United Natural

Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Sales/Service Representative Interview

Field Sales/Service Representative
Iowa City, IA

I applied through other source and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at United Natural.

Interview Details – Submitted resume and cover letter via email, got an interview right away. Took a couple of weeks to start job after being offered a position.

Interview Question – Not difficult at all. I seemed to be the perfect fit for the position. I was a little confused with the vast array of products offered to the customer but after a couple of days on the job there was no question.   Answer Question

Senior Staff Accountant Interview

Senior Staff Accountant
Chesterfield, NH

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at United Natural.

Interview Details – The interview process started quickly with immediate feedback from the HR department, including completion of a lengthy application. The interview seemed to go well, but the follow up was non-existent, and there was no response to emails to the hiring manager. I felt this organization lacked basic business etiquette.

Interview Question – There were no specific questions asked. I felt the interview lacked structure & focus.   View Answer

Director, Fresh Food Interview

Director, Fresh Food
Aurora, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at United Natural in August 2009.

Interview Details – Was contacted via a third party recruiter for this position. Interviewed primarily with position supervisor and was quickly offered the position. Some communications facilitated via HR.

Negotiation Details – 2 day process, conversation directly with hiring manager.

Truck Driver Interview

Truck Driver

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Natural in July 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 2 people, both of whom were gone within a year of my hire. They called me several times before doing an in-person interview. The interview itself was fairly straightforward. They did over-promise a lot, however. Their were no extra Smith System training certifications and once hired, the promised work-life balance was out the window.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? Difficult because I was making several dollars more an hour with the job I had already when I interviewed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They also insisted I not give two weeks notice. I did anyway and still got the job.

Second Shift Warehouse Manager Interview

Second Shift Warehouse Manager
Greenwood, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at United Natural in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was given a phone screen by the HR manager at the time and she then passed me on to a phone call with the GM. That call was short as I was asked to come in for a face to face with him as well as the First Shift Warehouse Manager in a separate meet. Most of the interview questions were behavioral based questions which are answered easily if you have the past experience.

Interview Question – I was asked if I had and hands on budgeting experience, which I did not. I had accountability for a department but not necessarily the line item of the budget. Here I would be paying for my supervisor salaries as well as the hourly wages and overtime. I would also be purchasing all clothing for the freezer personnel.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate vacation time with my offer. I also was given relocation and 3 months hotel stay while searching for a house.

Creative Services Manager Interview

Creative Services Manager
Providence, RI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at United Natural in March 2013.

Interview Details – I had initially submitted an online application and then was able to secure a personal referral to HR. I was contacted by an intern for a 10 minute screening call - which took several days to schedule because of her limited schedule. Her demeanor was very robotic. No acknowledgement that I had a strong personal introduction at the executive level. After a brief screening call I received a pro-forma email rejection 2 days later.

Interview Question – No questions related to the position or my skills - more general about greatest challenge, learning experience, management style etc.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Warehouse Associate Interview

Warehouse Associate
Rocklin, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at United Natural in February 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was quick and easy, received job offer right away, but it took almost 2 months to start as they were waiting on my background check. It finally came through clear, but the screening process from offer to start was ridiculous.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, they offer the same base salary everyone gets regardless of experience. You take it or you decline, but they refuse to increase.

IT Interview

IT
Providence, RI

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at United Natural in November 2011.

Interview Details – Went Well, nice people

Interview Question – Explain biggest failure   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Customer Service
Chesterfield, NH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Natural in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initially contacted by the HR-Rep very personable. Most of the questions were your basic phone interview type questions. Was contacted several days later to come in for 1:2 interview process. The interview was conducted in a large conference room. The interviewers gave a overall description of the company and the position applied for. The interview consisted of both interviewers asking questions and taking notes.

Interview Questions

• If you were offered the position over and internal candidate who interviewed, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question
  • Most of the employees have worked 5+ years in this department. Being the leader in this position how do you motivate them and gain their trust.   Answer Question

Truck Driver Interview

Truck Driver
Rocklin, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at United Natural in October 2011.

Interview Details – After applying online I was contacted via telephone and a brief interview was conducted. Questions pertained to experience and qualifications I listed on my application (food service distribution is a plus). A time/day was set for a one on one with Transportation Manager.
After checking in at front office, being assigned a "visitor badge", I met with HR member who conducted initial phone interview and I was escorted to Transportation department. Attention to safety and protocol are observed. I was asked to wait in employee break room.
Transportation manger came in and introduce himself. At his office we discussed previous driving experience and details of the job in particular. He spelled out the days and hours as a new hire will be scattered, offering that you will work four days a week with three off. Three consecutive days off will take approximately 5years to obtain. More than likely you will work Mon, Tues-Weds off, work Fri-Sat... You will work as a floater for at least a year and then start to have consistent routes. Routes are aquired by bid based upon seniority.
Note - the hours mentioned varied from what I was told in initial phone interview with HR. Close, but obviously HR doesn't know of the possible combination of work hours/days drivers work?
The Transportation Manager didn't "sugar-coat" anything and was quite clear expressing the rule of seniority within the company and odd days/hours a new hire would be expected to work.
His interview consisted of five specific questions relating to behavior and past experiences (with three possible alternative questions if the previous didn't apply).
Warehouse/Transportation dress seems to be casual. Lots of employees in shorts and pants, tee shirts or polo... adherence to safety.
Building lacked any windows.I feel sorry for the routing-transportation staff which works inside. Not a good atmosphere!
Note: I was told UNFI - Rocklin has outgrown the facility. Why not move Transportation Dept to a new building onsite and use the warehouse space for needed warehouse space?
Follow up to interview has been hit and miss. Rescheduling of drive test (due to sick lead driver).
Drive Test: Prepare to demonstrate a "pre-trip" inspection. Adhere to safety at all times. Bring a rag to check fluids, gloves to check steering components etc. Truck we drove was a dual axle tractor w/48' liftgate trailer. Tandem axle on trailer is set at furthest back rear position for drive test (take turns wide). A docking scenario will be checked, avoid a "blind side" back in and drive around or u-turn to accomplish this (you will not be told what to do. Just directed to dock there). During the test you will cross railroad tracks, follow rules of safety. Not a lot to it, 30-45mins...
 Afterwards: Promised phone calls don't happen when stated "I'll/he'll call you on..."
The delay has given me more time to review the company.
Thinking back of the employees I saw on site; drivers are way tired (getting off shifts), that's expected. Staff on breaks don't seem too happy. I have yet to be greeted by any staff/employee with exception of the front office receptionist(s). But, that is her job.Surprised seeing smoking in front of the building (smoking cessation plan should be implemented). For a Natural Food Distributor it was odd seeing break-room vending machines full of junk food. One would think the company would promote healthy choices from within?

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time where you didn't fulfill an obligation to your employer?   Answer Question
  • Can you give me an example of how you interacted with a customer when there was an issue?
    (paraphrasing)
      Answer Question

Worked for United Natural? Contribute to the Community!