United Rentals

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United Rentals in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Had to take a test during the job application. I was called a week after I applied to set up an interview. During the interview with the Branch Manager, we went over the test and what kind of experience I have. Honestly there were no STAR questions which I really liked.

After that a second interview was set up with the Regional Manager. Asked similar questions that the Branch Manager asked, however they were more how I would fit in with the team and how I do with team environments as well as multi-tasking. After that interview I was called a week later and I got the job.

Overall the interview is not that bad. Make sure that you are yourself and you explain to them how you approach situations. Like I said I didn't have to explain any past experiences (Star Interview), they just wanted to know how I would react to certain situations.

Interview Question – There were none. You only make the questions difficult on yourself if you don't have the experience they are actually looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I might have been able to negotiate. However, I just took the offer as it is mainly because I am still somewhat entry level.

Auburn, AL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at United Rentals in November 2013.

Interview Details – I first learned of the position from a career fair at my college. I was asked to come in for an initial interview with the branch manager and then a follow up interview with a regional sales director. I personally found the initial interview had more challenging questions. I felt confident about both interviews but another candidate who had more experience was chosen.

Interview Question – What is the key to negotiations?
Are you more oriented towards a management or sales role?
Strengths/ Weaknesses?
How did you handle a problem at your last job?
Several questions relating to how you handle conflict and getting along with coworkers.
  Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at United Rentals.

Interview Details – Took quite awhile, very standard interview, rather extensive intelligence/aptitude/personality test. I was contacted by a recruiter first, then referred to local management.

Interview Question – No particularly difficult questions. They were looking for someone who truly understood the job and company.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None.

Knoxville, TN

The process took 2 days - interviewed at United Rentals in October 2010.

Interview Details – Strong recruitment from local management
Typical interview questions.

Goals: current, five years.
Training:
What if scenarios

Hiring process took about five weeks.

Various testing required after being hired.

Management was unsure what needed to be completed even to get benefits

Interview Question – What are your goals for the next five years?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Depending on location, I would suggest not working for this company. It is very much a "good ole boys network".

Inside Sales Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United Rentals.

Interview Details – Applied directly to branch from a newspaper help wanted ad. Had an interview with branch manager and after 2 hours of meeting i was hired. Had to do an online application and then a week of training at another branch.

Inside Sales Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at United Rentals.

Interview Details – Fill out the online application. Phone interview then an in person interview then wait for the call for a second interview with the Branch Manager and District Manager. IF you pass you take an online intelligence assessment. When the interviews are done you wait for the phone call or email from HR. Take the drug test and wait for the call if you are hired.

Interview Question – Explaining my history.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Told them what I needed for money and they offered a probationary hourly rate.

Inside Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at United Rentals in November 2011.

Interview Details – First, I had a phone interview with a recruiter after being referred by an employee. Then I had 3 more interviews with management, which were in either panel style or an interview with 1 person.

Interview Question – I do not remember any questions being difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to negotiate higher pay than what was offered, but the offer I was first given remained as originally stated.

Inside Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at United Rentals in May 2011.

Interview Details – It was a interview pretty standard with the behavioral interview process. All of the questions were behavior based and should be answered in the STAR format. There are about 6 questions are all based on previous expericences that you may have. The notification process is pretty quick if they want to offer you a position or if they feel that better people are qualified. It was my first experience with a behavioral interview so it was pretty difficult for me, you really just have to practice.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had a conflict with a co-worker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Worked for United Rentals? Contribute to the Community!