United States Congress Interview Questions

2.4

Summer Congressional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source – interviewed at United States Congress in March 2015.

Sent application to Congressman via a University program. The intern coordinator contacted me for a phone interview that lasted a little less than fifteen minutes. A response was given via email later on that week. The application included a resume, cover letter, and two short essay questions. The questions asked were common to other interview questions, such as "Tell me about yourself" and "What experience do you have with..."

Interview Questions
    • How comfortable are you with writing and how often is it used in your everyday coursework?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United States Congress.

I applied to this position online (cover letter and resume) and was contacted in less than a week through email to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted 10-15 minutes. Questions asked were general/standard interview questions like description of work ethic, reasons for interest in internship position, strengths/weaknesses, and hypothetical behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bel Air, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bel Air, MD

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Congress in May 2014.

The difficulty of getting the internship really depends on who you're going to intern for. Depending on the power or the amount of years the Representative has, will determine the difficulty and the length of the process. Personally, I interned for a US Representative from Maryland, who currently sits on the Ways and Means Committee, power committee, but he doesn't have much power. He's a 3rd term Rep, and just got selected for the Committee. So, my process? I contacted the DC office, I was redirected to the District Office. I left a message, they called me back. I sent in paperwork solely because they said it was required by the DC Office. Then they told me the duties and responsibilities, which wasn't much because I was in the district office. Then they told me it was mine. So again, it really depends on who and where you're interning.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't much negotiation. Just if I was ok with the work.

Legislative Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at United States Congress.

Usually one interview with Legislative Director, maybe a second interview with the Chief of Staff. You almost always need Capitol Hill experience for this level. You need to demonstrate you know the legislative process, how to work with constituents/stakeholders, and in-depth policy knowledge of the selected issue area.

Interview Questions
    • You have 5 minutes to update the Senator/Congressman while walking between hearings/meetings-- give your 30 second explanation of X issue.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United States Congress.

Job was posted on most job forums for the Austin area. To start the application process, you must send your resume by email to the congressman's secretary. After your resume is reviewed and you're determined to be qualified (I don't know if anyone in an accredited university would not be qualified), the secretary will contact you and set up an interview time. The interview consisted of questions about my resume and why I would like to be apart of the Congressman's team

Interview Questions
    • What makes you a good candidate for potentially being apart of the Congressman's team?   View Answer

Speaker of the House Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United States Congress in July 2013.

I had to raise tons of money from people that expected unsavory favors in return. The interviewers also focused on many topics that weren't really critical to the success of the organization or my ability to do the job. Rather than discussing my position on issues, I spent my time explaining why my competitors would do a bad job.

Interview Questions
    • I merely wanted to see salary information, but was required to enter several reviews. So, I thought I'd provide some completely useless information. I truly hope the reviewer enjoys.   Answer Question

The thought of being bent over by investors, I mean campaign contributors, really didn't sit well with me. I figured I could make more money in the private sector.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at United States Congress.

I submitted my resume to five different offices and received interview requests from three of them. All the interviews were on the Hill, so I had to metro in. Most of the interviews only lasted about 20 minutes

Interview Questions
    • As in most interviews, they ask why they should pick me for their internship. Focus on an event or position you held that really showed initiative. Initiative is a big deal up here and the more proactive you are, the more likely it is you will get an offer.   Answer Question
    If you are applying to internships, take the first one that is offered. Don't hesitate. Odds are you will enjoy any office you go to.

Legislative Aide Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at United States Congress.

Phone interview, In-person interview, writing test, public policy test.

Interview Questions
    Very quick and virtually no negotiation. There is too much competition.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at United States Congress.

I had a previous manager send my resume to an office on Capitol Hill. They said that they were looking for interns for the fall and I was called in for an interview shortly after. Upon arriving, I was greeted promptly. We went into the members office and a short interview. After, I sent a thank-you letter, and they hired me after that.

Interview Questions
    • They were very standard questions. Nothing out of the ordinary at all.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate anything. It was an unpaid internship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at United States Congress in August 2012.

Application submitted to head of office and legislative correspondent, with whom I had a two person interview. Resume and experience discussed, as well as general current affairs knowledge, specific Congressional knowledge, and applicable legislative/administrative duties.

N/A