United Airlines

Updated Aug 23, 2014
Updated Aug 23, 2014
220 interviews

Continuous Improvement/Enterprise Optimization Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at United Airlines.

I met United at a career fair at my school. I interviewed at their HQ with 3 people. The first interview I had that day was mainly about my background, gathering why I had an interest in the company, etc. The second interview was more about how my skills, experience and interests were directly applicable to the job. The third interview was a case study. The toughest part of the interview is that it is hard to gauge whether or not you said something that they wanted to hear; the first interview was a nice way of easing into things and more casual, but for the second and third they were very neutral in giving you feedback from your answers. All in all, I'd say it is neither the easiest nor toughest interview to overcome; just come with some proper preparation (although, I had never actually "prepared" for a case study question before, and did fine by winging it and applying my technical knowledge).

Interview Questions
    • An example of one of the 'experience' questions is describing a time when you had to deal with a very large set of data.   Answer Question

Revenue Management Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United Airlines.

Applied through campus website and had first round on campus and second round at willis tower.

Interview Questions
    • Pick a current event that you think affected the airline and explain what impacts you think it would make on pricing and sales numbers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at United Airlines in November 2013.

Just like most previous sharing, I had 3 round of interviews. First two were 1:1 and the 3rd was with HR and the main hiring manager. There were only 9 of us that day and 2 got accepted. I am not going through the details because you can find most of it from previous sharing.

Some of the questions I had:
    - Read part of the inflight announcement
    - Tell me a time you deal with angry customer.
    - Tell me a time you had conflict with your coworker
    - Why flight attendant
    - Any concern for becoming a flight attendant
    - Finish the sentence: You don't like it when customers ........
    - Anything you want to mention that is not on your resume
    - How much you know about "on reserve"
    - Is "on reserve" a problem for you
    - Are you able to relocate
    - Tell me a time you have fun at work
    - Tell me a time you face a change in your work
    - THE MOST IMPORTANT SCENARIO QUESTION:
       you do and say
    After all these question, I had the chance to make it to the 3rd round. Basically in 3rd round they just need to see you in person and see if you are really as good as what the previous interviewers described.

My suggestion:
    - WENT THROUGH THE LAST COUPLE PAGES OF SHARING ON GLASSDOOR
    You will see most of the question I had were from their previous sharing. So I can say there were no surprise question for me. Be well prepared for those questions and worry about language test later. They do the language test after you pass all 3 round interviews.
    - ACT LIKE A FLIGHT ATTENDANT
    Smile, friendly, willing to share your story, open to make friends, be polite.
    These are so basic I think everyone knows, but still I met people not smiling and only given short answers in our casual chatting. They are watching who can blend in well.
    - DRESS LIKE A FLIGHT ATTENDANT
    I had a black suit jacket and skirt with a white shirt and black heels, very classic office lady look. And of course made my hair a bun. In order to show some difference and make good impression, I add a green scarf under my collar. I met 3 people that day in hotel and in the training center thought I am ready to fly. When I told them I was just here for the interview, they all congrats me on getting the job because I already look like one. It just made me really confident that day!
    - CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCES IS NOT WEIGHT 100%
    I had limited customer service experiences, I know it and the interviewers knew it too. I think they like my answers and know my attitude, so still they provide me the chance to learn and grow with them. So be well prepared for those questions.

This was my first interview for flight attendant in my life, hope the sharing can help with all others who are working on it. Just be yourself and don't be nervous, it's a great experience and you have nothing to lose. Good luck! :)

Interview Questions
    • As the chief flight attendant today, one of your crew member refuse to serve, what would
         you do and say
        Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Very poor interviewers. Just asked scripted behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions. Tells you nothing about the company or the position. Ridiculous!   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at United Airlines.

I applied for the position from internet. Then I got invited for the interview and set up the date on the phone. I recommend that you arrive the training center 1 hour ahead when you attend. (I arrived at 7:30am.) everybody was there VERY early. It was supposed to start from 8:30 but everybody was there by 8am.

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at United Airlines in February 2012.

I applied in late December and later revieved an email asking me to set up a face to face interview in Houston where I was flown down in February.

Reservations Agent Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at United Airlines.

I was had a flyer on hiring and went to that session and was give a test and when I turn my test in I hand in my resume. Several days later I was call for an interview. Once i came in for my interview they ask several questions and then did a pretend call. Once done they said thank you very much we will call you if you qualify. Before I could get out the door they call me back and said you are hired.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation rate was on the flyer I received

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at United Airlines in November 2013.

The process was pretty much as described by most people on this site. There were about 13 people being interviewed that day and they started by showing us a video and then opening up for questions, then bringing us in for a one on one interview. If you passed the initial interview you were asked to go into another room and wait for another recruiter to bring you in for a second interview. The third interview was a group of about 5 people and each asked a question. The initial two interviewers asked questions like, give me an example of how you had conflict with a coworker and how did you resolve it. Another was, give me an example of a decision you made at work that you later regret it and why?
    The group interview consisted of more questions around how prepared are you to be on reserve and what does that mean to you.

Interview Questions
    • What are your best three qualities? How do you handle stressful situations   Answer Question

Reservations Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I interviewed online - interviewed at United Airlines in March 2012.

Applied online, received phone call within 1 week about work eligibility and willingness to work flexible hours. Then a face to face was scheduled.
    Interview was easy, STAR-method questions

Crew Scheduler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at United Airlines in July 2013.

Intervew process went ok. Was given positive space to Chicago for interview through HR. HR was very slow at responding to emails and phone call messages. They did not keep the applicant informed through the process and let them even know that they were being considered for the job.

Required to pay for round trip cab to interview location which was about $35. Was given a basic interview consisting of 3 structured questions. A little bit of a conversation and then was released. The whole interview lasted about 18 minutes. They were not much into chit chatting.

The position was explained more in detail during the interview and was told that they would let me know through HR if I was offered the position. It took HR 3 additional weeks after my interview to get in touch with me and offer me the job.

HR called to offer me the job; she read off the benefits and salary. There was no room for negotiations. She said that is all we have to offer and there is no room to negotiate when I asked if that was the absolute highest they could offer me. Upon signing the job offer, I was told that I would not be elgible for a raise for 4 years because I am in the lower age bracket of the position. She gave me 6 hours to respond, and the signed job offer must reach them by the end of the day or the offer of employment will be redacted.

On the first day, I was put through a management and administrative co-worker orientation - that was great. Was trained a little for the position and then put on the "call center" floor. It was entirely not the position I was hired for and am still currently in this position but try daily to find a way out of it and transfer within the company.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the way you build rapport with others and how because of this rapport you have built you remain in contact with them today.   Answer Question
    None whatsoever. I was told what the salary and the benefits were and then was told I had 6 hours to accept or decline.