United Airlines Flight Attendant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied Oct 27, got an email on Nov 21 saying that they had received my application and are now reviewing it. Then Nov 25 I got email inviting me to the F2F interview
I got there super early around 7:40. (I left my hotel at 7:30ish so it’s really close by from Ramada) Walked into a room with the other candidates. We chatted and they told us the process will start at 8:30 when they collect our resume, gave you a blue sheet to read about the position, confirmed your returning flight and gave you a name tag. Then after a short moment someone gave us a slide show explaining basic stuff about being a flight attendant, like being on reserve and the pay…etc.
After that the recruiters came in and called people out one by one. Meanwhile someone else came in to answer questions. I asked ALOT of questions but not to impress anyone I just really wanted to know about the position. The guy who answered my questions wasn’t even part of the recruiters so you don’t have to really worry about ‘oh if i don’t ask question i won’t have a chance’. There was about 30 of us, not too terribly much but honestly there were some people I already knew weren’t going to get hired, based on their way of talking (try not to sound cool or show off-y, I think that’s a horrible thing to do.) There were people who had been flight attendants before or currently working for small airlines, doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have a good attitude, really. Chat with people, I got lucky I met some people on my way to the training center. Just be yourself, and if you don’t really want this job, don’t apply, it’s that simple.
It took them a while to call me name. BY THE WAY they told us they are doing things a little bit differently now, I agree it’s really nothing like what I read on here before. Instead of starting with one on one I got two recruiters interviewing me. They were SUPER NICE, I mean I don’t just tell you people are nice I’m not that kind of person, but these two recruiters were something else. One of them is a domestic lady, the other one was an international guy. They asked me a lot about scenarios, I will post as many questions as I remembered. They started with asking me about who I am, then moved on to reading an announcement out loud, it’s one that’s telling people on board that they need to fill out customs forms. Don’t be nervous just take 30 seconds read it over in your mind, then start. I would say I was in the room for maybe 20+ minutes. At the end they told me that would be stepping outside of the room to discuss, meanwhile they wanted me to think of my strongest strength and tell them what it is when they return. They were outside for about 3 minutes, came back to the room, I told them my answer, and they told me to go eat lunch at the airport and be back at 1pm. They just said “we have further questions for you so come back at 1". They sent me to the lobby to wait for the shuttle driver, I got off at terminal E (thats where they drop you off) and I went to the Marriott via the “air train” and I had lunch there.
I think that’s as much as I can offer you all, best of luck!!!

Interview Questions

• -Describe a time where you had to work with a difficult co workers, what did you do?   2 Answers
  • Tell us about a time where you had fun on the job.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you had to make a decision at the job which you wished you would have done differently.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for United Airlines

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

Applied in Oct 2014. United emailed me in December 2014 inviting me to interview Jan 2015. Interview was Jan 2015.

We handed in our resumes, then watched a video about United and did a Q&A session.
    During Q&A, recruiters came in and pulled people out one by one for the face to face interview.

During my interview there was 2 flight attendants asking the questions. I was asked about 10 questions. There were some normal questions, but there were 2 or 3 that were very difficult and stumped me. Just take your time and try to think of an example to give that demonstrates your great customer service skills.
    At the end of the interview they told me to tell them why I am the best candidate and to think about my answer and they would return. They returned, I gave my answer, and told me they would be passing my notes on to the recruiting manager and to wait for a second Interview.

My second interview was with 2 people from inflight recruiting. The questions they asked were easier, and many of them were just a review of the questions I was asked before. They wanted to know if I was ready for the flight attendant lifestyle most of all. This interview was short and at the end they told me they would email me in 5-7 days and sent me home.

I was worried that this meant I didn't get the job because I read that there was 3 steps. They changed the process because I got my phone call the next day and was invited to training!

Good Luck!

Advice:
    -Come prepared with plenty of customer service examples ready to give
    -Have questions ready to ask during the Q&A and also during your interview
    -Research United and be ready to answer "Why United?" Because they ask that...a lot.
    -Rememeber to smile and keep a positive attitude

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

They used Hirevue for the interview. They have questions appear on the screen and then you answer them on video. take the practice questions to get used to the format. also, get in a well lit area and make sure you look like a flight attendant. the interview takes about 15 minutes. They asked 'What is a misconception that customers and coworkers have of you. - 'they think i never have a bad day because I'm always in a good mood, when actually i have bad days just like everyone else.' Keep your answers positive. You want them to see all the good that you have to offer. They asked 'Why do you want to be a flight attendant' - They know you want to travel. Thats also what everyone says... Stand out with a unique reason for wanting this job. 'I love people and have a passion for service. I love adventure and enjoy being able to blah blah blah.' The video interview was like 5 questions, the final one was 'tell us everything you know about united airlines.' They want to see if you are looking for a job or investing in a career. I memorized the wiki page on united. I answered with 'I know that you have hubs in Guam, Tokyo, NYC, DC, Houston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Denver, San Fransisco and LA. I know you are the largest employee owned company in the world. I know that you started in the 1920s as a crop dusting company. I know that you have merged and absorbed tons of airlines over the years including Wisconsin air, Arizona air and most recently continental. I know that you are the largest airline in the world with over 370 destinations. I know you are a founding member of the star alliance with 26 other airlines. (a few other facts) and i finished with 'i know your employees are happy.' I finished the interview and thought i did mediocre of a few of the questions, but felt good about the others. wasn't sure if id hear back.

Got to the willis tower at 8:20am (interview was at 9) made sure i know where i was going, etc. don't me late and get there w enough time to find your way around. there was other candidates hanging out in the lobby so i hung by them. jumped into conversation and they were amazing. Everyone there is wanting to do a good job, so they are all friendly. mix and mingle. it brings the nerves down. We went up and checked in. bring your resume. gave them the resumes, dropped bags and went into a conf room with about 25 people. They talked pay, hours and schedule, location. were all going to san fran right now. and gave time for questions. prepare a question or two. They called us one by one out of the group for our face to face private interview. I was called second our of 25, which was awesome! Got into the room with the nicest 4 people I've ever met. They were so amazing. The lady who was conducting my interview was incredible. I wish she was my mom. They want you to be your best, so they make the interview very calm and friendly. They had me read an announcement that was written on a piece of paper. They don't want you to read it, they want you to perform it. Read it the way the flight attendant on your last flight read it. Then they asked 6 questions.

The last question they say 'were gonna step out of the room for 30 seconds, think of 3 reasons why you would be a good fit.' They asked me to attend another interview with some of the higher-ups in the company. i came back at 12:45 and went into the conf room. There were 5 of us now. I found out then that we had another face to face interview, not a group deal where they offer us jobs. So i sat and talked with the other 4 candidates, got called into the meeting and sat with 3 gentlemen. They said 'the hard part is over, we just wanna get to know you a little better.' They asked me 'Why united over other airlines' I told them 'They are the largest, meaning that they have strong leadership and vision. I want to be part of something great, something i can give my life to. They went from a crop dusting company to the largest airline on earth. that says something. 2. everything I've read, people I've spoken with, say that the employees love united. blah blah.' They asked about my customer service philosophy. I told them that customer service and keeping customers happy is a means to an end. the end goal is making them loyal return customers. My philosophy is to do what it takes to make them continue to choose United. one of my references is a flight attendant, they asked me what he has told me about actually being a flight attendant. i told them he said its great and amazing and awesome, etc. then they sent me out of the room for 2 minutes, talked and called me back in. They asked me if i had any visible tattoos, which i do, and i told them that the policy states that they have to be covered, but are ok. and i have them, but they are not able to be seen. They then told me that id hear in 5-7 days if i was being invited to attend training. training is 5 weeks long and you aren't an official employee until you pass.

Interview Questions

• name a time you had a problem with a customer, what'd you do?   1 Answer
    • name a time when you had an issue with a coworker. how did you handle it, what was the outcome.   1 Answer
    • They asked if I was the lead FA and one of my crew didn't want to do their job, how would i handle it.   1 Answer
    • Name 3 reasons you are the fit for this job   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   2 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

I did horrible on the video interview. It is extremely challenging to talk to a computer and not to a live person. I received the email to do the video interview on June 7th. I did the video interview on June 8th. We are now June 10th and I haven't heard anything back yet. I'm just in limbo right now. I would like to know either way. Just wondering if anyone has done a video interview lately and heard back. Thanks

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was invited to fly to San Francisco to interview a couple of weeks before the interview date. United offers to fly everyone who lives 4 hours away from the nearest interview site but requires those who take the curtesy flight to find their own accommodations. The interview took place at the training center that is only accessible by an employee bus from the airport so I would suggest those who interview to arrive extra early to the airport from their hotels or wherever they are coming from because a lot of people ended up being late to the interview because of the extra time it took to ride the bus to the center. There ended up being about 30 of us in the room while we were waiting to be interviewed and they called us up one person at a time to follow a recruiting agent. We were all interviewed in one big room in separate cubicles so it got a little bit noisy once in a while. The recruiters were extremely nice and the interview was very short. All of the questions I was asked were questions other people posted about here on glassdoor so I would suggest to look over the questions here and practice before the actual interview in order to be more prepared.

Interview Questions

• What is a misconception that customers might have had about you?   Answer Question
    • Flight attendants are required to do a service on all flights. Imagine I was your coworker and we were on a short 35 minute flight and I refused to do service. What would you do?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

Applied online on June 6th
    Completed an online assessment June 6th
    Got a video interview invite on June 7th
    Completed video interview on June 11th
    Got an email today June 15th that I was not selected.
    This was my first FA interview (very nervous)

Interview Questions

• Why you think you would be a good FA for United?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in June 2015.

Interview

From the day I applied online to the day of the group interview, about 2 weeks had passed. I initially completed an on-demand video interview. Two days later I received an invitation to a group interview in Newark, a week later. On the day of the interview you are given a brief introduction to the FA career at United, with an opportunity to ask questions. During the Q&A period, candidates are called by the recruiters for the first interview. The first interview was very relaxed and the recruiter was very hospitable. After the first interview, I waited in a separate room to be called in for the second interview. The second interview was a little more difficult. I was questioned by two senior FAs. Be very careful on how you answer their questions in the second interview. They were looking for people who want to make a real career out of being a FA, and they want to see that you want to spend that time with United. Just a helpful hint, when they step out of the room, show that you are calm and prepared for the FA career through your body language. I think there was a two-way mirror in that room, can't think of any other reason why there would a mirror in that room.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had a difficult interaction with a coworker and/or customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult situation at work?   Answer Question
    • You are the lead FA on a flight. One of the FA refuses to perform the beverage service. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • What do you think will be the most challenging part of becoming a FA/most challenging part of be on reserve?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at United Airlines (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online around the end of May. I got an email inviting me to do a video interview thru HireVue on June 17. They gave me 5 days to complete the interview. I conducted the interview on the 4th day. There were 6 questions. It's just like everyone else stated before. Each question had 30 seconds for prep the 3 minutes to record your response. I'll list the questions below. Prep you your interview. Make sure to look into the camera when you speak. Speak clearly and with inflection. Remember you are wanting to be a flight attendant so let your personality show. I got an email immediately thanking me for taking the video interview. 3 days later I got an email asking me to call United to schedule my face 2 face. Their training sessions are about 30 days after your interviews. If you can make the training, you can interview the next month. Just call and let them know. Everyone is really helpful at United during the process. Going to my f2f soon. Good luck!!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you went above and beyond to help a customer.   Answer Question
    • What makes a great flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • What would your customers and coworkers say about you?   Answer Question
    • What is something your customers and coworkers have a misconception about you?   Answer Question
    • What else if anything would you like for us to know about you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ).

Interview

Interview took around a total of 2 hours.

We were greeted by 2 flight attendants that directed us to a secluded building for Flight Attendant training and interviewing. Handed in our resumes then sat in a room where another Flight Attendant discussed the job and perks as well as answered any questions we had. Gradually they took us in one by one; interviewing us with 2 flight attendants each. Some were dropped back off at the airport after the first interview, but I was offered a second interview with another flight attendant and a rep from human resources. They asked more questions and followed up on previous questions from the first interview. I was told I would hear back from them via email within 5 days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at United Airlines (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got an invitation the same day for a Hirevue interview. I completed the video interview and is now waiting.....The process was very easy but i was nervous in so doing.