Union Pacific

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Saint Charles, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Union Pacific in July 2011.

Interview Details – invited to hiring session with approx 10 others. It took most of the day, ended with no talk of a call back

Elmhurst, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring session consisted of a presentation about the position and then a test battery. The test battery consisted of a business acumen (intelligence) test, a 5 minute test that no one can complete and a very long personality test. The intelligence test is not that difficult, mostly common sense. The 5 minute test is just there to see how well you work under pressure and how quickly and accurately you think. The personality test is long and very thorough. After that you break for lunch and proceed to 1:1 interviews. The interview questions are safety focused and evaluate how you handled learning new information and strategies that you used to overcome challenges. Provide examples of leadership, ability to adapt, willingness to relocate and examples of safety. I recently got an email stating that I passed the test battery but have not yet found out if I will proceed to the next step which is to fly out to Omaha, Nebraska for the second round of interviews.

Interview Question – Describe one instance where you had to use your knowledge of safety to prevent an accident?   Answer Question

Transportation Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2011.

Interview Details – Very comfortable setting, the interviewer was a fill in for another person. Consisted of Introduction of Company, Job overview, and three test (of which examples are online), and one on one interview

Interview Question – some standard personality questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Transportation Associate

Interview Details – I applied for the opening on the compnay website and was invited to a hiring session. I completed an operations management exam, personality assessment and a principles/ethics survey. The larger exam was timed and we had 1 hour to complete it. The other part of the examination was timed at 5 minutes and was impossible to complete. It's goal is to see how you perform under pressure. The questions were relatively easy and only required a bit of concentration. The testing and persononality/ethics portion took approximately 3 hours total. After the testing was completed we were all interviewed one at a time. The interview itself was very typical. It consisted of mainly behavioral questions. They are VERY concerned about safety and some of the interview questions will revolve around that. They will also ask questions about your leadership background. The recruiter made it a point to make everyone understand the adversities we would face if hired by Union Pacific. She made it clear we would be working holidays, long hours and wouldn't have much time for family life. Starting pay is about $50,000 annually with the eligibility for a pay raise at 6 months, 1 year and when you reach a permanent location. She also made it clear that we would be relocating very frequently with very little notice. You also may be relocated to very rural areas of the United States. She also made it clear that management is a salaried position and is not a part of the union. But with the compensation you will receive it is not a big deal.

You have to wait two weeks for your test results. If you succeed in your interview you will be flown to Omaha, Nebraska for a panel interview. I passed the exam, but am still waiting on word for a second interview. If offered a second interview I will not accept it because I have already been hired by another company. Overall, I believe the job would be both challenging and fulfilling. But I do not recommend it to anyone trying to raise a family. I do not want my family uprooted every couple years, nor do I want to be working every holiday and weekend. Union Pacific is a great company that will reward you with high compensation and great benefits. But the trade-off is something you should heavily consider.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you observed coworkers violating safety protocol. How did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you were almost successfully completed with a complex task and had to start over at the last minute. What did you do?   Answer Question

Transportation Associate

Interview Details – I applied for the Operations Management Training Program online in late December of 2010. In January I got a call that I was selected for a Hiring Session/Interview. The website gave me a list of cities these would be in and I selected the city closest to me. In the latter half of February 2011, I attended the hiring session which consisted of a small presentation about the company. There were some people attending who were already employees of UP who were there to take the Management Skills Test. We then spent three hours taking the test battery. After the tests were completed we adjourned for lunch and then came back at set times for a 1:1 interview with the HR Representative. The interview was very safety minded. Questions were asked about my history managing safety programs, etc. They then talk about how difficult the program is and how hard it can be on people.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you started something new, whether it be a job, class, etc. and how did you learn the skill and how quickly did it take?   Answer Question

Transportation Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Union Pacific in February 2011.

Interview Details – The interview itself was held at the Union Pacific's Barns Yard complex in Portland, Oregon. The day started off with a roll call and then an hour long brief about the company, what to expect for each of the three management tracks, and then an overview of benefits. It was pretty impressive, as long as you are willing to travel anywhere west of the Mississippi and put in your time.

Following the presentation, there was a four part test. The UP website lays out what will be included in the test pretty well. The only criticism is that the practice test provided gives a very small taste of the questions that are in each section. Testing takes about three hours with breaks.

The interview itself was a 1:1 but I have heard from recent candidates that they went through a panel interview for this first round. It lasts about 25 minutes and includes standard questions about your qualifications, how they apply to the position, and why you want to be a part of the Union Pacific Railroad. Overall, it a relatively relaxed interview process. The HR manager for the Portland Service Group is easy to speak with so just come well prepared.

This is the first of essentially a three round interview process. Following the posting of your test results in about a week, you will be invited to panel interview in Roseville, California if you qualify on the test and receive a strong recommendation from the interviewer. The company pays for this trip so it is perk. It takes 2-4 weeks to receive the invitation call from one of the managers and the Regional Human Resources Director. Between your initial interview and the Roseville interview, there should be a phone interview as well. I just completed this first interview process so hopefully more information will follow.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to coordinate with others in order to accomplish a task?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work for the Union Pacific Railroad?   Answer Question
  • Think back to a time when you had to prioritize duties at work and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Transportation Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Union Pacific in May 2007.

Interview Details – You apply online. You go to a local hotel and take a battery of skills, personality and interview tests. 2nd interview is with a panel of Directors, VP's and GMs. A location city if offered to you.

Interview Question – How does your experience relate to this job   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Union Pacific

Worked for Union Pacific? Contribute to the Community!

Union Pacific Videos

Union Pacific – Why Work for Us?

As a railroad, we can get just about anything from point A to point B. (As North America's largest railroad, we can get it to point Z, too.) But what's truly special about Union Pacific is the way we get the job done… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Union Pacific Transportation Associate interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Union Pacific employees and interview candidates.