United Natural

2 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Truck Driver Interview

Truck Driver

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Natural in July 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 2 people, both of whom were gone within a year of my hire. They called me several times before doing an in-person interview. The interview itself was fairly straightforward. They did over-promise a lot, however. Their were no extra Smith System training certifications and once hired, the promised work-life balance was out the window.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? Difficult because I was making several dollars more an hour with the job I had already when I interviewed.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They also insisted I not give two weeks notice. I did anyway and still got the job.

Truck Driver Interview

Truck Driver
Rocklin, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at United Natural in October 2011.

Interview Details – After applying online I was contacted via telephone and a brief interview was conducted. Questions pertained to experience and qualifications I listed on my application (food service distribution is a plus). A time/day was set for a one on one with Transportation Manager.
After checking in at front office, being assigned a "visitor badge", I met with HR member who conducted initial phone interview and I was escorted to Transportation department. Attention to safety and protocol are observed. I was asked to wait in employee break room.
Transportation manger came in and introduce himself. At his office we discussed previous driving experience and details of the job in particular. He spelled out the days and hours as a new hire will be scattered, offering that you will work four days a week with three off. Three consecutive days off will take approximately 5years to obtain. More than likely you will work Mon, Tues-Weds off, work Fri-Sat... You will work as a floater for at least a year and then start to have consistent routes. Routes are aquired by bid based upon seniority.
Note - the hours mentioned varied from what I was told in initial phone interview with HR. Close, but obviously HR doesn't know of the possible combination of work hours/days drivers work?
The Transportation Manager didn't "sugar-coat" anything and was quite clear expressing the rule of seniority within the company and odd days/hours a new hire would be expected to work.
His interview consisted of five specific questions relating to behavior and past experiences (with three possible alternative questions if the previous didn't apply).
Warehouse/Transportation dress seems to be casual. Lots of employees in shorts and pants, tee shirts or polo... adherence to safety.
Building lacked any windows.I feel sorry for the routing-transportation staff which works inside. Not a good atmosphere!
Note: I was told UNFI - Rocklin has outgrown the facility. Why not move Transportation Dept to a new building onsite and use the warehouse space for needed warehouse space?
Follow up to interview has been hit and miss. Rescheduling of drive test (due to sick lead driver).
Drive Test: Prepare to demonstrate a "pre-trip" inspection. Adhere to safety at all times. Bring a rag to check fluids, gloves to check steering components etc. Truck we drove was a dual axle tractor w/48' liftgate trailer. Tandem axle on trailer is set at furthest back rear position for drive test (take turns wide). A docking scenario will be checked, avoid a "blind side" back in and drive around or u-turn to accomplish this (you will not be told what to do. Just directed to dock there). During the test you will cross railroad tracks, follow rules of safety. Not a lot to it, 30-45mins...
 Afterwards: Promised phone calls don't happen when stated "I'll/he'll call you on..."
The delay has given me more time to review the company.
Thinking back of the employees I saw on site; drivers are way tired (getting off shifts), that's expected. Staff on breaks don't seem too happy. I have yet to be greeted by any staff/employee with exception of the front office receptionist(s). But, that is her job.Surprised seeing smoking in front of the building (smoking cessation plan should be implemented). For a Natural Food Distributor it was odd seeing break-room vending machines full of junk food. One would think the company would promote healthy choices from within?

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time where you didn't fulfill an obligation to your employer?   Answer Question
  • Can you give me an example of how you interacted with a customer when there was an issue?
    (paraphrasing)
      Answer Question

Worked for United Natural? Contribute to the Community!