in May 2012.

Interview Details – First was the reading comprehension test: It tests your attention to detail. Next is a hiring session with interview. During the hiring session, you are given a presentation (with pros and cons) and then assigned an interview time. Depending on your time, you may be there all day. Once and if you are extended a job offer, you have to complete a new hire registration (where you find your training date and location) and schedule your medical assessment and physical abilities test. Both of those are scheduled by other private companies and you are assigned an appointment time by a robot on the phone. The medical will be close to home, but the PAT may be very far away. (It may be in a different state depending on your location.) The people at both the PAT and Medical Assessment were very helpful and informative. Listen to their directions, cooperate fully, and you should do just fine. Six weeks after the reading test, I was released to start training. Depending on the appointment scheduling, it could take as little as two to three weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiating, you are subject to the United Transportation Union contract.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Union Pacific

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!

Union Pacific Videos

Union Pacific – Why Work for Us?

As a railroad, we can get just about anything from point A to point B. (As North America's largest railroad, we can get it to point Z, too.) But what's truly special about Union Pacific is the way we get the job done… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Pacific Train Crew interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Union Pacific employees and interview candidates.