United Airlines Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly quickly. I applied online and a few days later I received an email for a video interview. The video interview is a total of 6 questions. All the questions they ask are on this website. Make sure you're dressed as if you were going on a F2F interview from the waist up. I don't recommend anyone to do the video from their cell phone. They give you time to practice and also give you 5 days to complete the video interview. Glassdoor prepared me for the questions. Everything pertains to customer service. Once I submitted the video interview I waited 48hrs and received another email for a F2F interview. I live near a HUB airport so it was easy for me but if you don't live near a HUB they will fly you out (FOR FREE). I recommend for you to arrive an hour before the interview and get to know the other applicants. Once it's time they bring you to another facility and start the interview process one by one. It's a bit nerve wrecking because you have no clue who made it to the 2nd round of interviews. The 1st interview is kind of long but very detailed. Be yourself and just give life experiences and remember EVERYTHING PRETAINS TO FRIENDLY CUSTOMER SERVICE. Be yourself, professional, friendly, and available. The 2nd round you interview with two top dogs of the company. This is your make or break moment. They ask you 2-3 more questions then they step out to discuss whether to offer you the job or thank you for your time. In my experience they offered me the job and had me got to medical for a drug test, hearing test, and vision test. Bring your passport, a copy of your resume, a letter of recommendation, and an ID (DL). I wish you luck and I hope this helps you.

Interview Questions

• What is a misconception a customer may have of you?   7 Answers
    • Are you willing to relocate if needed?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online in early July and received an invitation to the video interview after about a week. Less than a week after completing it, I was invited to the face-to-face interview in Houston. I interviewed the week of July 27th, 2015. About 25 applicants were there, and all of the recruiters were active flight attendants. They showed us some slides and a video, then took questions as recruiters pulled people out for interviews. They told everyone to bring their luggage back to the interview room with them. I was interviewed by one recruiter and told that the interview notes would be sent to the hiring manager for review and that I would be notified by e-mail within 7 days. The recruiter was nice, but seemed to be rushing the interview at several points. Here's the part where I give you some advice: 1. There is a LOT of inaccurate or just plain wrong information about this process to be found on the internet. The only thing that came close to an accurate description was found here on Glassdoor. I even had active flight attendants at United who are friends of mine give me some inaccurate information. Don't let anything you hear or read talk you out of doing this if you want to. 2. I know that applicants go into these sessions knowing that they're expected to socialize because recruiters are watching, and you should definitely do that. However, make sure that when you speak, you do not sound arrogant. I think people can end up sounding that way when they are nervous and trying to talk about their accomplishments. Don't fall into that trap. There were some UNBELIEVABLY obnoxious people touting their big life wins in that room and it was very off-putting. 3. Don't be stupid. There was one candidate who showed up without a resume, one who was whining about having to relocate at her own expense, and several who were dressed inappropriately. Don't do any of those things. 4. Be yourself. Be friendly. Read through the questions on Glassdoor and come up with your own answers. Make eye contact. Shake hands. Smile. Don't come up with a question to ask if you really don't have one. Don't ask a ton of questions about salary, relocating, seniority, etc; this is not the time. I hope this was helpful.

Interview Questions

• Describe a misconception that customers have about you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United Airlines (Newark, NJ) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy. Applied online, within 4 hours received email asking me to do an "On Demand Video Interview". Questions were basic but vary from candidate to candidate. (1. Why United? 2. What does exceptional customer service mean to you? 3. Name a time you went above and beyond. 4. What are 5 words that your friends or co-workers would use to describe you? 5. What is a common misconception you think your friends or co-workers might have of you? 6. What else would you like United to know about you?) I received a response and was invited to a face to face interview within 2 days of submitting my video interview. My interview location was Newark, NJ. At the beginning of the day all of us Flight Attendant recruits gathered in the terminal and awaited the recruiters to come and get us. First I would like to point out that there was a large group of us (around 18-25) which is larger than most I've heard of. We all waited for about an hour (I recommend you get there early, and DO NOT USE YOUR MOBILE PHONE. This is common sense but unfortunately for some it was not the case) Recruiters came and got us and took us to our interview location where we would be given a summary of the company, position, reserve information and other company information. When we arrived to the room, some of the candidates were already gone, I'm assuming because of mobile phone use in the terminal. (CAN NOT STRESS IT ENOUGH! Do not use your phone from the moment you leave your house, to when you leave the interview. I can honestly say there were multiple Airport employees watching the candidates for everything from the way they were socializing, or lack of, and also our appearance, phone use, etc..). Next step after company information was one-on-one interviews. The first interview was simple. Basic questions about your resume, explanation of reserve, more company information, situational questions, and some of the candidates had role playing scenarios. After that interview, we were brought to another room, then waited for the rest of the candidates to finish their first round interviews. Once everyone was done we were brought back to the first waiting room area, and were called one by one for second and (in our cases) final interview. It was between someone in Inflight and someone from Human Resources. After that interview, some of us were hired on the spot, others told to look out for an email. Overall I would have to say the interview was a good experience. I was beyond nervous coming into it and the recruiters made my nerves melt away with their warm and kind personalities. Just SMILE as much as possible and truly be yourself. They want to know this is truly what you want to do and make a career out of. Also, most of us were hired. About 12 of us got the job that day. The recruiters even said that this wasn't normal. We all came on a Monday, so take the first available date they give you if possible. They want to see how passionate you are about the position!!! GOOD LUCK AND REMEMBER....SMILE AND BE YOURSELF!

Interview Questions

• What is a common misconception that others may have about you?   Answer Question
    • Name a time where you did something on the job and it backfired on you? How did you handle/resolve it?   1 Answer
    • (ROLE-PLAY) You are working a flight, other flight attendant doesnt want to do service what do you do? (These are role playing scenarios, so they will respond to you accordingly as they are the passenger/co-worker) Woman refuses to turn off laptop after main cabin door is closed, what do you do/say?   3 Answers
    • I see you have (something from resume)...can you elaborate on that or tell me a little bit more?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you didn't feel like working. Maybe it could've been a personal issue or you worked 5 legs that day and are tired and do not feel like working any longer. How did you manage, or how do you handle the stress?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Airlines.

Interview

I filled out the online application and received an email to do the HireVue interview the next day. You have 5 days to do it and I did mine on the 4th day. Then two days later I got my email to do the f2f interview. Mine is next week on the 13th in Houston! The HireVue is easy, it's just very awkward! Take advantage of doing the practice questions as they really do help you to get comfortable. All the questions asked are here on glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you would be the best choice for a flight attendant.   Answer Question
    • How do you deliver consistent exceptional customer service?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    • How do customers and coworkers perceive you?   Answer Question
    • Is there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself?   Answer Question

Hub Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX).

Interview

The Hiring process is pretty standard. Fill out an app, give a phone interview, schedule an in-person interview. Overall, a great portion of the interview questions call for S.T.A.R responses (Situation. Task. Actions. Results) along with some personality/character and work ethic questions. Once you're made an offer, a drug test, and physical is required.

Interview Questions

• What would you describe to be one of your weaknesses?   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online on Wednesday July 22, 2015. The next day on Thursday July 23, 2015 I received an email from them saying they wanted me to complete a HireVue video! I did my video that Monday on the 27th. The video asked all of 5 or 6 questions. I'll add them if I can remember them all. But they provided you with practice questions as well, i highly recommend you do them! They ask the question and then you get 30 seconds to prep and 3 mins to answer. I could of sworn I did a terrible job on mine because it was a while before I heard back from them. They sent me an email on August 18th (however I didn't receive until the 20th), saying they were inviting me to do an face-to-face interview with them out in Houston, TX. They gave me a set of dates that they would be interviewing on. I interviewed on August 27. On the 26th, they flew me out to Houston and the next morning I would have my interview. I walked in and in total there was probably about 20 of us interviewees. After a while, they checked us in by our resumes. After that, they had us watch a small video about the company, two flight attendants came out and briefed us on what the day entailed. We also got to ask them questions. After a while, different recruiters came out asking for us individually. I believe they called us 5 at a time. We went into a cubical office style setting where we each sat separately with our recruiter. My recruiter briefed us on what we would be doing. They went over my resume with me, asked me some questions, asked me to read a script (which I recommend reading over in your head first), then we did some scenarios. Everybody I met, that already worked for United, was very nice! I would also suggest to talk to as many other interviewees as you can. They are looking for people who can stand out from the crowd. Dress the part. Dress business professional. But also try to stand out too. Ask as many questions as you can. Research as much as possible! Glassdoor, Youtube videos and research the company too! Most importantly, just be yourself!! Goodluck!

Interview Questions

• HireVue What is a mis-conception a customer may have about you or an employee might have about you? Name a time you went above and beyond to give great customer service? What would co-workers say about you? Why do you think you would be a good FA for United? Is there anything you would like us to know? SELL YOURSELF Face-to-face Tell me about a time you dealt with an irate customer. What is a mis-conception a customer may have about you? Tell me about a time you and coworker didn't exactly see eye to eye. Tell me about a decision a coworker made and you supported it. Is there anything you would like us to know?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at United Airlines (Houston, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied on Aug. 11th, I received an email later the same day inviting me to take a video interview. I took the video interview August 13th, it was just like all the other posts said it would be. 6 questions the last question asked "Is there anything else you would like United to know about you?" This is a great time to let them know any important qualifications you have in safety, medical training (CPR), security anything like that. Remember to dress the part and always smile! I will continue to update as I move along in the hiring process. Update*** F2F scheduled for Aug 27th in Houston, Tx. Let me know if you are attending the same group hiring session? Love to meet fellow F/A hopefuls!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at United Airlines (Atlanta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

They were unusually quick compared to the other reviews I have read. I applied August 15 and got and email with an invite to do the video interview the same evening. I submitted my video interview 3 days later. I am now awaiting an email back for face 2 face interview. There are 6 video interview questions you get 3 minutes each, a break in between each question, and 30 seconds to prepare your answer. You also get unlimited practice questions so you can get an idea of the pace. Pay attention to your involuntary movements. (Swaying in your seat, saying ump etc) The exact questions are below. Tell us anything you would like us to know about you?

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and Why would you make an idea FA?   Answer Question
    • What is a common misconception that customers/coworkers have of you?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you went above an beyond for a customer   Answer Question
    • How would customers/coworkers describe you?   Answer Question
    • How do you deliver consistent exceptional customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United Airlines (Lancaster, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Ok so today I finally did my interview for United through the Hireview App. I took everything that everyone said here and followed through. The amazing thing is that the questions that you post here are the exact interview questions. Thanks everyone for posting the questions, I do admit, I don't think I did to good on the interview but we'll see if I get to go for the face-to-face interview. Hopefully my bubbleness is enough to see me in person. Wish me luck everyone, thank you all for helping me...I haven't done an interview in ages so I was a little rusty on my interview process, can't seem to compile my thoughts together like I use to.

Interview Questions

• What is a common misconception customers and co-workers may have about you? Tell us a little about yourself and why you would be the best choice for united? How would co-workers and customers perceive you? How do you deliver exceptional customer service? Is there anything else you would like to tell us about yourself? Tell us about a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Application

Interview

The entire process went by pretty quickly, I applied then completed the Assessment Test, which in a day or two I received an email informing me to take a video interview. Definitely dress professionally sit in a quiet well lit area, look into the camera and not at yourself. Relax. I then received an email inviting me to attend the Inflight Recruiting Service Group Interview, the interview had about 20 candidates. Again dress professionally, smile, be relaxed, arrive early, don't be afraid to ask questions. Interact with the other candidates and the Flight Attendants. First there is the group session, then an one on one interview, then an interview with two higher management staff. Unfortunately I wasn't selected to continue even though in my opinion it went well. I will apply again and hope for a better outcome. Best of luck to you all, God bless.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you've had to deal with a difficult customer, and how did you handle it?   1 Answer