United Nations

Updated Nov 19, 2014
Updated Nov 19, 2014

2.8

, Human Resources Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United Nations.

Applied through their UN career website, where you have to fill every detail properly, otherwise you will be screened out of the system. Got an email asking for phone interview. No face to face interview.

Program Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United Nations in September 2014.

I was invited to interview two weeks after submitting an application online through Inspira. The interview was challenging - all behavioral - even though I had prepared for it. All questions lined up with competencies listed on the job description. Although I was not offered the job, I was rostered for similar positions in the future.

Interview Questions
    • What other branches or divisions of the United Nations address issues of democracy?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you were required to engage in teamwork with others?   Answer Question
    • When did you have to prepare for an event or a meeting and how did that go?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I was not offered the job, but placed on a roster, which is what the United Nations does if you qualify but are not selected for whatever reason. It is significant because it means you do not have to go through a vetting process again, just make yourself available when similar positions become available in the future.

Internship Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at United Nations.

The interview is competency based. So it would be really useful to study the job description and competencies described there carefully. Prepare example for each competency and duty. PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE!

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at United Nations.

Very technical questions; asked about language skills, previous working experience, knowledge of particular countries. Overall, interview lasted for about 20 minutes. Was dealing with one interviewer. Pretty straightforward interview.

Economic Affairs Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at United Nations.

No interview for this position. But I ever got an interview before from Management Department, there were a phone interview, and a technical test. In the phone interview, there are two interviewees asking me about my work experience and how I faced challenges during work, how I collaborated with others.

Interview Questions
    • no unexpected question. Just ask about your previous leadership and collaboration experience in multi-cultural environment. Also, about how to face failure.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at United Nations.

Took the required clerical test, including typing, for people without an advanced degree (Master's, etc.). Did well, was offered a job pretty quickly in a high-level office. The process was surprisingly quick. I started work within a short period of time after the clerical test results came in. I think they took a little while to come in, but I don't remember how long, exactly. I started over 10 years ago so I don't recall the details of timing.

Interview Questions
    • I don't recall any very difficult questions. I answered everything truthfully and honestly, even admitting when I didn't fully know a certain skill.   Answer Question
    No, I was not able to negotiate since the UN has a set civil servant-type pay scale with grades and steps within the grades. I was given a slightly higher starting salary than normally given since I had prior desired work-experience.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United Nations in May 2014.

I applied online in December and I had been contacted in May. The interview lasted 20 minutes in total. Was supposed to be an informal interview I found it very tricky.

Interview Questions
    • What you passionate about, what is your experience with confidential situation or documents, technical question like how do you do legal research what you are looking for first.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United Nations.

phone interview, it's easy and simple like why do you want this internship, tell me more about yourself....etc. They are not hard and organized. just apply through the career website and hiring manager will contact you directly

IT Consultant Interview

It was supposed to be a temporary position, so there was no formal interview process. I took the ASAT (Administrative Support Assistant Test) and passed it. Then my resume was placed in a pool and eventually a job offer was extended. Afterwards, the vice-chair of the service called me to verify that I possessed the necessary skills and the willingness to work long hours.

The salary was fixed, but shortly after I was hired they would fast-track my promotion process.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at United Nations.

The hiring was through an internship. I was firstly an intern for six months, after that they offered me a consulting position. This position was the same as the internship position, but just after I received some additional tasks - which mainly evolved around new coming interns.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have a job interview with established questions, it was more based on my previous performance.   Answer Question
    one week