United Airlines

Updated Sep 15, 2014

Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Airlines in February 2014.

It is the same as described before. They will put a disclaimer out there saying that it isn't whats been described online and this is not true. Be friendly and extra talkative to the main speaker, and make sure you mingle.

Business Analyst Interview

I submit resume on Informs conference, get contact weeks later. There's one paper based technical exam with choice of area in Stats or Optimization. Then there's a phone interview days later asking behavioral questions, brain teasing questions and technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Ask to express some technical concepts in your own words to one that is total not familiar with the topics.   Answer Question

Airport Operations Zone Control - Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at United Airlines in May 2013.

I was contacted to set up an interview, they flew me to San Francisco to interview three days later. The three interviewers were energetic and welcoming. They answered most of my questions, the interview should have lasted around 45 minutes, mine lasted about an hour and a half because we just kept talking, it was great. I was told that they would be making their decision very quickly and I would hear either way.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision, What was the outcome of your choices, and What did you learn from it?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Tis job is great for those who love to work with the public. Hiring is standard interviewing process. You have to study city and country codes during training and the restmis fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations as everyone starts at a set rate.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bloomington, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IN

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at United Airlines in April 2013.

Initially, they gave a phone interview, asking lots of behavioral and personal questions. After completing that, they had a face-to-face interview, mostly asking me what I knew about the industry and why I'd like to work for United. Then they gave me a case where I had to decide the optimum number of tickets to sell for a flight from Chicago to Dallas, and determine whether it was more optimal to make this flight stop in St. Louis on the way there and sell the ticket at a lower price, but sell more of them.

Interview Questions
    • The case question detailed above was probably the most unexpected and difficult question.   Answer Question

I would have probably accepted, but I received a higher paying and better opportunity and they would not match.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at United Airlines.

First I had a phone interview with the hiring manager and soon after the flew me to Houston for an in-person interview with the manager and another two members of the development team. They asked me several technical questions and asked me to solve some problems on the white board. My first impression is that the group was culturally diverse, which makes it very interesting as you can learn even more on your career as well as about other cultures around the world.

At the end of the technical interview we talked about the flying benefits and they shared some experiences about flying overseas to see their families and about going around the world visiting places. It was a nice interview.

After that I had a 1:1 interview with the manager about salary expectations, he asked me how much I was currently earning and how much I wanted.

Then I flew back home. They called me back 3 weeks later with an offer.

They gave a full relocation package and 3 weeks later I moved to Houston.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me some tough SQL questions that I had to solve on the white board.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate the salary a little bit.

Flight Attendant Interview

I applied on line. I received an email to call for an in person interview. The interview process was a long day including three different interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you see another employee being dishonest?   Answer Question

Senior Staff Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United Airlines in November 2013.

There were a few initial HR preliminary interviews to gauge willingness and abilities. The main interview process was based on the STAR system http://careerservices.wayne.edu/behavioralinterviewinfo.pdf . The interview was pretty tough because the position had a lot of operational questions related to the airline industry. But by being prepared for STAR interview type questions as well as being able to take a few minutes to craft my responses, the interview went very well.

Interview Questions
    • I can't get too much into the details because of the sensitivity of being in an FAA regulated position. Just know that the most difficult questions were about strategy and execution from a policy and procedure aspect of the airline at an airport.   Answer Question

FP&A Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United Airlines.

I first met with United representatives at a career fair and shared my resume. The first part of the process was a ~20min phone interview. This asked basic questions about leadership experience and classes taken. Then I was invited for an onsite interview. This consisted of a 10min casual conversation, then both an analytical thinking test and a computer programming competency. The there was a ~20 min case question followed by a ~10min chat with a senior manager.

Interview Questions
    • Interpreting psuedocode on the computer programming test.   Answer Question
    No real negotiating

Flight Operations Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at United Airlines.

I was contacted after submitting an application online by the intern hiring manager. He gave me a brief description of the process to bring me down to Houston for an interview. A day later I received my flight information and flew down to Houston. After arriving I met the hiring manager and went to take a drug test screen. After the drug test I was sat down for a short interview. The interview was very relaxed and I felt very comfortable talking to the intern hiring manager and his friend who was a fellow pilot.

Interview Questions
    • What is the worst situation you have encountered flying?   Answer Question