United Airlines

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview Details – The process starts with a written test that is quite simple but requires about 10 hours to solve and write. I am still not sure what were the right solutions for some problems (they are written in business language), but guess I got good score.

The phone interview was quite easy. The interviewer was from my country, and we could communicate in our own language. We went through my CV/experience, then I was asked several questions that would be typical for an introductory course in my field. I prepared some questions to ask about the job, but we did not have time left. In particular, I wanted to know what kind of problems the group solves.

For the onsite interview, I had written test (with several other candidates in one room - did feel like a college exam). The written test again was quite fuzzy, but this is probably how everything works there.

The people are quite nice and relaxed, many wear jeans. There is a choice of coffee or water in the bistro.

The person I talked to was very friendly. However, he was from another group and could not explain what I will be doing. The cases I was solving also did not help me much in clarifying it. But this is not my concern, bc this is a short internship. I also got a feeling that the interviewer does not know much in my field - he confused correlation with independence and struggled with understanding the difference between weak and strong laws of large numbers.

My general impression is that they are concerned more about choosing right candidate (whatever they mean by this) for them instead of informing the candidate about the position.

Interview Question – Question about variables transformation in the regression.   Answer Question

Various Positions Interview

Various Positions

I applied online and interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview Details – All interviews typically have two interviewers who alternate asking approx, 6 behavioral questions. The expectation is that all answers will be given in the STAR format in which you should describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Describe the actions you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Then finally, provide the results. (i.e. What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn?)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with a decision your boss made. What did you do?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a time when a team you were leading got off task. What did you do to get them back on task?   Answer Question
  • Tell us about a time a customer gave you an unreasonable demand. How did you respond?   Answer Question
  • Tell me how your team would describe your management style.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had to coach a lower performing employee. Did the employee's performance get better?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview Details – Interview process was half day long. Was given a general overview of what it would entail regarding schedule (flexible) and relocation. Had the feeling that the staff were keeping a watchful eye on what has happening in the room when they weren't there - was it quiet? Were people interacting? I found the 2nd interviewer repeating some of the questions of the 1st, and then asking more difficult questions. The first seemed like more of a get to know you and the 2nd was more like a how do you handle situations. The 3rd was a reminder about relocation, scheduling, and anything that might prohibit you from getting the job - like don't waste our time and yours if you aren't going to qualify. Everyone was very nice and professional. It was not grueling but I felt I was very prepared.

Interview Question – Name a time at work when you acted in a way that wasn't really you.   Answer Question

Interviewed at United Airlines

Interview Details – Nothing hard, three interviews, everybody's friendly there. Just be prepared.

Interview Question – why do you want be a flight attendant?   Answer Question

Manager, Mileage Plus Interview

Manager, Mileage Plus
Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by HR for phone screening. Gained face to face with VP. Very unfocused interviewer, distracted, and not organized. Interviewer actually took up most of the time bragging about their accomplishments in previous positions both internally and externally. I left with the impression that there wasn't actually a position to fill.

Interview Question – Ha, there weren't any difficult questions, in fact there weren't many questions asked at all!   Answer Question

CSA Interview

CSA
Headquarters, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Airlines in February 2010.

Interview Details – apply on line. Receive interview date via phone call. attend group interview. get approved same day. fly to headquarters for second interview and medical physical. Wait for final approval and vetting. Will be called for hire date.

Interview Question – Must lift 75lbs weight suitcase.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – simply wait for approval after vetting

Continuous Improvement/Enterprise Optimization Intern Interview

Continuous Improvement/Enterprise Optimization Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview Details – I met United at a career fair at my school. I interviewed at their HQ with 3 people. The first interview I had that day was mainly about my background, gathering why I had an interest in the company, etc. The second interview was more about how my skills, experience and interests were directly applicable to the job. The third interview was a case study. The toughest part of the interview is that it is hard to gauge whether or not you said something that they wanted to hear; the first interview was a nice way of easing into things and more casual, but for the second and third they were very neutral in giving you feedback from your answers. All in all, I'd say it is neither the easiest nor toughest interview to overcome; just come with some proper preparation (although, I had never actually "prepared" for a case study question before, and did fine by winging it and applying my technical knowledge).

Interview Question – An example of one of the 'experience' questions is describing a time when you had to deal with a very large set of data.   Answer Question

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

Revenue Management Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview Details – Applied through campus website and had first round on campus and second round at willis tower.

Interview Question – Pick a current event that you think affected the airline and explain what impacts you think it would make on pricing and sales numbers.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at United Airlines in November 2013.

Interview Details – Just like most previous sharing, I had 3 round of interviews. First two were 1:1 and the 3rd was with HR and the main hiring manager. There were only 9 of us that day and 2 got accepted. I am not going through the details because you can find most of it from previous sharing.

Some of the questions I had:
- Read part of the inflight announcement
- Tell me a time you deal with angry customer.
- Tell me a time you had conflict with your coworker
- Why flight attendant
- Any concern for becoming a flight attendant
- Finish the sentence: You don't like it when customers ........
- Anything you want to mention that is not on your resume
- How much you know about "on reserve"
- Is "on reserve" a problem for you
- Are you able to relocate
- Tell me a time you have fun at work
- Tell me a time you face a change in your work
- THE MOST IMPORTANT SCENARIO QUESTION:
   you do and say
After all these question, I had the chance to make it to the 3rd round. Basically in 3rd round they just need to see you in person and see if you are really as good as what the previous interviewers described.

My suggestion:
- WENT THROUGH THE LAST COUPLE PAGES OF SHARING ON GLASSDOOR
You will see most of the question I had were from their previous sharing. So I can say there were no surprise question for me. Be well prepared for those questions and worry about language test later. They do the language test after you pass all 3 round interviews.
- ACT LIKE A FLIGHT ATTENDANT
Smile, friendly, willing to share your story, open to make friends, be polite.
These are so basic I think everyone knows, but still I met people not smiling and only given short answers in our casual chatting. They are watching who can blend in well.
- DRESS LIKE A FLIGHT ATTENDANT
I had a black suit jacket and skirt with a white shirt and black heels, very classic office lady look. And of course made my hair a bun. In order to show some difference and make good impression, I add a green scarf under my collar. I met 3 people that day in hotel and in the training center thought I am ready to fly. When I told them I was just here for the interview, they all congrats me on getting the job because I already look like one. It just made me really confident that day!
- CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCES IS NOT WEIGHT 100%
I had limited customer service experiences, I know it and the interviewers knew it too. I think they like my answers and know my attitude, so still they provide me the chance to learn and grow with them. So be well prepared for those questions.

This was my first interview for flight attendant in my life, hope the sharing can help with all others who are working on it. Just be yourself and don't be nervous, it's a great experience and you have nothing to lose. Good luck! :)

Interview Question – As the chief flight attendant today, one of your crew member refuse to serve, what would
   you do and say
  Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

Interviewed at United Airlines

Interview Details – Very poor interviewers. Just asked scripted behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Behavioral questions. Tells you nothing about the company or the position. Ridiculous!   Answer Question