United Airlines

United Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015
Updated Mar 3, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines in December 2014.

I applied Oct 27, got an email on Nov 21 saying that they had received my application and are now reviewing it. Then Nov 25 I got email inviting me to the F2F interview
    I got there super early around 7:40. (I left my hotel at 7:30ish so it’s really close by from Ramada) Walked into a room with the other candidates. We chatted and they told us the process will start at 8:30 when they collect our resume, gave you a blue sheet to read about the position, confirmed your returning flight and gave you a name tag. Then after a short moment someone gave us a slide show explaining basic stuff about being a flight attendant, like being on reserve and the pay…etc.
    After that the recruiters came in and called people out one by one. Meanwhile someone else came in to answer questions. I asked ALOT of questions but not to impress anyone I just really wanted to know about the position. The guy who answered my questions wasn’t even part of the recruiters so you don’t have to really worry about ‘oh if i don’t ask question i won’t have a chance’. There was about 30 of us, not too terribly much but honestly there were some people I already knew weren’t going to get hired, based on their way of talking (try not to sound cool or show off-y, I think that’s a horrible thing to do.) There were people who had been flight attendants before or currently working for small airlines, doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have a good attitude, really. Chat with people, I got lucky I met some people on my way to the training center. Just be yourself, and if you don’t really want this job, don’t apply, it’s that simple.
    It took them a while to call me name. BY THE WAY they told us they are doing things a little bit differently now, I agree it’s really nothing like what I read on here before. Instead of starting with one on one I got two recruiters interviewing me. They were SUPER NICE, I mean I don’t just tell you people are nice I’m not that kind of person, but these two recruiters were something else. One of them is a domestic lady, the other one was an international guy. They asked me a lot about scenarios, I will post as many questions as I remembered. They started with asking me about who I am, then moved on to reading an announcement out loud, it’s one that’s telling people on board that they need to fill out customs forms. Don’t be nervous just take 30 seconds read it over in your mind, then start. I would say I was in the room for maybe 20+ minutes. At the end they told me that would be stepping outside of the room to discuss, meanwhile they wanted me to think of my strongest strength and tell them what it is when they return. They were outside for about 3 minutes, came back to the room, I told them my answer, and they told me to go eat lunch at the airport and be back at 1pm. They just said “we have further questions for you so come back at 1". They sent me to the lobby to wait for the shuttle driver, I got off at terminal E (thats where they drop you off) and I went to the Marriott via the “air train” and I had lunch there.
    I think that’s as much as I can offer you all, best of luck!!!

Interview Questions
    • -Describe a time where you had to work with a difficult co workers, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you had fun on the job.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision at the job which you wished you would have done differently.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at United Airlines in January 2015.

Just had my interview today (Jan. 15, 2015). They completely changed the interview process from the previous years. It lasted a whole 2 hours at the most. When we got there we mingled and then they introduced themselves to us and talked about what the flight attendant position entailed. Pretty much the same as all the other interviews. Then, they did a question and answer session for us to ask any questions we might have. While this was going on, they pulled us out for a 2 on 1 interview. They were both very nice. I had done a lot of preparing so none of the questions they asked me were a surprise. They started off by having me read an announcement from a card about giving out documents to pax and making sure they had everything ready for customs. Then, went into the questions. They ended with asking me to think of 3 things that best describe me. They left the room and came back within 2 mins.

These are the questions they asked me:
    - Tell me about a time there was a conflict between you and a coworker.
    - Have you ever come into contact with an angry passenger? what did you do and how did they respond?
    - Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant for United?
    - Explain a stressful situation that you think a flight attendant would encounter? how did you handle it?
    - Describe a time at work when your normal duties changed. What did you do to adapt?
    - What are the three best qualities you could bring to United?
    - Those of us who are interviewing you will be flying with you today - we are all senior flight attendants, but you as a new flight attendant will be the LEAD flight attendant (i.e. supervisor). We refuse to work - no matter what you say, we will not help you. How would you handle the situation?
    - Is there anything not on your application that you would like us to know?
    - What is a misconception people may have about you?
    - Tell me about a time when you made a decision at work that you regret or that you wish you had done differently.
    - How much do you know about being "on reserve"
    - Tell me about at time when you had fun at work
    - Tell me about a time when you faced a change in work and how did you adapt to this change? (This could be with policy also)

Those are all the questions I remembered. They will send out emails within 5-7 days to let us know if we got the job or not. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time at work when there was a change, and how did you adapt?
      Is there anything not on the application that you would like us to know?

View Answers (2)

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

Applied in Oct 2014. United emailed me in December 2014 inviting me to interview Jan 2015. Interview was Jan 2015.

We handed in our resumes, then watched a video about United and did a Q&A session.
    During Q&A, recruiters came in and pulled people out one by one for the face to face interview.

During my interview there was 2 flight attendants asking the questions. I was asked about 10 questions. There were some normal questions, but there were 2 or 3 that were very difficult and stumped me. Just take your time and try to think of an example to give that demonstrates your great customer service skills.
    At the end of the interview they told me to tell them why I am the best candidate and to think about my answer and they would return. They returned, I gave my answer, and told me they would be passing my notes on to the recruiting manager and to wait for a second Interview.

My second interview was with 2 people from inflight recruiting. The questions they asked were easier, and many of them were just a review of the questions I was asked before. They wanted to know if I was ready for the flight attendant lifestyle most of all. This interview was short and at the end they told me they would email me in 5-7 days and sent me home.

I was worried that this meant I didn't get the job because I read that there was 3 steps. They changed the process because I got my phone call the next day and was invited to training!

Good Luck!

Advice:
    -Come prepared with plenty of customer service examples ready to give
    -Have questions ready to ask during the Q&A and also during your interview
    -Research United and be ready to answer "Why United?" Because they ask that...a lot.
    -Rememeber to smile and keep a positive attitude

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

I applied sometime in 2014 between October and December. Received an email in February to attend a group interview in Houston, TX at 8:30 a.m. I followed the directions given to arrive and depart the airport in business attire. Luckily I did, because the day of the interview one of the flight attendants said she saw me in baggage claim. Everyone thought I was a flight attendant as well.

I loved the recruiter who I interviewed with! He had such a great personality during the information session. Afterwards, I asked two questions, in which the second question stumped him. I guess it was a good thing, because I made it to the second round.

I then interviewed with one of the HR recruiters, they asked me three questions, then said they'll email me within a week. Out of about 30 applicants, only 7 were selected for the second round.

Unfortunately, only 1 out of 7 was given an offer. I think I would've gotten an offer if I answered one question correctly. Which was, why do you want to be a flight attendant? I realized afterwards, I didn't mention anything about the company. So, now i know how to prepare better next time I apply.

Great experience nonetheless! Met and exchanged information with 2 amazing people on the plane to Houston, and 3 others during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself?
      Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
      What would make you stand out as a flight attendant?

Answer Question

Flight At Ten Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at United Airlines in March 2015.

group discussion, then they pulled people out one by one. i was lucky enough to get invited to a sound round of interviews. that was a 2 on 1 where they asked about my customer service and why i wanted to be a flight attendant. then they asked a few questions about myself and to describe what i like to do in my free time. i was then invited to come to training in 3 weeks!!!

Customer Service Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

I applied online they emailed me back requesting a phone interview I then completed the phone interview and was called for a face to face interview I'm waiting on the interview face to face to see if I got the job

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

Very laid back, the questions are as people stated they would be. Slideshow was short but informative to the point than we did 1 on 1 interviews which was personal. They did a lot of writing. U just answer the questions and read the small announcement they give you.

Interview Questions

They email u and let u know if you got it or not.

Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

Process was quick got back to me withing a week about a phone interview. It was pretty broad the questions you would expect. You should definitely watch some of their united employee videos about what it means to work there

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at United Airlines.

They only gave me 1 interview , but they have another group at 1... does this mean that I didn't get the job? The people were nice. They said they would contact everyone within a week.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United Airlines in February 2015.

Online Application - 10 year work history, education, skills, etc.

Email with Face to face interview offer. Call in to schedule date from a small list of available dates.

Air travel to Houston, TX provided by Company day before interview. There were about 40 people there. When the session started we were called back to sign in and turn in a current resume. Followed by a short company video and question/answer session with a senior and junior F/A. They told us that they would be contacting us with a CJO or TBNT one week after the interview date, and that as soon as this interview was done we would return immediately to the airport. This turned out to be a lie. We were then called back for a 2:1 interviews.

The interview consisted of reading a inflight announcement pertaining to customs forms and procedures. Then they tag-teamed asking questions about why I wanted to be a flight attendant and what I knew of the job being on reserve. They also asked about previous experiences dealing with difficult managers, coworkers, and customers.

I found out later that they did hold back just 4 people for second interviews and those who were offered jobs were contacted right away. I don't know why they felt the need to string the rest of us along for a week just to reject us. Flying all of those people across the country and some from outside the country just to take 4 out of 40 is so wasteful, not to mention callous. Those seats could have gone to a paying customer or current employee traveling on standby. Instead they got bumped by someone who was never getting the job anyway. On the other hand they are throwing away so many talented and qualified people, while wasting their time and energy in the process! In the end they have nothing to show for it. The interview itself was good, but their screening process prior to that point is lacking or non-existent.