United Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines in December 2014.

I applied Oct 27, got an email on Nov 21 saying that they had received my application and are now reviewing it. Then Nov 25 I got email inviting me to the F2F interview
I got there super early around 7:40. (I left my hotel at 7:30ish so it’s really close by from Ramada) Walked into a room with the other candidates. We chatted and they told us the process will start at 8:30 when they collect our resume, gave you a blue sheet to read about the position, confirmed your returning flight and gave you a name tag. Then after a short moment someone gave us a slide show explaining basic stuff about being a flight attendant, like being on reserve and the pay…etc.
After that the recruiters came in and called people out one by one. Meanwhile someone else came in to answer questions. I asked ALOT of questions but not to impress anyone I just really wanted to know about the position. The guy who answered my questions wasn’t even part of the recruiters so you don’t have to really worry about ‘oh if i don’t ask question i won’t have a chance’. There was about 30 of us, not too terribly much but honestly there were some people I already knew weren’t going to get hired, based on their way of talking (try not to sound cool or show off-y, I think that’s a horrible thing to do.) There were people who had been flight attendants before or currently working for small airlines, doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have a good attitude, really. Chat with people, I got lucky I met some people on my way to the training center. Just be yourself, and if you don’t really want this job, don’t apply, it’s that simple.
It took them a while to call me name. BY THE WAY they told us they are doing things a little bit differently now, I agree it’s really nothing like what I read on here before. Instead of starting with one on one I got two recruiters interviewing me. They were SUPER NICE, I mean I don’t just tell you people are nice I’m not that kind of person, but these two recruiters were something else. One of them is a domestic lady, the other one was an international guy. They asked me a lot about scenarios, I will post as many questions as I remembered. They started with asking me about who I am, then moved on to reading an announcement out loud, it’s one that’s telling people on board that they need to fill out customs forms. Don’t be nervous just take 30 seconds read it over in your mind, then start. I would say I was in the room for maybe 20+ minutes. At the end they told me that would be stepping outside of the room to discuss, meanwhile they wanted me to think of my strongest strength and tell them what it is when they return. They were outside for about 3 minutes, came back to the room, I told them my answer, and they told me to go eat lunch at the airport and be back at 1pm. They just said “we have further questions for you so come back at 1". They sent me to the lobby to wait for the shuttle driver, I got off at terminal E (thats where they drop you off) and I went to the Marriott via the “air train” and I had lunch there.
I think that’s as much as I can offer you all, best of luck!!!

Interview Questions
  • -Describe a time where you had to work with a difficult co workers, what did you do?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a time where you had fun on the job.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you had to make a decision at the job which you wished you would have done differently.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for United Airlines

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at United Airlines in January 2015.

Just had my interview today (Jan. 15, 2015). They completely changed the interview process from the previous years. It lasted a whole 2 hours at the most. When we got there we mingled and then they introduced themselves to us and talked about what the flight attendant position entailed. Pretty much the same as all the other interviews. Then, they did a question and answer session for us to ask any questions we might have. While this was going on, they pulled us out for a 2 on 1 interview. They were both very nice. I had done a lot of preparing so none of the questions they asked me were a surprise. They started off by having me read an announcement from a card about giving out documents to pax and making sure they had everything ready for customs. Then, went into the questions. They ended with asking me to think of 3 things that best describe me. They left the room and came back within 2 mins.

These are the questions they asked me:
    - Tell me about a time there was a conflict between you and a coworker.
    - Have you ever come into contact with an angry passenger? what did you do and how did they respond?
    - Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant for United?
    - Explain a stressful situation that you think a flight attendant would encounter? how did you handle it?
    - Describe a time at work when your normal duties changed. What did you do to adapt?
    - What are the three best qualities you could bring to United?
    - Those of us who are interviewing you will be flying with you today - we are all senior flight attendants, but you as a new flight attendant will be the LEAD flight attendant (i.e. supervisor). We refuse to work - no matter what you say, we will not help you. How would you handle the situation?
    - Is there anything not on your application that you would like us to know?
    - What is a misconception people may have about you?
    - Tell me about a time when you made a decision at work that you regret or that you wish you had done differently.
    - How much do you know about being "on reserve"
    - Tell me about at time when you had fun at work
    - Tell me about a time when you faced a change in work and how did you adapt to this change? (This could be with policy also)

Those are all the questions I remembered. They will send out emails within 5-7 days to let us know if we got the job or not. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time at work when there was a change, and how did you adapt?
      Is there anything not on the application that you would like us to know?

View Answers (2)

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

Applied in Oct 2014. United emailed me in December 2014 inviting me to interview Jan 2015. Interview was Jan 2015.

We handed in our resumes, then watched a video about United and did a Q&A session.
    During Q&A, recruiters came in and pulled people out one by one for the face to face interview.

During my interview there was 2 flight attendants asking the questions. I was asked about 10 questions. There were some normal questions, but there were 2 or 3 that were very difficult and stumped me. Just take your time and try to think of an example to give that demonstrates your great customer service skills.
    At the end of the interview they told me to tell them why I am the best candidate and to think about my answer and they would return. They returned, I gave my answer, and told me they would be passing my notes on to the recruiting manager and to wait for a second Interview.

My second interview was with 2 people from inflight recruiting. The questions they asked were easier, and many of them were just a review of the questions I was asked before. They wanted to know if I was ready for the flight attendant lifestyle most of all. This interview was short and at the end they told me they would email me in 5-7 days and sent me home.

I was worried that this meant I didn't get the job because I read that there was 3 steps. They changed the process because I got my phone call the next day and was invited to training!

Good Luck!

Advice:
    -Come prepared with plenty of customer service examples ready to give
    -Have questions ready to ask during the Q&A and also during your interview
    -Research United and be ready to answer "Why United?" Because they ask that...a lot.
    -Rememeber to smile and keep a positive attitude

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at United Airlines in March 2015.

Questions about yourself, jobs and scenarios. Take your time and make sure to use the STAR method. The entire process is short, it is different for everyone. Some are asked to stay, I was not and received an offer via email.

Interview Questions
    • What is a misconception people have about you.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Had to sit and wait for a one on one interview then if you did well, you would get a second interview and then they would contact you about the job. Pretty much if you get the 2nd interview you would get the job. It was a great experience since this was my first interview for a flight attendant. Just look at what the other people wrote on here and you will do fine. Study about the company too.

Flight Attendant Interview

Was basically what everyone has said before. Sit in the room wait for your name to be called. I then got a 1 on 1 interview, i was asked backed to interview for a team of united employees and I found out the following day

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

The process was cool. No stress it was an interview & as long as you have had interviews in the past them you're fine. Just prepare yourself I persona watched youtube videos, & did a lot of googling. I was interviewed in Houston on March 2, 2015. Like 6 days ago still no response. Good luck to you all. Don't get caught up in what previous interviewers say. It seems to me the process is always changing.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a dispute with between you & a coworker?   View Answer
    • What would you do if a veteran F/A didn't want to serve passengers because the flight was a short one   View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

I was there earlier and I was talking to another candinate at the beginning of the interview, every thing else goes well. They have collect our resume first and give everyone a blue name tag

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

They flew candidates to Houston for a P2P interview. Everybody waits at a room while they call people. They have you read an announcement aloud and then proceed to questions. They are all extremely nice and polite and make you feel welcome and comfortable. Take your time, be prepared and answer questions carefully but be yourself. You can add personal traits that could benefit you at the end of the interview process. Dress professionally, as if you already were a flight attendant.

Interview Questions
    • * What is a misconception people have about you?
      * Tell us when you had fun at work
      * Give us an example of problem solving situation on customer service
      * Tell us of a time when you supported a coworker with a difficult decision

Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

I applied sometime in 2014 between October and December. Received an email in February to attend a group interview in Houston, TX at 8:30 a.m. I followed the directions given to arrive and depart the airport in business attire. Luckily I did, because the day of the interview one of the flight attendants said she saw me in baggage claim. Everyone thought I was a flight attendant as well.

I loved the recruiter who I interviewed with! He had such a great personality during the information session. Afterwards, I asked two questions, in which the second question stumped him. I guess it was a good thing, because I made it to the second round.

I then interviewed with one of the HR recruiters, they asked me three questions, then said they'll email me within a week. Out of about 30 applicants, only 7 were selected for the second round.

Unfortunately, only 1 out of 7 was given an offer. I think I would've gotten an offer if I answered one question correctly. Which was, why do you want to be a flight attendant? I realized afterwards, I didn't mention anything about the company. So, now i know how to prepare better next time I apply.

Great experience nonetheless! Met and exchanged information with 2 amazing people on the plane to Houston, and 3 others during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?
      Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
      What would make you stand out as a flight attendant?

Answer Question