United Site Services

Relevance Date Difficulty

Call Center Manager - West Coast Operations Interview

Call Center Manager - West Coast Operations
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at United Site Services in January 2010.

Interview Details – I met the hiring manager and a team lead at a hotel bar. No alcohol involved. They were doing some staff training at the hotel and asked me to meet them there afterward. I didn't really have to sell myself. The hiring manager did most of the talking and I just had to listen and empathize. I was then flown from California to Chicago to interview with the VP of Sales, who then flew me to Southern California to mer with a branch manager who didn't want the position filled. I had to convince him that I could help his branch succeed.

Interview Question – The biggest challenge was sucking up to this branch manager who didn't want a call center interfering with his local operations. I pretty much just flew to his city and had lunch with him and listened to him tell me how awesome he was and how much the rest of the company sucked and that he didn't want me interfering with his operation. I just had to nod and agree. It was pretty creepy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Terrible. They offered me $90k per year, which I immediately accepted. Once I started the job they told me I had to move closer to the company or they'd fire me. I moved my family closer as requested and was then told it wasn't close enough and that they'd fire me if I didn't move even closer. I moved my family a second time and was fired a few months later. It was devastating for me and my family.

Customer Care Manager Interview

Customer Care Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at United Site Services in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was recruited by the local HR Manager over the phone. I met the Director of Customer Care and the VP of Operations at a hotel bar for the first interview. Then I flew to Southern California to interview with their VP of Ops and then to Chicago to interview with the SVP of Sales and Marketing.

Interview Questions

• What was unexpected was how little the Director of Customer Care knew about call centers and customer service.   View Answer
  • What was unexpected was how desperate the VP's of Operations were to get a customer care manager who would help them grow their sales.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I turned their first offer down because the pay would not be enough to support my family. They countered with a better offer and I accepted. The offer letter did not indicate that the offer was contingent upon me moving my family to the bay area, so I moved them about halfway closer, giving me the ability to commute to work and still afford to send my son to preschool. However, the entire time I worked there I was threatened that if I didn't move into the bay area I would be fired.

Worked for United Site Services? Contribute to the Community!