Uniqlo

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.6

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Uniqlo.

Hiring and interview process was pretty easy. It was nothing too difficult. They just asked me why I wanted to work for UNIQLO and what would my time commitment be. They also asked me whether I was interested in working in retails industry. Try targeting "Why UNIQLO" question by looking at how the brand is distinctive in its marketing strategies, its clothing, etc. from other similar SPA brands.

no negotiation

Manager Candidate Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Uniqlo.

I discovered the program via a campus recruiter and then applied online. The interview for this position is 3 rounds: a group skype call, in person group interview, and then a one on one interview with a district manager. They responded quickly and initially asked for a group Skype interview. At the end of the group skype interview you have to do a pretty easy "logic" question, which you get to work with the other interviewees.

If you advance you get called to do an in person interview at their corporate office. They flew me into San Francisco for a day to do a group interview. This part was slightly more difficult because you have an hour to work with other interviewees and do a case study on a failing store and present a business plan and PL chart with estimates of returns on investments to the interviewer(s), who act as a board of directors. Hardest part was just coming up with estimates of numbers since we weren't too familiar with the industry or had any comparable numbers. Good experience overall and it really revealed my weaknesses.

Last if you advance you get called in to do a one on one in person interview with a district manager.

Interview Questions
    • After presenting our business plan, she asked "Why did you choose to invest $XX on this instead of $XY amount?"   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Uniqlo.

So i went to a job fair and had a quick interview with them. I was interviewed with one other person and it was really quick and we were only asked about two or three questions: Why do you want to work here, what do you know about uniqlo and tell me about your self. The interviewer was very nice and told us we would get an email within two days. The email took longer than two days and actually ended up being a week but when i did get one is was with an interview time. I was emailed on a friday for an interview on a sunday there was no way to ask for a different day or time. When i got there the employees were really friendly but there was a lot of people more than twenty so there was a long waiting time. I waited for about 30minutes after i was told to get there to get an actual interview. I interviewed with two other candidates and two managers, again very friendly and they only asked two questions : tell me about yourself and why should we hire you and if we had any questions to ask (always ask questions, it never hurts, a good one i suggest is how would a typical day look like for this position). After the interview we waited some more and finally got called to go upstairs where we were asked about our availability one more time, the other people i happened to be called with all got to go to the next step, which is to get a drug test. So we got a reference to go to a lab which we have to do in the next two days and we will then be emailed about orientation.
    The process was easy and the interviews were quick and everyone was really friendly. Just make sure you ask questions, have availability to close at least two nights and weekend availability is a plus , also make sure you know something about the store and say you have been to it before i heard someone say they never been to one of their stores and the employer looked disappointed at that answer.

Uniqlo Manager Candidate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Uniqlo.

There was a group skype call, and another candidate was in the call with me. The same questions were asked side by side, sometimes to me first sometimes to the other candidate.

Interview Questions
    • What are three questions you might ask to determine the total number of jeans sold last year.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo.

I applied online knowing that they were doing a mass hiring. It was pretty much like everyone has already said. The first interview is very large but isn't exactly a group interview, just a very public one-on-one interview; the questions are pretty basic, describe yourself, your experience with customer service. One thing that was a little funny to me was that at the start of the first interview, while we were filling out the applications and availability forms, the woman running the interview said that we needed open availability for weekends (understandable); the strange thing was that she said "that means that if you are committed to mass, temple or any other sort of religious meeting on the weekends we probably won't hire you" I just thought that sounded fishy legally (I could be absolutely totally wrong). If the first interview goes well you'll get called into a smaller group interview with the manager who is very nice and enthusiastic. The questions are really similar to the first interview but you have time to expand on your answers. If everything goes well you have a couple of days to complete a drug test and then about a week later is orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What are your long term goals?   View Answer
    No negotiation- not even an official offer, you just receive an email calling you to orientation. Honestly, it is a little unprofessional in my opinion; committing to orientation and before you are told what your hours would look like or the wage you should expect is unusual (at least in my experience).

Uniqlo Manager Candidate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo in October 2014.

I applied through the career center at my university and I was contacted almost one month later. The interview process consisted of three different interviews.

1. The first interview was a Skype interview between me, the recruiter and another candidate. We took turns answering the recruiter’s questions. The questions were basic: Why Uniqlo? What is your biggest achievement? What are your future goals? The interview lasted about forty minutes.
    2. The second interview was a group interview. There were two Uniqlo representatives, myself and five other candidates present. After brief introductions and listening to the reps talk about the company, they gave us a small project with a thirty-minute time limit. Our task was to explain how we would turn around a failing Chicago store, which has lost revenue and has a high employee turnover rate. We discussed budget, marketing strategies, employee attitude, and overall presentation of the store. Afterward the two interviewers gave us feedback on our presentation and how they would handle the situation. It was a great activity and learning experience
    3. The third interview consisted of two parts: The first part was an interview with a Uniqlo HR rep and one of the Directors. Again they asked basic questions: Why Uniqlo? Why do you want to manage a store? How can you help other countries by working at Uniqlo? Tell me about a time where you failed. Tell me about yourself. This interview lasted about twenty minutes. The second part consisted of an in-store activity session with three other UMC candidates lasting three hours. We were greeted, did brief introductions, then the manager went over company policy, annual numbers, and Uniqlo goals. Later we toured the store and had a small customer service activity. Due to the three-hour duration of this interview, it was a bit rushed. Nonetheless, it was still a great learning experience.

Still waiting to hear back from the HR team about if I will be moving forward with the UMC program.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you failed.
      How can you help other countries by working at Uniqlo?

Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo in October 2014.

Group interview. They have an open house interview day, they ask you to go to the break room and wait for your turn. Each group is about 7 people and the interview may last between 30 min up to an hour.
    Be prepared to sit there and wait long time for someone to come over and let you know when is your turn. In my case it took around 3 hours to get interviewed.

No negotiations

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo.

It took about 3 weeks.
    2 interviews and a drug test.
    On there first interview, there was about 20 people. We were all bought down to a room in the basement somewhere. Supervisor asked some basic interview question. (experience, why you want to work there...)
    About a week later received a 2nd email.
    The second interview is also a group interview but with only 5 people.
    Then I received an email about being accepted and ask to do a drug test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Uniqlo in September 2014.

It's basically the same as everyone else has posted. The hiring managers take you to a room below in the building behind the store. It's about twenty other people getting interviewed. They interview you in the back of the room, everyone can hear, literally. They ask basic interview questions and about your previous work experience. You MUST be able to close two days Monday-Friday and work weekends. If you can't fulfill those two requirements, you most likely won't get hired.

Interview Questions
    • What why should we hire you? What makes you different from everyone else we're interviewing today? [This question makes or breaks your interview!]   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo in September 2014.

i saw an ad online for Uniqlo on craigslist. I applied on the Uniqlo site. I was sure I didn't get it because it took 4 weeks for them to email me asking for an interview at the 34th St. location. The interview was on a Wednesday. Make sure to be properly dressed. I went into the store and was led to the Training room by one of the managers. She was very friendly and talkative. I was on of the first 3 people there with my application done and resume on hand. We waited a little bit in the room till it got crowded. The three of us that were there first were called up to the front of the room where we go interviewed by another manager which was a guy. Mind you, everyone can hear the questions and your answers. Once we finished we were told to wait out in the hallway. The woman manager told us to follow her. She led us back upstairs where she was letting us go. The other two people she asked once again about their availability and then told them to wait for an email if they got it or not. I was sure that we all didn't get the job. So when she started talking to me about my availability I said I was open. She then pulled out a piece of paper and told me to take a drug test before Friday. On tuesday they sent an email asking me to come to the orientation on Thursday. The key to get this job especially in NY is to smile at all times, be polite, don't ask to many questions, and base your response as if your going to stay there for multiple years. They are not looking for students or someone who wants a job because of the money. REMEMBER KEEP SMILING.