Union Pacific Train Crew Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Villa Grove, IL
Anonymous Employee in Villa Grove, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in July 2014.

Applied online. A few days later I was emailed to take a reading comprehension test. About 2 days later, I received a call to attend an interview session that would take place in 3 weeks.
There were 60 candidates for 12 positions,
We were told if we didn't get hired during this round, to apply again. Here is what I don't understand.
I have 12 years experience as a conductor and locomotive engineer with CSX.
Never in my career have I had any disciplinary or safety violations, but I was not offered a job. The interview went really well ( in my opinion ).
Typical questions of: Have you worked outside?
Have you been on call?
Have you worked around large machinery?
Who is responsible for your safety?
Have you ever had a safety violation at work?
They asked me why I wanted to work for UP and not CSX, and I told them it was the money. CSX and NS are the lowest paid Class one railroads in the U.S. A conductor on the UP with 5 years seniority, will make more than an engineer on CSX with 30 years seniority.
So, I thought maybe everyone in the interview had prior railroad experience. I just applied for another train crew position in Salem, IL (same seniority hub as previous application, ie; same HR person hiring) and my application went straight to no longer being considered.

The only reason I can think of for not being hired was because I'm over 50 years old. I know it's illegal to discriminate due to age, but how would you prove it? I would be curious how many new hires are over 50 years old. Oh well, their loss. They'll have 50% of the new hires quit after they find out what the job is like or the first time they get furloughed.

Other Interview Reviews for Union Pacific

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in June 2014.

Application process went quite quickly. I applied online. I think the next day I took the reading comprehension test. About a week later, I got an email inviting me to attend an interview session that was scheduled about 2-3 weeks away.

I attended the interview session and had my interview. The HR person said that we would know by the end of the night if we were offered the job or not. I thought the interview went very well. Answered the questions correctly. It was a very nice, calm atmosphere that even included some light humor. I really don't understand why I didn't get the job quite honestly, but I do understand that everything happens for a reason.

I will say that they need some work on their online site. I was confused as to whether I got an offer or not because my status online didn't change, but my application did not go to "No longer considered" either.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Union Pacific in June 2014.

Hiring Manager and HR person run 2-3 hour information session. Take notes they will ask you follow up questions. Be sure to dress professionally(slacks, button up long sleeved shirt and tie. Bring two forms of ID and pen and paper. Print the application from the website you submitted.

You get a 10 minute break during the doom and gloom speech to call your family. Interviews are scheduled throughout the day. if you're luck you get to go first. interview lasts 10-15 minutes tops.

4 week training pay is $400 a week. After that you're more like 42k. After you pass conductors training you make more like 52k a year. Overtime is expected. They do really lay it on that you can and probably will be forced to work a different location than you signed up for until you get seniority. I applied for St. Paul and they said we'll probably get duluth, eau claire or marshfield. basically when you're new they can give you the poop end of every stick. You're good after 5 years, seniority, set schedule, vested in pension. They will pay you a lot of money for the crap you have to put up with. If you don't have a degree be so grateful there are jobs like this out there for you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for UP? Have you worked shift work? Have you worked outside? Are you willing to relocate? Is your family on board with your decision to make this sacrifice?   View Answer
    No Negotiation. I haven't been Denied or Accepted yet. Should hear back today or tomorrow.

Train Crew Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Had to wait all day for the interview and really didn't know what to expect. When I got in the room it was easy as pie. I'm normally nervous at interviews but with this company the interview is simple 10mins and I was out.

Interview Questions
    • What do you bring to the company?
      Who is responsible for safety?
        View Answer
    No negotiations. it's all unionized

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Saint Paul, MN

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in April 2012.

Fill out application online, go for a reading test battery, then go for a hiring session, wait anywhere from a couple of hours to months to find out if you got hired (as well as check your status on the company website)

Interview Questions
    • If you do not live in Minnesota be prepared for cold winters like single digits to double digits below zero   Answer Question
    There is no negation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lake Charles, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Charles, LA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in January 2012.

Applied online and received an invite the following day to take a reading test. The test was administered by a 3rd party and was basic reading comprehension. A few days later my online status changed to "qualified on test" and a week or so after that I was invited to attend a hiring session the following month in Lake Charles,La .

The hiring session was held in a hotel conference room by 1 HR's and 1 manager. They spoke about their experience working for UP, some of the less desirable aspects of the job. They then answered questions from the group and assigned times for our interviews .They started the interview off by asking me to tell them a little about myself. They were all engaged and easy to talk to. They asked probably 10-15 basic personality questions and 5-10 questions about handling the work environment. A weeks days after the interview I received a call and an email notification of a conditional offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Little Rock, AR

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in December 2011.

Applied online and received an invite the following day to take a reading test. The test was administered by a 3rd party and was basic reading comprehension. I'm convinced a 10 year old could easily pass this test. A few days later my online status changed to "qualified on test" and a week or so after that I was invited to attend a hiring session the following month.

The hiring session was held in a hotel conference room by 2 HR's and 2 managers. They spoke about their experience working for UP, some of the less desirable aspects of the job and then played a short video. They then answered questions from the group (about 20 of us) and assigned times for our interviews. My name was called right on time (the interviews are very structured) and I sat across the table from the 2 HR's and 1 manager. They started the interview off by asking me to tell them a little about myself. They were all engaged and easy to talk to. They asked probably 10-15 basic personality questions and 5-10 questions about handling the work environment. A few days after the interview I received a call and an email notification of a conditional offer.

As part of the conditional offer, I was required to fill out pre employment forms within 24 hours of receiving it. It took about an hour and a half to complete them. I was informed that the in depth background check would take up to 3 weeks to complete. Meanwhile, I had to schedule a medical evaluation and a physical abilities test within 5 days of accepting the offer. The PAT consisted of pulling on a machine that didn't give while they measured my heart rate during the work and rest periods. They also measured my grip strength and my back flexibility before and after the test. The medical exam was a 12 page questionaire, a simple eye chart/color blind test, hearing test, lung capacity test, urine drug test and an ear examination by the doctor. If everything checked out my status on the website was supposed to change to "released to start"

5 weeks later it did. With no call or email notice (so check that website daily)! I should also mention that my conditional offer had my training schedule and my released to start notification was given 3 weeks prior to my start date.

Interview Questions
    Nothing. Everything is based on union collective bargaining.

Train Crew Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Union Pacific.

Applied 7/26, took reading test 8/3, invited to hiring session 9/10. 17 of us interviewed that day (60 total) and they were looking for 7. Got a call on 10/16 that the class had been postponed and that they would call me in January.

Train Crew Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Union Pacific in May 2012.

First was the reading comprehension test: It tests your attention to detail. Next is a hiring session with interview. During the hiring session, you are given a presentation (with pros and cons) and then assigned an interview time. Depending on your time, you may be there all day. Once and if you are extended a job offer, you have to complete a new hire registration (where you find your training date and location) and schedule your medical assessment and physical abilities test. Both of those are scheduled by other private companies and you are assigned an appointment time by a robot on the phone. The medical will be close to home, but the PAT may be very far away. (It may be in a different state depending on your location.) The people at both the PAT and Medical Assessment were very helpful and informative. Listen to their directions, cooperate fully, and you should do just fine. Six weeks after the reading test, I was released to start training. Depending on the appointment scheduling, it could take as little as two to three weeks.

Interview Questions
    No negotiating, you are subject to the United Transportation Union contract.

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!