Uniqlo

Updated Mar 1, 2015
Updated Mar 1, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Uniqlo in September 2014.

It's basically the same as everyone else has posted. The hiring managers take you to a room below in the building behind the store. It's about twenty other people getting interviewed. They interview you in the back of the room, everyone can hear, literally. They ask basic interview questions and about your previous work experience. You MUST be able to close two days Monday-Friday and work weekends. If you can't fulfill those two requirements, you most likely won't get hired.

Interview Questions
    • What why should we hire you? What makes you different from everyone else we're interviewing today? [This question makes or breaks your interview!]   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo in September 2014.

i saw an ad online for Uniqlo on craigslist. I applied on the Uniqlo site. I was sure I didn't get it because it took 4 weeks for them to email me asking for an interview at the 34th St. location. The interview was on a Wednesday. Make sure to be properly dressed. I went into the store and was led to the Training room by one of the managers. She was very friendly and talkative. I was on of the first 3 people there with my application done and resume on hand. We waited a little bit in the room till it got crowded. The three of us that were there first were called up to the front of the room where we go interviewed by another manager which was a guy. Mind you, everyone can hear the questions and your answers. Once we finished we were told to wait out in the hallway. The woman manager told us to follow her. She led us back upstairs where she was letting us go. The other two people she asked once again about their availability and then told them to wait for an email if they got it or not. I was sure that we all didn't get the job. So when she started talking to me about my availability I said I was open. She then pulled out a piece of paper and told me to take a drug test before Friday. On tuesday they sent an email asking me to come to the orientation on Thursday. The key to get this job especially in NY is to smile at all times, be polite, don't ask to many questions, and base your response as if your going to stay there for multiple years. They are not looking for students or someone who wants a job because of the money. REMEMBER KEEP SMILING.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Uniqlo in August 2014.

I applied online. They emailed me with the invitation to come in for an interview. Once I got there we waited in the employee lounge. There was about maybe less than 20 people. We followed a young woman outside into another building where she led us to a room downstairs where there was another man. They introduced themselves as managers for a different location. That was fine. They announced that the position was seasonal. That was not clear when I applied and was slightly disappointed but they said they were willing to keep the hard workers. Cool, i was there already. I had never been to Uniqlo physically but was familiar with their clothes from their website. I do a ton of online shopping so I didnt think that mattered at all but I honestly think that it did. As we filled out a paper application they came around and asked us simple questions like, have you been to Uniqlo before and if I was older than 18, basic things. I said no to me having been there, maybe i should have clarified but I thought i would have that opportunity once the interviews began. They shuffled around the papers in the back of the room whispering to each other. Looking back, I think they were already doing the elimination process from there. The man started interviewing first calling up the first three people. I could hear every question he asked. He was asking real interview questions, situational questions. The girl did her interviews but they were finished literally before the guy finished his. she was letting people go as he was still giving interviews. Myself and another girl were interviewed last. There were three or four people still sitting there and the man was already done. She asked all of two questions. Why Uniqlo of course. Before I could finish my thought she was nodding and already looking at the other girl for her answer but I was still speaking so she would bring her eyes back and nod and say "uh huh". I felt rushed. Then she explained the strict methods and asked if that would be okay. As I attempted to explain why that would be okay because I thought just a simple yes wouldnt be okay but it seemed as though thats all she wanted to hear before again nodding and turning to the next girl. In my head I'm thinking okay....now where do you learn about my qualifications? what I know how to do and things like that. I felt extremely robbed of an interview and am almost sure they knew they weren't going to hire me from the beginning. Wish they didnt make it so obvious. Again as soon as that interview was over she walked us out leaving the people that were still sitting there. I knew what it was. Sure enough that tuesday I got the email saying they wouldnt be needing me. I was surprised or disappointed at that point.

Interview Questions
    • what was unexpected was the fact that the questions were in no way shape or form any way to determine if I could do the job well or not. Why Uniqlo.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo in August 2014.

I had applied to the store twice already, but decided to give it another try once my sister had recently gotten a job at the soho store. So I applied and got a email asking for an interview at the fifth avenue location six days later. I went and they took us a long way to a basement where we started. The assistant manager introduced herself and basically said the two requirements to work at unqlo was to close two shifts a week and have open availability on the weekends. Then they gave us sheets to fill out then collected those and our resumes. Then the interview process began. They began calling people one at a time and then escorted them out. When it was my turn the woman basically asked: "what do you know about uniqlo?" "What can you bring to uniqlo?" , and "name a time you dealt with a difficult customer." I just remember smiling and keep eye contact. After it was done, she thanked me and escorted me out. I left feeling uncertain if I got the job but two days later I received an email inviting me back for a second interview with the general manager. This time it was me and two other girls. The general manger was nice and easy to talk to. It felt very relaxed and we were all laughing at some point. At the end he shook our hand and told us we would recieve an email in a week if we got it. We all left feeling confident. The next day I received an email offering me the job and asking me to take a drug test. Just have good energy and smile a lot and you'll definitely get it.

Interview Questions
    • "Where do you see yourself in ten years?"

"What do you like about uniqlo?"

"What do we need to improve on?"

Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Uniqlo in July 2014.

The interview process is fairly unorganized and the hiring manager is unprofessional. It is a big group interview and even though I got there on time, I waited for two hours to be interviewed.

I am a student from a target with a high GPA. I am also doing an internship but I just wanted to work a part-time job to get some extra cash. When I told the hiring manager I plan on going into finance and consulting, she frowned as if she expects me to set my long-term career goal to dedicate my life to Uniqlo as a sales associate? LOL. Like come on, I am just applying for a seasonal position... And it seems like she doesn't even really listen when I answer her questions. The questions are so superficial a toddler could answer them. How could you possibly differentiate your candidates this way?

Overall, worst interview experience I have ever had. Feel disrespected and don't see how someone with my experience and qualifications didn't get the job. Oh, they probably didn't even read my resume. Such a waste of my time.. Well, at least now I know I would never want to have anything to do with Uniqlo.

Sales Associate Interview

interviewed at Uniqlo in June 2014.

The interview took place at West Hollywood, CA
    it was a 1:1 interview
    i was the only one there and i was waiting for the interview before me to end. so while i was waiting, a guy offered me a seat. little i know that he was the one going to interview me.

we introduced ourselves.
    He started with what UNIQLO is. then, he asked me on what i know about uniqlo.
    He asked questions like:
    -why uniqlo
    -tell me about yourself
    -are you an energetic person
    -can you work late nights during weekend
    -what do you think your teacher would tell about you
    - strength and weakness
    -do you have any questions?

My advice to those who are going to apply or have an interview with uniqlo is that you have to be really energetic and not shy. if you are nervous, you have to control it. answer the questions to the best of your ability. don't be afraid to make a mistake.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo in May 2014.

I applied online and after 2 weeks was called for an interview for the 5th avenue store.

Arriving to the location I had to wait in the break room, along with 11 other people which was very awkward since we the potential future employees sat on one side of the room and on other all the people who already had the job and had nothing to be nervous about.

Finally a girl who works for HR came in and told us to follow her along with another employee, where we proceeded to walk outside the building, into the next building's lobby, down 2 flights of stairs into some basement only to finally enter a room that could hold around 60 people.

From there they gave us some paperwork and if we had our resume, didn't have to fill out certain parts, and in the meantime in that exact same room were led one by one to the back of the room to be interviewed by either the girl or guy, while everyone could obviously hear the whole conversation/questions.

Questions:
    What do you know about UNIQLO and why do want to work here?
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    Have you ever had a conflict and how did you deal with it?
    Describe yourself in 3 words?
    Why should we hire you?
    When was a time you showed good customer service?

The interview itself I felt went really well, I was able to tackle every question and i especially feel I helped her understand that I genuinely like UNIQLO rather then simply being someone whose looking for a paycheck.

After interviewing the majority of the people, they started what I presume is the process of elimination and called out the names of 4 of them and told them to come with her.

When she came back and there was still 1 more person left to be interviewed she called out 6 names, this time mine was included.

I was prepared for the disappointing "sorry" considering the last guy she interviewed didn't get called. But instead she said "congratulations you've moved on to the 2nd interview"

Unfortunately what was expected to be a 1 day process now became 2 and now I had to wait till the end of the week for my next interview with the GM of the store.

Once again arriving to the break room I found myself waiting with 3 other people now, and once again we were called by the same HR girl who took us down to a really tiny room where the GM was, where he interviewed all of us as a group.

Prepared to tackle any question while standing out over the competition I was very surprised and disappointed by the 2 generic questions we we're asked instead.

When was a time you showed good customer service?
    Where do you see yourself in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years from now?

With such questions there was really no way to distinguish myself from the other 3 since none of them involved my knowledge and interest in the company, besides.

- Do you know the name of the company founder?

And with that the interview was over. The GM told all of us we would be informed (or not he also said) if he we got the job or not which for UNIQLO is the polite way of saying you didn't get it.

With such a short interview, overall the GM just seemed more interested in finding a future manager then actually looking for someone with interest in the company which ironically is exactly what he said he was looking for. And the fact he felt the need in the end to tell us how they only hire 1% of their applicants just made him and the company look pretentious for a simple retail seasonal position.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 1 year, 5 years, and 10 years from now?   View Answer
    • Any questions?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Uniqlo in May 2014.

I applied online & received an email for an interview within a week. Pretty straight-forward- arrive on time in business casual wear, smile a lot, be friendly. It was a group interview with about 5 others so you may feel a bit intimidated but we all take turns answering questions, it wasn't a 'who jumps to answer first' game. Just know information about the business.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo in April 2014.

I found their posting on Craigslist for several of the new stores in the bay area. I followed their link and filled out the application. A couple of weeks later I was email with a group interview offer. I was offered several dates and asked to choose one and reply, which I did. I showed up to the interview and was taken to a back room with several other candidates. The hiring manager introduced herself and gave a brief history of her work at Uniqlo as well as the company itself. Next we were asked to briefly introduce ourselves. After the introductions we were asked all the basic interview questions and availability. After the interview we were thanked for our time and told we would hear back from them soon. A few weeks later I was again emailed with a sales position offer dependent on upon a completed and approved background check. I was asked to authorize the background check. This process took about a week, I was then again emailed with the information about orientation. Pretty simple process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time you received great costumer service, and what made it so special.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Uniqlo.

They just want friendly, customer-oriented employees. So smile!