Uniqlo Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

2.6

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Uniqlo.

They just want friendly, customer-oriented employees. So smile!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo in April 2014.

Found the original post on Craigslist, and applied online to the Uniqlo 34th St. location.
    Within 24 hours, they emailed me back and asked to come in for a interview in 5 days at 2:30pm
    Walked in to the store and was led into the breakroom, where at least 15 other people were waiting. As I walk in, I feel overwhelmingly overdressed in trousers, heels, and a nice blouse. Everyone was very casual--way too casual (in like jeans and hoodies). They called about half of us in, led us into another room, and filled out another application (bring your resume!). After that, they called in 5 of us and because of the high volume of interviews (?) took us into this tiny room where I was shoulder-to-shoulder with the other interviewees. There a sales assoc. asked us very typical interview questions, and we went in the order of our cramped circle. Things like "How did you handle poor customer service?" and "Why do you want to work for Uniqlo". He asked us about 5 or 6 questions max.

After that we went back to the breakroom, they basically started an elimination process. They called me and 3 others at a time (I assumed I didn't get the job) but they congratulated us, said we are guaranteed the job if we pass a drug test within 72 hours. Passed the drug test--got an email to come in for orientation.

Orientation was the following Friday at 9:30am.. however I'm a university student and I have classes I can't miss (especially during the period of midterms) I specifically wrote down that I wasn't available at that time. I emailed back saying that I'm wasn't available. The HR rep apologized but said they only offered orientation at that time and if I can't attend orientation than I couldn't work.

Long story short: pretty informal interview process, easy questions, and no accommodations for students

Interview Questions

They only offered one scheduled orientation, and it was during my midterms so I couldn't make it therefore I couldn't work.

UMC Candidate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo.

3 steps to the process -- one on one interview, group interview, and then final interview at headquarters. The group interview was most difficult and also unique. It was similar to a case study. I was offered the job within the next day of the final interview with a week to accept the offer.

Interview Questions
    There was not most negotiation

Management Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Uniqlo.

1st round- Skype call with you and two other candidates, nothing too crazy, do your research

2nd round- group interview, get an example of a failing store and try to solve it in groups

Final round- 3 to 1 interview, pretty straight forward also

Interview Questions
    • In the second round interview they are trying to weed people out/scare people.   Answer Question

Uniqlo Manager Candidate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Uniqlo in February 2014.

Three interviews. First was via Skype, second and third were at the New York office. The second interview consisted of a group of 11 applicants and included an introduction to the company, a "warm-up" exercise, and a case study. The group split in two and each side presented their case to the other group. The case was pretty easy - more simple than the kind you see in consulting interviews. The question was basically asking to determine how to turn around a low-performing store.

The third interview was a brief behavioral interview with a store manager, the CMO and the VP of HR for Uniqlo USA. They were all very nice and the interview was simple.

Interview Questions
    • First interview - How many pairs of jeans did Uniqlo Japan sell last year? It seems that every applicant is asked this question in the first round. You are allowed to ask the interviewer 5 questions to gather the information you need to answer the question.   View Answer

I declined because I was not interested in spending 4-5 years working on the floor in a store before moving into corporate. Right now, Uniqlo is focused on rapidly expanding its store in the US but it is not really growing the corporate side in the meantime. This means that there is rapid upward movement in the store management side of the business, but no equally rapid movement into or within corporate.

Uniqlo Manager Candidate Interview

I was called and asked to do a skype interview several days after a career fair at my college. The interview was scheduled for three days later. There was actually another person interviewing for the same position on the call, but they didn't say anything about that beforehand. During the call, we alternated going first to answer questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Uniqlo.

After my interview and drug test they sent me an email telling me that I should come in for orientation. Once I got there they had use sit in a small room to fill out paper work. Once I saw how much they wanted to pay us all of our smiles faded. They had to threaten us to look lively. For a billion dollar company this is just sad.

Interview Questions

They want mandatory overnights, constant smiling, no talking between coworkers and pays 8.50 per hour.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Uniqlo.

Simple, based on rounds. If you speak out actively and look positive you'll move onto final round

Interview Questions
    • Personality questions, like what animal would you be? You gotta think quick and be creative   Answer Question

Manager In Training Interview

So far have only done the first process. Was an interview with another candidate and one interviewer. The interview itself was pretty straightforward -- tell me about yourself, a time when you faced a challenge, those kinds of things.

Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Uniqlo.

Pretty standard. I think the previous people explained the interview process pretty well.

If you're applying not through On-Campus Recruitment, you won't have to complete the YouTube video. You're interview will consist of three rounds: 1.) Skype interview with the regional recruiter, 2.) group interview in San Francisco or New York City, and 3.) one-on-one with executive recruiters.

The first step is pretty much all behavioral questions. Typical questions like: describe a challenging situation with your supervisor and how you resolved it, can you demonstrate that you're customer focused, etc. The interview is thirty-minutes long. Make sure to focus on leadership, team work, and customer service (a MUST).

If you're selected for the next round, the recruiter will schedule a short phone conversation with you to go over the case. Note that this is NOT an interview. He/ she will just tell you what you need to know - not a competitive interview, so work together; know what an income statement is; etc.

The group interview was not as stressful as I expected. All of my fellow interviewees were friendly. And you have to be friendly because UNIQLO values team-work. I even had dinner with my case mates afterwards! We worked together on the underperforming store case. Mind you, we worked TOGETHER throughout - from the case planning to answering the questions. It's fine to disagree, but note that you don't want to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. The case was really simple, but keep in mind that thirty-five minutes is NOT a lot of time.

Tip: Make sure to cover all points of the case! Don't get lost on the most obvious problem.

The last step I didn't get to. I was rejected after the group interview with a very uninformative e-mail from the New York recruiter even though I have NEVER met with her. I thought that was classless.

They did explain after the group interview that it would have been an all day interview with the executive recruiters from San Francisco and New York. The interview with the recruiters will be short - around fifteen to thirty minutes. However, you will be taken to a local UNIQLO store to shadow a manager. Keep in mind that you will observed with your conversation with the store manager.

My interview experience was neutral. It was a simple interview with very friendly people. What I didn't like was that it's pretty OBVIOUS who they were going to ask for the next round in the case interview. But I am glad that I didn't get the position in the end because I really didn't like the whole concept of moving every year.

Interview Questions
    • How many pairs of jeans did UNIQLO sell last year. You can ask me three questions.   Answer Question