United Airlines

United Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Dec 5, 2014
Updated Dec 5, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines in December 2014.

I applied Oct 27, got an email on Nov 21 saying that they had received my application and are now reviewing it. Then Nov 25 I got email inviting me to the F2F interview
    I got there super early around 7:40. (I left my hotel at 7:30ish so it’s really close by from Ramada) Walked into a room with the other candidates. We chatted and they told us the process will start at 8:30 when they collect our resume, gave you a blue sheet to read about the position, confirmed your returning flight and gave you a name tag. Then after a short moment someone gave us a slide show explaining basic stuff about being a flight attendant, like being on reserve and the pay…etc.
    After that the recruiters came in and called people out one by one. Meanwhile someone else came in to answer questions. I asked ALOT of questions but not to impress anyone I just really wanted to know about the position. The guy who answered my questions wasn’t even part of the recruiters so you don’t have to really worry about ‘oh if i don’t ask question i won’t have a chance’. There was about 30 of us, not too terribly much but honestly there were some people I already knew weren’t going to get hired, based on their way of talking (try not to sound cool or show off-y, I think that’s a horrible thing to do.) There were people who had been flight attendants before or currently working for small airlines, doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have a good attitude, really. Chat with people, I got lucky I met some people on my way to the training center. Just be yourself, and if you don’t really want this job, don’t apply, it’s that simple.
    It took them a while to call me name. BY THE WAY they told us they are doing things a little bit differently now, I agree it’s really nothing like what I read on here before. Instead of starting with one on one I got two recruiters interviewing me. They were SUPER NICE, I mean I don’t just tell you people are nice I’m not that kind of person, but these two recruiters were something else. One of them is a domestic lady, the other one was an international guy. They asked me a lot about scenarios, I will post as many questions as I remembered. They started with asking me about who I am, then moved on to reading an announcement out loud, it’s one that’s telling people on board that they need to fill out customs forms. Don’t be nervous just take 30 seconds read it over in your mind, then start. I would say I was in the room for maybe 20+ minutes. At the end they told me that would be stepping outside of the room to discuss, meanwhile they wanted me to think of my strongest strength and tell them what it is when they return. They were outside for about 3 minutes, came back to the room, I told them my answer, and they told me to go eat lunch at the airport and be back at 1pm. They just said “we have further questions for you so come back at 1". They sent me to the lobby to wait for the shuttle driver, I got off at terminal E (thats where they drop you off) and I went to the Marriott via the “air train” and I had lunch there.
    I think that’s as much as I can offer you all, best of luck!!!

Interview Questions
    • -Describe a time where you had to work with a difficult co workers, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you had fun on the job.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to make a decision at the job which you wished you would have done differently.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at United Airlines in November 2014.

I applied on October 23rd and had my interview on November 11th in Houston. They told me to be there earlier than 830AM. I suggest you get there by 8AM. I suggest looking the part. Dress as if you are already a flight attendant. As soon as you walk in, make sure to introduce yourself to everyone. Be yourself. Tell the others interviewing your name and smile. There were 14 people in my interview group. They were all so nice. Talk to people. It really helps if you're anxious. The interview process began at 850ish. They play an intro video and answer questions then they begin calling people back for their individual face to face interview. During this time if you're still in the room waiting, continue talking to the people around you. When my name got called I was interviewed by two recruiters. They were so kind and made me feel at ease. They had me read an announcement out loud and asked me about ten questions. Most of the questions they asked were mentioned on this website in previous interview posts so look at those and be ready. Don't sound like a robot when you're giving your answers. Like I said, be yourself. They really just want to know if you're going to be able to do all the duties required of you. suggest going to the United website and thoroughly looking over the requirements and what it takes to be a flight attendant. (Incorporate that information in your answers somehow). Near the end of the interview, the interviewers stepped outside to talk and when they came back in they invited me to the second interview which they called a panel interview. They told me to come back at 2pm. I came back at 2 and there were nine people from my group remaining. We got called back one by one and got interviewed by two hiring managers. I got called back and asked a few more questions. They were really just asking questions to see if I was sure I could handle the lifestyle and stress of being a flight attendant. At the end of the interview, they said they'd look over my paperwork and get back to me in a few days. (This threw me off because I read on here that if you don't get invited to training on the spot then you won't get invited at all). I was bummed leaving but still kept a smile on my face and thanked them for their time. I got an email today from United inviting me to training so don't panic if you don't get invited to training on the spot. They have changed their interview process. I hope this post helped. The best thing you can do is be friendly and be yourself. I had such a great time interacting with my interview group and my recruiters. It was a great experience. I pray everything goes well for all of you who are interviewing. May God's favor be upon you!

Interview Questions
    • What do you think will be the most challenging part of being a flight attendant?   Answer Question
    • Name a time at work when you did something you regretted.   Answer Question
    • What is your greatest strength?   Answer Question
    If they think you'll be a good asset to the company, you will get invited to training where you have to pass that successfully before becoming an actual employee of United Airlines.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United Airlines.

fill out application on line, then if they like you they will fly you out to Houston, you come in the room watch the video and then you are called back for a 2:1 interview, if they like you they tell you to go back to the airport have lunch and come back for second interview.

Flight Attendant Interview

Invited to interview in Houston Texas. Start off with company presentation and talking with fellow candidates. Remember to smile. Although the interview process normally consists of a three-step process, the interviews that day were one face-to-face. You are then told to wait for a week for results.

Ramp Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines.

Applied online. Received call within a week and did a short, 15 min phone interview. Was flown in for interview with local management and union reps. Passing that, was flown out for a physical. Began work within 6 or so weeks of initial application.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you were involved with or witnessed an unsafe act; how did you handle it?   View Answer
    No negotiation- it was a union job with set conditions and compensation.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines.

Used to work for this company before the extreme cost cutting measures. Interview was fairly basic and centered around sales knowledge. This was "back in the day" so much may have changed. Be prepared to discuss sales knowledge and negotiating skills in detail. Prepare in advance to figure out how/why a corporation would want to preferentially fly on United and be prepared to work that into a simulated sales pitch.

Interview Questions
    • "Sell me this pen". The VP handed me his pen and asked me to sell it to him.   View Answer
    It was United. There was no negotiation.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United Airlines.

I applied online for a mechanical engineering co-op. After applying online I received a call to schedule a over the phone interview. The phone interview was simple and they just asked behavioral questions. A week after the phone interview I scheduled for a Skype interview and its was a bit more difficult than the previous interview. There were a lot of questions about teamwork and they were all behavioral questions. The interviewer was very nice and down to earth, he also answered all of my questions. A week later I got an offer via email.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give me an example of a life hack that you have learned that has made your life easier.   Answer Question
    Nonnegotiable

Service Engineer Interview

process took about a month, applied online, then I received an email to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview was very basic, questions about you and about the company. Then, I was selected for face to face, interviewers were very good and friendly mostly behavioral with a little technical.

salary is non negotiable

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines in November 2014.

applied online on the United website. got email from HR about 2 weeks later and was given a interview on dec 3th 2014. I'm waiting for that big day to fly to Huston, and I'm a little bit nervous but that fine, so that motivate me to prepare myself and do some research, and I Can tell glassdoor is helping me a lot to do my homework. Wish me luck.

SummerEnterprise Optimization Group Interview

The entire process takes about more than two months. There will be Three Rounds interview. One take home test, one telephone interview, one on site interview. The first two interview are easy. But the on site interview requires two exams. each takes about one hour. Although they are basic statistical questions and optimization problems, you need to carefully prepare for that.

Interview Questions
    • In the final interview, they ask to take exams. Most are statistical and optimization problems.   Answer Question