United Airlines Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Sep 1, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

They used Hirevue for the interview. They have questions appear on the screen and then you answer them on video. take the practice questions to get used to the format. also, get in a well lit area and make sure you look like a flight attendant. the interview takes about 15 minutes. They asked 'What is a misconception that customers and coworkers have of you. - 'they think i never have a bad day because I'm always in a good mood, when actually i have bad days just like everyone else.' Keep your answers positive. You want them to see all the good that you have to offer. They asked 'Why do you want to be a flight attendant' - They know you want to travel. Thats also what everyone says... Stand out with a unique reason for wanting this job. 'I love people and have a passion for service. I love adventure and enjoy being able to blah blah blah.' The video interview was like 5 questions, the final one was 'tell us everything you know about united airlines.' They want to see if you are looking for a job or investing in a career. I memorized the wiki page on united. I answered with 'I know that you have hubs in Guam, Tokyo, NYC, DC, Houston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, San Fransisco and LA. I know you are the largest employee owned company in the world. I know that you started in the 1920s as a crop dusting company. I know that you have merged and absorbed tons of airlines over the years including Wisconsin air, Arizona air and most recently continental. I know that you are the largest airline in the world with over 370 destinations. I know you are a founding member of the star alliance with 26 other airlines. (a few other facts) and i finished with 'i know your employees are happy.' I finished the interview and thought i did mediocre of a few of the questions, but felt good about the others. wasn't sure if id hear back. Got to the willis tower at 8:20am (interview was at 9) made sure i know where i was going, etc. don't me late and get there w enough time to find your way around. there was other candidates hanging out in the lobby so i hung by them. jumped into conversation and they were amazing. Everyone there is wanting to do a good job, so they are all friendly. mix and mingle. it brings the nerves down. We went up and checked in. bring your resume. gave them the resumes, dropped bags and went into a conf room with about 25 people. They talked pay, hours and schedule, location. were all going to san fran right now. and gave time for questions. prepare a question or two. They called us one by one out of the group for our face to face private interview. I was called second our of 25, which was awesome! Got into the room with the nicest 4 people I've ever met. They were so amazing. The lady who was conducting my interview was incredible. I wish she was my mom. They want you to be your best, so they make the interview very calm and friendly. They had me read an announcement that was written on a piece of paper. They don't want you to read it, they want you to perform it. Read it the way the flight attendant on your last flight read it. Then they asked 6 questions. The last question they say 'were gonna step out of the room for 30 seconds, think of 3 reasons why you would be a good fit.' They asked me to attend another interview with some of the higher-ups in the company. i came back at 12:45 and went into the conf room. There were 5 of us now. I found out then that we had another face to face interview, not a group deal where they offer us jobs. So i sat and talked with the other 4 candidates, got called into the meeting and sat with 3 gentlemen. They said 'the hard part is over, we just wanna get to know you a little better.' They asked me 'Why united over other airlines' I told them 'They are the largest, meaning that they have strong leadership and vision. I want to be part of something great, something i can give my life to. They went from a crop dusting company to the largest airline on earth. that says something. 2. everything I've read, people I've spoken with, say that the employees love united. blah blah.' They asked about my customer service philosophy. I told them that customer service and keeping customers happy is a means to an end. the end goal is making them loyal return customers. My philosophy is to do what it takes to make them continue to choose United. one of my references is a flight attendant, they asked me what he has told me about actually being a flight attendant. i told them he said its great and amazing and awesome, etc. then they sent me out of the room for 2 minutes, talked and called me back in. They asked me if i had any visible tattoos, which i do, and i told them that the policy states that they have to be covered, but are ok. and i have them, but they are not able to be seen. They then told me that id hear in 5-7 days if i was being invited to attend training. training is 5 weeks long and you aren't an official employee until you pass.

Interview Questions

• name a time you had a problem with a customer, what'd you do?   2 Answers
    • name a time when you had an issue with a coworker. how did you handle it, what was the outcome.   1 Answer
    • They asked if I was the lead FA and one of my crew didn't want to do their job, how would i handle it.   1 Answer
    • Name 3 reasons you are the fit for this job   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

So first I was contacted to do a video interview. It was 5 questions. "Why do you want to work for United"," name a time you dealt with a coworker who wasn't pulling their weight", "Why should we hire you". After I did that interview I got an email a few days later asking me to call a number to set up an interview time. I called and ended up having my interview in Chicago. They flew me out the day before. The interview was at 9:00am at the Willis Tower and I got there around 8:15 but no one could go up to the floor until 8:30am. When we got to the interview room we were greeted by flight attendants who checked us in and gave us name tags. We then all sat in a room where there was a PowerPoint playing with United's information. All the flight attendants came in and a man spoke about United. Then everyone left the room except for one flight attendant who was there to answer any questions we had about the position. He told us that we would probably be stationed in SFO. After that it was time for the 2-1 interview. When it was my turn I went into a room where I was greeted by two flight attendants. They immediately asked me to read a paragraph about customs as a practice announcement. I messed up on one part but kept going. After that the questions started. They then left the room and told me to think of 3 words that would describe me and why I would be a good fit for the position. I am pretty sure they use this time to discuss whether you go on to the next round of interviews or not. They came back in and listened to my answer and immediately told me to come back at 1:00pm. After I came back there was 5 of us and we sat back in the room and one by one each of us met with people from corporate. You basically have an invitation to training unless you don't meet the requirements. Just some advice, if you have a tattoo and it's not visible just say no. Any type of tattoo makes them hesitate. This happened to one of the 5 that made it to the final round of interviews. This interview was really easy and they were all really nice, especially the one guy who was in charge of the marketing and sales division. They told me people usually hear back 5-7 days but that I'd hear back 1-2 days. That is a good thing! I got an email the nextday.day inviting me to training.c

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for United   3 Answers
    • If a lady was on her laptop and refused to turn it of once the cabin doors where closed what would you say?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about United?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to deal with an angry customer?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • What is something challenging flight attendants must face?   1 Answer
    • Name 3 things about you that make you a good fit for this position?   1 Answer
    • Tell us something about yourself that we wouldn't know by looking at your resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Just a few side notes: I recently interviewed in Chicago. All the notes and questions are completely accurate on Glassdoor. Read them and know them, with your own stories. Travelling to Chicago in professional wear, everyone thought I was a flight attendant, even the FA and Pilots, passengers would stop me to ask me questions. Entering Willis tower they thought I was an FA trainer. The FA I was greeted by gave me all kinds of thumbs up. Other interviewees thought I was an FA planted in the group, so they all wanted to talk to me. I am a career changer, educated, excellent corporate work history and fully bilingual and was/am applying for the language FA. It cost me $500 to attend this interview and shaky ground with my current employer: 2 days off work, new suit and matching shoes, hotel, light meals and incidentals like nail polish and lipstick I'll never use, cab and train rides. I had thumbs up from other interviewing flight attendants that wanted to be in my training class. I was the fourth called in and the interview was fluid and amazing! This in my mind was happening! As others had put it, because of my language - I should have been a shoe in. I was dismissed after my first interview with a senior FA. After she stated We'll let you know in 5-7 days via e-mail. I asked about my language testing? She had no idea I was a language applicant. She looked at me with disbelief and said how fluent are you? Now let's just talk about this disbelief, I'm an adult who told you real stories, actually they were mild stories of my achievements and customer service successes. I not only had a brag book to back my stories but letters from customers and national awards. My references alone should have stated my validity. I stated my fluency and she made a comment of how she took that language in high school as well and failed. I restated I'm completely fluent and was raised in the country of that language and all my education was in this language, as well as my family. She again looked in disbelief and said we'll tell you the next step in 5-7 days. This was an amazing interview until that last part, that I was not only prepared for but was fantastically executed. I don't currently make a lot of money as stated I'm career changer. This $500 would have been put to much better use. All I'm saying is, think it through... They may have scrapped every interview from that day, I've heard they've done that before per current FA's and local applicant FA's. There were probably 25 people in that room with me. Most applicants believed only three would be offered training which is closer to 1 from 3 locations each day or 2 a day chosen from all six locations. Every city on the list is performing interviews and they seem to do interviews every week day. If they have a class every 5 weeks of 50 people (as stated) and are interviewing on average 25 candidates at 6 locations, that is 150 people a day across the US.(150 candidates per day X 5 days a week x 5 weeks of interviews = 3750 candidates versus the 50 going to training once every 5 weeks) just do the math, that's a 1.3% chance of being offered training. Now I'm not sure if I will be called, there's that small hope that it was as great as I thought. Realistically, I shouldn't have gone, the interviewer didn't even look at my resume or know what I was applying for. It's really just left a bad taste in my mouth and to add to it, FA and Pilots are picketing for a better contract- look it up. We all look at this information on Glassdoor, but are you looking at all the information or just the questions to prepare. Think it through is all I'm saying! Update: I did hear back before this was released. I was declined and thanked for sharing my qualifications face to face.I replied with a detailed e-mail of my experience.

Interview Questions

• How would passengers perceive you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied on 8/10/15 and within 2 days I got the email that invited me to a video interview. Now I went through this process before with the same airline.. and I didn't get the job. I look at it as a warmup. this is something I REALLYYYY want and I refuse to give up. I now have a better understanding of what they are looking for and everything everyone has been saying is true.. be yourself and let the card fall here they may. I will be doing my video interview either today or tomorrow. wish me luck as I will the same for you all ! 🙏🏾

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Did the online hirevue process and just did my face to face with United! I believe it went incredible! I'm waiting for an email now. Looking for anyone who also was their and there outcome!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Interviewed in Chicago on aug 5 in Chicago. Great experience , United flight attendants absolutely awesome and kind went on one on one interviews and just waiting to hear. Wondering where there any second interviews that day and has anyone heard any good news. Loved our group.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I sent my resume and filled out the application online and was offered a video interview. I was given 5 days to complete it. Make sure you dress professional and do your hair and make-up and have no noise in the background. My neighbor started mowing their yard while I was doing the practice questions (which are none of the actual question fyi) so luckily I was able to wait till they were done to start, because once you start you can't stop and there are no do-overs. I found question 5 to be really hard and I have never been asked that question before, so I wasn't prepared for it. I don't think I did really well on that one. Also, I gave all my examples for # 3 for question # 2, so make sure you say "What it means to you" and then you have your personal examples for the 3rd question left. I have done about 3 of these video interviews and I've found these questions to be the hardest so far. So be prepared!

Interview Questions

• 1.Why should we hire you/ Why would you be good for this position? 2. What does exceptional customer service mean to you? 3.When is a time you went above and beyond for a customer? 4. How would co-workers and customer describe you? What do you think their perception if of you? 5. What is a misconception a coworker or customer may have of you? 6. Tell us anything else you think we should know about you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online July 8, which was a Wednesday. On Friday, I was requested to do a HireVue interview. The following week, I was selected to do a group interview and flew out July 21st. My interview was quick and thorough but I wasn't asked to return for a second interview. As I am writing this, I do not know if I have an offer. It seems that most people who were offered a position were asked to return for a follow-up so I don't think I am getting an offer. Will update this post if so.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you dealt with an unruly customer   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied online July 21st and received an email on July 22nd saying they wanted me to do a video interview. I completed that on July 27th. It was very difficult for me not to watch myself on the computer screen which made me feel uncomfortable. I practiced for about an hour and then did the interview. I was very nervous and I feel I did a terrible job. I received an email saying my interview had been submitted and someone from United would contact me about next steps. As of today Aug 3rd I have not heard from anybody. I'm assuming I won't be invited to the "in person" interview because of my video interview. It kind of frustrates me because I am a very personable person but could not let myself shine because the video thing was strange to me. I'll re-post if I hear anything.

Interview Questions

• Is there anything else you'd like to tell United Airlines about yourself   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

Did a video online- heard back within hours that they wanted me to call to set up a face to face interview. Ive heard countless things on here that you should get a second interview during your face to face but I didn't. They told everyone that they would hear between 5-7 days via email if they were offered a position. I'm still waiting to hear.

Interview Questions

• What is a common misconception that coworkers may have about yourself?   1 Answer