United Launch Alliance

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Aerospace Technician Interview

Aerospace Technician

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at United Launch Alliance in January 2009.

Interview Details – Standard interview questions and HR process. Tell us a time you felt uncomfortable with your boss. How did you handle that?.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Interview Question – none really...just standard questions, nothing job specific.............................................................................................................................................................................   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – If you get interviewed for a Tech job, take what they offer...

Launch Operations Intern Interview

Launch Operations Intern

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at United Launch Alliance in February 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on line. Went through a screening email. Had a screening phone call where I was asked questions about myself by an outside (kenexa) employee. I then had a phone call with an internal hiring manager. I was asked to go over my resume and I spoke about my projects. I was then asked some behavioral questions. Pretty easy overall.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Pretty standard for a non-technical internship interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I had about a week to decide.

Engineer Third Level Interview

Engineer Third Level
Centennial, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at United Launch Alliance.

Interview Details – I applied online, and a couple of weeks later I received HR pre-screening paperwork. I filled that out and then had a phone group interview with several people in the department. A couple of weeks later, I was brought in for an in-person interview. I met with four managers during the interview. Asked questions about my resume, experience, and personality to see how I fit. Nothing extremely difficult or technical, except for minor subject matter questions.

Interview Question – [Since this was a 3rd level position] "It is highly likely that you will be working with 2nd and 1st level engineers that are your age or older than you. How will you handle a situation if you get asked about it or feel that you are not given the respect that your position deserves because of it?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a later start date, and an 8% increase in annual salary (with reasoning that the average salary for the position [obtained from Glassdoor and other sites] was ~8% higher. They countered accepting the later start date, and offered a 4% bump in annual salary. I took it

Payroll Interview

Payroll
Centennial, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United Launch Alliance in February 2012.

Interview Details – Professional and very personable

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Centennial, CO

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United Launch Alliance.

Interview Details – Applied via the corporate website. Received an email from a recruiter two weeks later to set up a phone screening and also some written questions that covered job experience as they related to the req.

Completed 15 minute phone screening with recruiter a few days later, then the next week was asked to complete a full application and set up an in-person interview with the hiring manager.

On-site interview took about an hour and I was informed a decision would be made in two weeks. Received offer two weeks later.

Interview Question – Which systems engineering tools have you used, how, and to what effect?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I countered requesting 8% more than offered, they countered with 5% signing bonus and 2% more base salary, I accepted.

Mechanical Engineer Internship Interview

Mechanical Engineer Internship

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at United Launch Alliance.

Interview Details – A few months after applying online for the freshman mechanical engineering internship I was contacted for a phone interview. A large portion of the questions were easily answered by looking at the job description for a clue on how to answer correctly.

Interview Question – The generic question of greatest weakness was the most difficult question.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Quality Engineer
Decatur, AL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at United Launch Alliance in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted the day after I submitted my application, talk about fast! They asked for some more details, called back a few days later with some general questions, then set up an interview. The interview was mostly relaxed, but they do ask some specific questions such as "Explain a time you did something that failed and what you learned from it." Having little experience in the full-time working world, I had to use a lot of examples from school, which they were satisfied with. They are mainly looking for how you handle yourself in a variety of situations.

Interview Question – "Name a time you were working in a group, something didn't work, and what did you do (if anything) to fix it?"
Not the exact question, but it was similar.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was called the day after the interview and they said "We'd like to offer you the job at a salary of $56,000," and I said "I'll take it!"

Quality Engineer Entry Interview

Quality Engineer Entry
Lompoc, CA

I applied online - interviewed at United Launch Alliance in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, got an email back to fill out a brief questionare relating to the industry and position.
After sending my response I got a call back to schedule an interview (email confirmation was sent).
On the day of the interview, 2 head managers people from the department were interviewing me. They asked situational questions such as how you would handle this or that situation. One of the questions they asked me was "What would you do if you have a problem with one of your coworkers and continue on clashing on differences at work?"

Other questions were for me to describe my experience at work in the past or what I like most about past positions. They also asked questions relating to the quality engineer position such as standard procedures and standards.
Gave a tour at the end

Interview Question – Asked if I was okay to work holidays and sometimes if needed at nights like at 2AM, but otherwise typical interview for entry level   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay was too low considering I had to move

Structural Engineer I Interview

Structural Engineer I
Centennial, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Launch Alliance in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, couple days later I received an email to fill out some pre-screening questions regarding my credentials. Then I was called for pre-screening by HR another couple days later. Few days later, I was contacted to schedule a phone interview. Interviewed with a group of three. Asked questions about my resume, nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Question – Nothing really.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at United Launch Alliance.

Interview Details – It was a basic, behavioral interview. I received a pre-screening call and was told I may be contacted in 3-4 weeks to set up a phone interview. They called and set it up. It was very informal, the interviewer asked about the things on my resume, my motivations, and my interests. I was asked to come on sight for an interview.

The on-sight interview was also informal in front of a panel of three. They asked about past experiences to understand my thought process, motivations, interests, etc.

I felt like they were mostly concerned about me being likeable and competent.

Interview Question – What drives you? what are your goals? why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay was too low for what I had to offer ($60k).

Worked for United Launch Alliance? Contribute to the Community!