United Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

applied online. received email invitation for houston interview within 6 hours. called the dedicated reservation number and scheduled interview date and flight arrangements for the next week. I was pleasantly surprised by how fast everything was organized.
    Arrived at designated interview site a bit early, as did everyone else. everyone looked great: well-fitting business attire. (mostly black or dark navy, although one woman looked fabulous in peach trousers and a white jacket.) Had resume and references ready to go.
    We were about 65: a very diverse group and that made me happy to see! Standard Q&A session during the wait. The interviewers were all flight attendants and came into the room and called us out in groups of 6. First round was a one-on-one. Second round was with a couple: upper management, not HR for hire types. Then thank you and on your way.
    Because I was selected for a second round, the 6 of us remaining compared notes on the first round; identical experiences. Read a public announcement, a few STAR questions, a role play, anything else you'd like to tell us. Very straightforward and low pressure.
    Luckily 4 of us from the 2nd round were together on the bus back to the airport and realized that none of us had similar 2nd round experiences. One was asked exclusively about his tatoos and his modern look. One was asked about relocation and given another situational question. I was asked why I wanted to do this and what did customer service look like. 2 of us had to stand in the hall during some deliberations, the other 2 did not. Then a weirdly vibed "thank you and goodbye" and off we went.
    None of us received any word/email that day. The evening after one of the young women had received an email inviting her to training.

Interview Questions

• You're working in a team and one of the members does not do his part. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • Discuss a scenario in which you had to deal with a difficult person on the job?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation in which you had to deliver customer service above and beyond normal?   Answer Question
    • what is a misconception people may have about you?   Answer Question
    • The flight is 35 minutes and your co-worker refuses to do the beverage service. What do you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Just be yourself! I just got home today and I am very nervous because I heard if you get a email that mean you didn't get the job�� so I am praying. Short Short interview! You are only there for 20mins. You read an Annonucment off a card and answer some behavior questions

Interview Questions

• What is a misconception people have about you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Like some I feel like the interview process was rushed the day I went I don't know maybe it was me. I probably will apply again next year see what happens. good luck!

P.S. The staff and the candidates were very fake once our interview was over no one spoke to each other hmmm...

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

Was basically what everyone has said before. Sit in the room wait for your name to be called. I then got a 1 on 1 interview, i was asked backed to interview for a team of united employees and I found out the following day

United Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online and shortly got invited to a group session interview at the Houston Marriott North. United provided the round tickets from LGA-IAH which I can think is great. You are responsible for your hotel the day before since the group interview starts at 8:30am. I've met a lot of nice people at the session from different professional backgrounds and many current flight attendants for smaller regional carriers, as myself. Everyone had one thing in common: Everyone was dress for the part, Excited to be there and hoping to get the job. After you get a name tag and you hand out your resume, you get a introduction about the company, pay, reserve and their bases but they do stress the fact that most likely you will be based in SFO (San Francisco) and you will be on Reserve (on call) for a few years then you are call in by a recruiter United Flight Attendant that will be doing your 1:1 interview. First , they make you read a public announcement and then ask like 5 customer service questions. All of my answers where based on my experience as a flight attendant since I've been one for a regional airlines for over 15 years. I thought I did extremely well and found the questions very easy. I also did some research about the process here on Glassdoor and the questions were exactly as other mentioned here on previous posts. The 1:1 probably took 12 mins. Right after the last question and after the recruiter (A flight Attendant) took some notes he told me to expect an email within 5-7 days and wish me good luck (knowing I was not moving to the next step of tge process). I took the shuttle to the airport around 11:15am even thought my return flight was not booked until 5:45pm....right there I knew I didn't get to the second interview and I was not getting anywhere. The second interview happens that same day across the room. That is why they book a late flight for you..even thought they say during the introduction that they do so in case you encounter any delays. On the shuttle to the airport I met 3 others flight attendants for regional carriers that as myself didn't make it to the second interview and were told to wait for the "email" lol
    I am going to be honest...Once I was sent back to the airport and was not even consider for a second interview after answering all the questions promptly and having over 15 years of experience as a flight attendant I was devastated. I did not expect a free pass or special treatment but it amazes me how these "flight attendants"(recruiting is just a temporary special assignment for them. They are still active FA)all of a sudden assume a corporate position, and don't appreciate or take into consideration that your job description is the same as theirs and that regardless of the size of the airplane that you fly the duties and responsibilities of a FA are exactly the same. We all have to follow the same Federal Aviation Regulations. In my case, I fly for a regional airlines but I will like to expand my wings and go over to a major airlines. This is why I applied for United but I never thought it was going to be this hard. I actually have more years of experience as a flight attendant than the guy that interview me. Hopefully, he will never have to be interview by a colleague and not be given the opportunity. You live and learn and thank God I currently have a job as a FA which is my passion. It was a bad experience for me but it doesn't mean its going to be a bad one for you and I hope everyone the best!
    Conclusion: Just as everyone posted earlier...if you only get the 1:1 interview and you are sent back to the airport and you are not given a second interview that same day...that means you will not be getting an job offer and will get a rejection letter by email within 5-7 days. I don't understand why the can't tell you there and be so sneaky about it and give people hope. I find that misleading and unprofessional. Anyways, I'm still waiting for my rejection letter by email! Lol

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where u had a conflict with a co-worker?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

You walk in and chat in the lobby of the Marriott for a little while, and soon a hotel rep guides you to a room where you'll sit and mingle and hear a few facts about the airline for a few hours until they call your name for a one on one. When I was finally called, I went into a room where others were seated at their stations with a recruiter, and really you just need to tune everyone else out.This is where you need to forget anyone is even in the room. I was asked a series of questions, and honestly, they weren't that difficult. As long as you have a few stories to share, you're fine. It was actually pretty laid back.

Interview Questions

• Role play: United's policy is to serve on every flight. You are the lead flight attendant and we are on a flight from Houston to Austin. It's 35 minutes. I refuse to serve. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you and a co-worker didn't get along.   Answer Question
    • What is a misconception a customer would have about you?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is a stressful situation a flight attendant would encounter?   Answer Question
    • I am going to leave the room. While I'm gone, I want you to think of 3 reasons why you would be an asset to United Airlines.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

It was a group session, everyone came in and learned some information. They called us out one by one in another room to do an interview. It took 30 mins then they send you to the airport. It was very judgmental on looks and answers. They choose their people right when they meet you.

Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at United Airlines (El Paso, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

They asked 5 questions. Mostly what everyone is writing about. I didn't prepare at all thinking it wouldn't be that hard since I had just completed a video interview for Delta. Please whatever you do, prepare for it. Take your time and don't do the interview the next day it was sent to you. You have 5 days to complete it, take all the days you need to to get yourself ready for it. That is my advice for anyone reading this.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing that people have a misconception of you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Same as everyone else prior explained. I did not get invited to stay for a second, and was told I would be receiving an email within 7 days. They were very friendly, and easy to speak with. They're looking for your personality to come through in the interview.

Interview Questions

• describe an interaction you had with a problem customer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Interview was held 4/20/2015 in Houston Texas.
    We had a very large group of candidates which is why we only had on interview.
    There was an overview of the position and the airline.
    There are sending eveyone to SFO.
    Than there was one on one interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is a misconception that customers may have of you?

They will put you in a scenerio, as a FA and request your reaction.

What challenges do you think a FA may encounter?

Answer Question