United Airlines

United Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014
Updated Oct 14, 2014

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied on line. I received an email to call for an in person interview. The interview process was a long day including three different interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you see another employee being dishonest?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Tis job is great for those who love to work with the public. Hiring is standard interviewing process. You have to study city and country codes during training and the restmis fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations as everyone starts at a set rate.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines.

First I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and soon after the flew me to Houston for an in-person interview with the manager and another two members of the development team. They asked me several technical questions and asked me to solve some problems on the white board. My first impression is that the group was culturally diverse, which makes it very interesting as you can learn even more on your career as well as about other cultures around the world.

At the end of the technical interview we talked about the flying benefits and they shared some experiences about flying overseas to see their families and about going around the world visiting places. It was a nice interview.

After that I had a 1:1 interview with the manager about salary expectations, he asked me how much I was currently earning and how much I wanted.

Then I flew back home. They called me back 3 weeks later with an offer.

They gave a full relocation package and 3 weeks later I moved to Houston.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me some tough SQL questions that I had to solve on the white board.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the salary a little bit.

FP&A Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines.

I first met with United representatives at a career fair and shared my resume. The first part of the process was a ~20min phone interview. This asked basic questions about leadership experience and classes taken. Then I was invited for an onsite interview. This consisted of a 10min casual conversation, then both an analytical thinking test and a computer programming competency. The there was a ~20 min case question followed by a ~10min chat with a senior manager.

Interview Questions
    • Interpreting psuedocode on the computer programming test.   Answer Question
    No real negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines in February 2014.

It is the same as described before. They will put a disclaimer out there saying that it isn't whats been described online and this is not true. Be friendly and extra talkative to the main speaker, and make sure you mingle.

Flight Operations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at United Airlines.

I was contacted after submitting an application online by the intern hiring manager. He gave me a brief description of the process to bring me down to Houston for an interview. A day later I received my flight information and flew down to Houston. After arriving I met the hiring manager and went to take a drug test screen. After the drug test I was sat down for a short interview. The interview was very relaxed and I felt very comfortable talking to the intern hiring manager and his friend who was a fellow pilot.

Interview Questions
    • What is the worst situation you have encountered flying?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at United Airlines.

The process starts with a written test that is quite simple but requires about 10 hours to solve and write. I am still not sure what were the right solutions for some problems (they are written in business language), but guess I got good score.

The phone interview was quite easy. The interviewer was from my country, and we could communicate in our own language. We went through my CV/experience, then I was asked several questions that would be typical for an introductory course in my field. I prepared some questions to ask about the job, but we did not have time left. In particular, I wanted to know what kind of problems the group solves.

For the onsite interview, I had written test (with several other candidates in one room - did feel like a college exam). The written test again was quite fuzzy, but this is probably how everything works there.

The people are quite nice and relaxed, many wear jeans. There is a choice of coffee or water in the bistro.

The person I talked to was very friendly. However, he was from another group and could not explain what I will be doing. The cases I was solving also did not help me much in clarifying it. But this is not my concern, bc this is a short internship. I also got a feeling that the interviewer does not know much in my field - he confused correlation with independence and struggled with understanding the difference between weak and strong laws of large numbers.

My general impression is that they are concerned more about choosing right candidate (whatever they mean by this) for them instead of informing the candidate about the position.

Interview Questions
    • Question about variables transformation in the regression.   Answer Question

Various Positions Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United Airlines.

All interviews typically have two interviewers who alternate asking approx, 6 behavioral questions. The expectation is that all answers will be given in the STAR format in which you should describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Describe the actions you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Then finally, provide the results. (i.e. What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn?)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with a decision your boss made. What did you do?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when a team you were leading got off task. What did you do to get them back on task?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time a customer gave you an unreasonable demand. How did you respond?   Answer Question
    • Tell me how your team would describe your management style.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to coach a lower performing employee. Did the employee's performance get better?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at United Airlines.

Interview process was half day long. Was given a general overview of what it would entail regarding schedule (flexible) and relocation. Had the feeling that the staff were keeping a watchful eye on what has happening in the room when they weren't there - was it quiet? Were people interacting? I found the 2nd interviewer repeating some of the questions of the 1st, and then asking more difficult questions. The first seemed like more of a get to know you and the 2nd was more like a how do you handle situations. The 3rd was a reminder about relocation, scheduling, and anything that might prohibit you from getting the job - like don't waste our time and yours if you aren't going to qualify. Everyone was very nice and professional. It was not grueling but I felt I was very prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time at work when you acted in a way that wasn't really you.   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Nothing hard, three interviews, everybody's friendly there. Just be prepared.